PS Flush and TSB O-ring Write Up - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 19th, 2015, 12:24 PM  
Calm like a bomb

PS Flush and TSB O-ring Write Up

So I did a power steering flush and changed the O-ring from the TSB on 12/07. Here is my write-up, hope it helps.

You will need:
10mm socket and wrench (I HIGHLY reccomend purchasing a set of midget wrenches for removing the inlet bolt. These worked beautifully because of the off-set neck.)
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

A couple feet of 3/8in. OD clear tubing. 1/4in. to 5/8in. hose clamp. Again, I highly recommend a remote starter to jog the engine without starting it. A 3/8in. rubber cap. Pair of pliers, long needle nose will work best. O-ring Honda part# 91345-RDA-A01. 3-6 pints of Honda PS fluid (depending on how dirty your system is. Mine was disgusting and pitch black. I used all 6pts. and IMO could've used another 6. A turkey baster or vacuum pump. A sturdy jug, windshield wiper fluid jug worked great for me. A funnel and some clean rags. A jack and stands (optional). And a sammich (also optional).

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Getting started:
First, raise the front of the car enough to keep the wheels from touching the ground and support it with jack stands. Disconnect the battery and unless you have small hands and skinny arms, remove it and the battery tray. This will make connecting the remote starter to the starter solenoid much easier. NVA-AV6 recommended cutting the smaller side lead of the remote starter and crimping on a spade terminal. I didn't as I plan on using it for other vehicles that most likely have different terminals. Remove the small rubber boot carefully (item C) and install the clamp onto the terminal.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Re-install the battery and hook it back up. You can connect the larger lead to the POS+ terminal on the battery now if you'd like, just be sure the remote starter is secured and can't be accidentally triggered as your going to be farting around near pulleys and tennsioned belts.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Next step, on to the PS reservoir!
Evacuate the excess fluid with the turkey baster or pump. Remove the 10mm bolt holding the inlet assembly to the pump body. Be careful not to drop that bolt as there are lots of "resting" spots below and its very tough to get your arm down there.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Gently pull the inlet from the pump body keeping rags handy to catch any spills. Remove the old O-ring from the pump.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Lubricate the new O-ring with some PS fluid and install it where you just pulled the old one from. Note the difference in size. The old one was hard as a rock and flattened out.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Re-install the inlet to the pump. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN THE BOLT! They recommend 11ft.lbs. of torque. I recommend they invert the goddamn thing so you can actually get a socket and torque wrench on it! Whatever.

Next step: Flushing the system.
Remove the smaller (top) of the two hoses on the reservoir and cap the hole. Again, keep a few rags down there to catch any spills or drips.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Take your clear hose and put the hose clamp around it. Fit the clear hose into the hose you just removed from the reservoir making sure it goes in far enough for the hose clamp to seal them together.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Tighten the clamp down, but don't crimp the hoses. Run the hose to your jug. 3ft. of hose should be more than enough.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Open a few bottles of PS fluid and place the funnel on the reservoir. Fill the reservoir to the top. Actuate the remote starter in 10-15 second intervals giving AT LEAST 30 second rests between cycles. Keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir and add accordingly. Once the fluid in the hose is running clear you can stop the flushing process. Let the fluid drain down to the lowest point of the reservoir and remove the rubber cap. Disassemble the flushing hose set-up and re-install the hose to the reservoir. Top off the fluid to the in-between point on the reservoir. Disconnect the battery and remote starter. Reassemble and reconnect the battery system and its components. Start the car and turn the steering wheel back and forth in equal amounts (1/4 turn left then a 1/4 turn right) slowly increasing the amount of travel each time until right before you reach the locks/bumps. While doing this keep an eye on the fluid level. Try not to let it go below the bottom line or above the top line. By the time you have finished this, should be about 5 minutes, the car will be at the "hot" operating temp. Having the cars wheels up helps this process as there is no resistance that can be mistaken for difficulty turning or "hard spots" and also doesn't grind the tires on the ground. Fill the fluid to the top line and you're done!

Go eat a sammich!

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Cheers and good luck!
StevilKnievel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2015, 08:01 PM  

The flushing is not necessary but I'd recommend it.

After I put the new o ring the whine started to come back in a different pitch a couple of days later. So I flushed the system and topped it off and it was like new.
State.Of.Prime is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2015, 06:52 AM  
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by State.Of.Prime View Post
The flushing is not necessary but I'd recommend it.

After I put the new o ring the whine started to come back in a different pitch a couple of days later. So I flushed the system and topped it off and it was like new.
You kind of contradicted yourself there. Technically you are correct saying flushing isn't necessary but that is like saying changing your oil isn't necessary. It, technically, isn't but your going to have some serious problems later. IMO ALL fluids should be flushed/drained/bled regularly.
StevilKnievel is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old February 20th, 2015, 08:22 AM  

Let me reiterate. If the whining is a new sound you can get away with just changing the o ring.

I bought my car used and had no idea how long the previous driver had been driving with the pump like that.

Changing fluids is always good yes but not always necessary. For example someone hearing the sound and identifying it to be located in the PS pump may first flush the fluid but the noise still remains.
State.Of.Prime is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2015, 11:25 AM  

I had a noisy power steering pump only when every cold out on cold starts, replaced the O-ring and it fixed it👍
chrishowe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in