Window not going up or down: How to Replace Window Regulator and Motor - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2i2dk1ny2i3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #1

Window not going up or down: How to Replace Window Regulator and Motor

this was the Driver's Rear door on a 2003 Sedan

Attempt / Install at your own risk!, not liable for any injuries, damages incurred by attempting this, i only put this because theres glass involved and a level of skill

How to: REMOVE and INSTALL OEM Window Regulator and Motor. before i start, on a scale from 1-10, i would give this a 9. partly due to it being single digit weather outside when i did this and the fact that there is a glass Window involved. its doable but like i said, 1-10, i'd give it a 9 for difficulty and may be best as a 2 person job if possible

this was early morning w/single digits so all i had was my flashlight and camera phone, please PM or post if you have questions about anything

1. Remove the Plastic Cover behind door handle w/flathead on left middle. you will see a very tiny slot to pop out the cover to reveal two screws:

2. theres a rubber cover where you open/close door and under that is another screw:

3. next step, if you've never removed any Interior Panels may freak you out but the popping sounds are normal. theres about 7-8 White Plastic Push type Pins that hold the door. if you gently yank starting from bottom left corner pulling out gently, you will hear them pop one at a time. (sorry but no pics of backside of Door, was freezing, will try update later)

behind the Door is a light blue connector for the Window Switch, remove

4. next, door handle, remove metal rod from plastic black connector (circled red) push gently and the rod will come off

5. remove Metal Clip held on by 2 screws BEFORE removing Platics

6. Two layers of White/Yellow plastic covers. underside layer is stuck on usually in newer cars, mine being 10+ years, peeled easily. Top left Black Tab, i used flathead to remove

7. Pic of Window Regulator and Motor being held right side, 3 10mm Bolts

8. THIS is where you gotta be extra Careful. the 2 10mm Bolts (top) and 1 10mm bolt (bottom). Behind this will be the 2 10mm bolts holding the Glass in place so gotta be careful because i'd imagine on a hot summer day, glass may fall straight down so extra precaution

9. right side 10mm bolt holding Glass in place. this bolt is a PITA but manageable depending on where your motor stopped, usually in Window fully closed mode so after removing fore mentioned 3 10mm bolts, bring glass window down a bit and this side can be reached

10. one of the hardest parts of removal is the left side 10mm bolt holding glass in place. i managed to remove it by using the hole for the 1st 3 10mm bolts. probably easier w/a different tool if anyone whos done it can enlighten about this bolt, would appreciate it

pic of Hole used to remove left side Bolt holding window in place (circled red)

11. theres one big grey connector, bottom right side where motor (black) is, after that, i'd slip out old window regulator and motor bottom right side hole. best and easiest place to reinstall new one as well.

unfortunately for me, after going through all this, checking fuse, etc. isn't my fix for my vehicle. going to check the pins on the fore mentioned Grey Connector and make sure theres power getting to it. If you examine it closely, only 2 of the 6 holes are used

hope this helps and will update if/when its fixed

thanks for looking
accord325 likes this.
2i2dk1ny2i3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:36 PM   #2

Great write up!

Def more complex than the last time I did this on an Integra.
State.Of.Prime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 3rd, 2015, 11:36 AM   #3
Calm like a bomb

I will be doing this tomorrow.
StevilKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 4th, 2015, 01:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by State.Of.Prime View Post
Great write up!

Def more complex than the last time I did this on an Integra.
thanks, will try to use high quality digital camera next time since i still gotta pin point the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevilKnievel View Post
I will be doing this tomorrow.
hope it goes well and please be careful w/this one

also, if you could share the tool you used for the left 10mm bolt holding the window, that'd be great
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:31 AM   #5
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2i2dk1ny2i3 View Post
thanks, will try to use high quality digital camera next time since i still gotta pin point the problem

hope it goes well and please be careful w/this one

also, if you could share the tool you used for the left 10mm bolt holding the window, that'd be great
I usually do a write-up with pics and such when I do a project so hopefully it can help someone who might otherwise be afraid to take on a project or just doesn't know what they are doing. I drive a coupe, so this will be slightly different. Same parts and procedures different layout. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old March 5th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #6

I think you are supposed to put the window all the way down, to make the window glass bolts easily accessible, but if the window doesn't move, you obviously have to improvise. Maybe you could cut the cable, and the window would go down, but I don't know if that would work, plus you better have a grip on the glass when you cut the cable.
BLCKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 6th, 2015, 07:56 AM   #7
Calm like a bomb

So I did my motor/regulator swap. I didn't do a write up because you pretty much got it covered in yours. I think the fact that it is a coupe made it MUCH easier than your situation. The access holes on the coupe are larger making it easier to get in to remove the bolts. I removed all paneling and sheeting and forced the window down to the point that the glass retaining bolts were accessible through the service hole. Removed the 2 10mm bolts and pulled the window back up and taped it over the frame to keep it from falling. From there it was pretty straight forward. 2 10mm bolts on the top and 2 10mm bolts on the bottom of the regulator and 3 10mm bolts holding the motor in place. Easy peasy. Thankfully I can't help you out with the bolt removal problem you're having lol.
Old March 7th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
I think you are supposed to put the window all the way down, to make the window glass bolts easily accessible, but if the window doesn't move, you obviously have to improvise. Maybe you could cut the cable, and the window would go down, but I don't know if that would work, plus you better have a grip on the glass when you cut the cable.
window would not budge more than a few inches up or down

i wouldn't recommend cutting the Cable on the motor/regulator

Quote:
So I did my motor/regulator swap. I didn't do a write up because you pretty much got it covered in yours. I think the fact that it is a coupe made it MUCH easier than your situation. The access holes on the coupe are larger making it easier to get in to remove the bolts. I removed all paneling and sheeting and forced the window down to the point that the glass retaining bolts were accessible through the service hole. Removed the 2 10mm bolts and pulled the window back up and taped it over the frame to keep it from falling. From there it was pretty straight forward. 2 10mm bolts on the top and 2 10mm bolts on the bottom of the regulator and 3 10mm bolts holding the motor in place. Easy peasy. Thankfully I can't help you out with the bolt removal problem you're having lol.
great point StevilKnievel, the Coupe could be much more easily accessible than the 4dr.

i didn't have problems removing it and installing the new one. my problem ended up not being the Window Regulator and Motor and may be something electrical. i would warn anyone attempting removal on a 4dr. to heed caution when removing that left side bolt (pictured)
Old March 7th, 2015, 12:17 PM   #9
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2i2dk1ny2i3 View Post
window would not budge more than a few inches up or down

i wouldn't recommend cutting the Cable on the motor/regulator

great point StevilKnievel, the Coupe could be much more easily accessible than the 4dr.

i didn't have problems removing it and installing the new one. my problem ended up not being the Window Regulator and Motor and may be something electrical. i would warn anyone attempting removal on a 4dr. to heed caution when removing that left side bolt (pictured)
Have you replaced the switch(es)? They get crud on the contact points inside and are rendered useless because they no longer complete the circuit when actuated.
Old March 8th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Have you replaced the switch(es)? They get crud on the contact points inside and are rendered useless because they no longer complete the circuit when actuated.
not yet, with other electronics like LCD TVs, you can clean certain connectors w/pure alcohol, i may give this a try before reconfiguring the power

thanks
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #11

I think I'll use this as a guide to fix my passenger window. Thanks for this!
WinstonDouble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 30th, 2015, 08:12 AM   #12
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post

So I had to change my other motor/regulator yesterday. This one was completely dead in the up position. BLCKFLSH is 100% correct in saying cut the cable. Don't remove any of the bolts and have a buddy or some tape to hold the window from dropping. You will need to cut the cables (both sides) to lower it to the access hole in the bottom of the door. Good news is, the replacements are already have the glass retaining bolts in the correct position for installation. Hope this helps future readers.
Old June 24th, 2015, 04:57 AM   #13

update:

with the help of the Electrical Troubleshooting Book, found out the Power Wire for both sides is a 20A Fuse. its says Left Rear Motor is YELLOW/BLUE Stripe

tapped into it and it worked!

ran a Wire w/a 20A Fuse Holder to the other Right Rear Motor also YELLOW/BLUE Stripe and both windows work now

hope this helps anyone who has problems w/rear windows. i even bought another Window Regulator Motor to try again but it was not needed and this is way easier to try before installing a new motor

page showing Power Wire Diagram in our Electrical Troubleshooting Book

attempt to show lighted Window Switch...it was dark out
Old June 24th, 2015, 05:32 AM   #14

I have problem with this
sasa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 24th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #15

what is your problem? all you posted was a pic?
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #16

This was my proble =)
sasa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 1st, 2018, 02:40 AM   #17

i'm bringing back up an old thread of mine rather than starting another thread since its similar...instead of Right Rear window, i'm going to replace the Right Front window regulator motor

pretty much the same as Rear and let me find those pics PhotoBucket deleted
Old April 1st, 2018, 02:48 AM   #18

they should be in order, these were pics at night during removal/install of Left Rear Window i believe:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in