What the hell is this noise?!? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2015, 07:11 AM   #1
Calm like a bomb

What the hell is this noise?!?

So this has been happening for a while now. Driver and passenger sides. Ignition on or off. Acc. on or off. Key in or out of ignition. Day, night, doors opened or closed. So there seems to be no rhyme or reason behind it. It sounds like an electric switch actuating something. A click....clack..click..clack. I recently replaced my DS motor/regulator. It was doing this prior to the switch out. I've checked the plugs at the switches and cleaned them. Passenger side has just shat the bed. Anybody know what this is or have any of you had this problem as well?

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
StevilKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2015, 07:31 AM   #2

Is it coming from the door? You had the ign. on in the vid. Your saying even when its off it does this? It is pretty odd, maybe you have an animal beating a drum very slowly in your door
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord325 View Post
Is it coming from the door? You had the ign. on in the vid. Your saying even when its off it does this? It is pretty odd, maybe you have an animal beating a drum very slowly in your door
Yes it is coming from the door, near the handle. Like I said all variables of key, door and windows still makes the noise. It doesn't seem to do it for very long when the car is off and the key isn't in the ignition but it does still do it.

Old April 7th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #4
Carpe Diem

My car does the same exact thing. Sometimes it happens rarely and sometimes it happens frequently. I've never been able to figure out what it is. I thought maybe it was some electrical gremlin from all my stereo equipment. I mainly notice it when the car is off.

Quote:
It sounds like an electric switch actuating something.
This is exactly what it sounds like to me too.

The sound doesn't always come from the same place for me though. Sometimes I hear it from the door and sometimes the dash.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2015, 12:39 PM   #5

Maybe it's the auto lock switch acting up. Don't our cars automatically lock the doors at certain times?

IE distance of fob from car, and put into gear?
State.Of.Prime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #6
The Jester

Start pulling fuses...
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2015, 04:05 AM   #7
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Pull the drivers power window/door switch assy, if the noise goes away then liquid got in the assembly and is causing a short......
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:37 AM   #8
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
Pull the drivers power window/door switch assy, if the noise goes away then liquid got in the assembly and is causing a short......
I'll give it a shot. Gimme a few days and I'll post any results.

EDIT: It comes from the passenger side as well occasionally. Right before I took the video I had pulled both sides switch assy.'s, took them apart and checked and cleaned them. I roll a day or two with them disassembled to see if that makes any difference.
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #9

If the driver's side lock actuator starts acting up, it will also affect the other doors. I noticed my car doing this once at the car wash but I had left the key in the ignition. I think because the key was in the ignition, the door master switch kept trying to make sure the doors were unlocked. The car is designed so that the doors will not lock with the key in the ignition. Have you tried the battery reset?
BLCKFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:08 AM   #10
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
If the driver's side lock actuator starts acting up, it will also affect the other doors. I noticed my car doing this once at the car wash but I had left the key in the ignition. I think because the key was in the ignition, the door master switch kept trying to make sure the doors were unlocked. The car is designed so that the doors will not lock with the key in the ignition. Have you tried the battery reset?

I have tried a battery reset. I do that in conjunction with pulling the fuse to reset the ecu. This happens though while I'm in gear driving at various speeds etc... You can lock the doors with the key in the ignition running or not with the door switch. IDK if that's what you meant or not. Does anybody know if these had central locking systems? I know a ton of cars around this era began to install automatic CLS when the car reaches 15mph or so for safety reasons.
Old April 9th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #11

My 03 does appear to have cls although it's also been through two different remote starters and I don't know if cls was added with that or not.
Old April 9th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #12
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

I can't say I remeber my 03 ever auto locking while driving.
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #13

Do you have an aftermarket remote starter or alarm at all? It might be tapped into something for cls.
Old April 10th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #14
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by State.Of.Prime View Post
Do you have an aftermarket remote starter or alarm at all? It might be tapped into something for cls.
Nope, 100% stock there, never any remote start or aftermarket alarm.
Old April 10th, 2015, 06:37 AM   #15
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
Nope, 100% stock there, never any remote start or aftermarket alarm.
Same here.
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #16

I have the same sound from time to time, clicking in the door, window won't move, then all of a sudden, everything is fine. This has caused me to need to replace the window actuator twice now. Each time, I'm good for a few months, then the damn thing starts clicking, not working all the time, then it won't move at all. Right now, I'm in the clicking not working all the time phase on my 3rd actuator. I'm sure there is something else causing the issue, just can't put a finger on it.
200366HFP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #17
Calm like a bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
I have the same sound from time to time, clicking in the door, window won't move, then all of a sudden, everything is fine. This has caused me to need to replace the window actuator twice now. Each time, I'm good for a few months, then the damn thing starts clicking, not working all the time, then it won't move at all. Right now, I'm in the clicking not working all the time phase on my 3rd actuator. I'm sure there is something else causing the issue, just can't put a finger on it.
Sounds like my exact problem. I just replaced the motor/reg on the drivers side about 3 weeks ago and its doing the same again. Passengers side has stopped working all together. I can hear the "lighter/softer" click of the switch assembly on both sides making contact. Sounds like this might be factory wiring/relay issues. Anybody have schematics on this? I'm assuming all you guys with this problem are driving coupes right?
Old April 13th, 2015, 07:10 AM   #18
Carpe Diem

I have a sedan and I've never had to actually replace any parts yet. All windows and doors work fine but I get the noise quite frequently.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 16th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #19
Calm like a bomb

UPDATE

Pulled the switch assemblies and drove for a couple days. No change.

I think this has something to do with the auto-up/down feature. Any of you with this problem that don't have auto up/down? Also, how many of you have changed the window switches out with new ones (not junkyard or swap outs)?
Old April 30th, 2015, 08:25 AM   #20
Calm like a bomb

Replaced the passenger side motor/regulator last night. Noise continued. This morning it was acting "flaky" again and I had to push the button repeatedly until it finally rolled down. Process of elimination tells me it isn't the window lock switch because when that is engaged the passenger side does not make any noises when actuating the switch. It isn't the motor/regulator because they are both new. And it isn't the harness as that is clean and all wiring is still intact (to the best of my knowledge) Does anybody know what difference there is between the EX coupe master switch and the LX coupe master switch, aside from the price?
Old May 4th, 2015, 07:50 AM   #21
Calm like a bomb

Still chasing gremlins I had the door apart today, I'm at a loss here. Brand new switches are the next step at almost $200 I really don't want to have to do that. There is an auto-electric specialty shop in my area and I can have them diagnose the problem but there labor is 1hr minimum @ $85 per hr. So if I have them look at it for 2 hours and not find anything or just tell me it's the switch then I'll be out all that $ with nothing to show. I don't think it is the switch because even when the window doesn't operate you can still hear it actuating. The other thing I noticed is that the power windows are wired in with the ignition system. This is starting to go beyond my scope of ability.
Old May 5th, 2015, 04:50 AM   #22
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Just for the hell of it, try driving on your vallet key and leave the remote key at home.....
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #23
Calm like a bomb

I don't have a valet key. Just 2 regular ones. I did switch keys too, to see if that helped, and it did nothing. I will look into getting one cut. As I've been thinking on this quite a bit lately it occurred to me that the clicking and erratic window operation might not have anything in common, save for their location in the door. Is there anything, aside from wires, between the switch harness and the fuse under the hood? A relay or perhaps some type of capacitor used for the auto down feature on the key fob?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in