Idler Tensioner DIY Questions - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By StevilKnievel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2015, 07:55 AM   #1
Calm like a bomb

Idler Tensioner DIY Questions

So, I have read over pretty much everything on the forums for 7G V6's idler tensioner pulley install and there is no common consensus here.
Some say the motor mount has to come out and the engine must be raised to clear the subframe. Some say you can remove the mounting bolts to the tensioner, leaving the pulleys bolts in, and just remove the PS reservoir and it can be worked out that way. Anybody out there done this that can give some input? Mine is on the verge of seizing and I'd like to get this done asap. I'd be happy to do a write-up with pictures for future reference to put this often asked DIY to bed once and for all.
StevilKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 28th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #2

Pull the passenger front tire and work from there. Everything should be easily reached. Good idea to raise the car, just more room to work. I say this as my car basically sits on the ground

You may need to pull the lower timing cover, dont remember.

PS - The main bolt is long, so you will back out on to the frame. Use an open end wrench (not socket) or you could get your $hit pinned to the frame when backing the bolt out. Sucks trying to tighten the bolt back down when it gets pinned
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 28th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #3

Please do a write up...or atleast report back with details on how you got it done...I'll need this at some point this year

Old May 29th, 2015, 09:42 AM   #4
Calm like a bomb

LOL. Will do.
Old May 30th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #5
Calm like a bomb

Just did this. Easy peasy. You do not need to move the engine if you are replacing the whole unit. I will have a diy w/pics soon.

EDIT: Here is the write-up I did http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...r-install.html
07J30 likes this.

Last edited by StevilKnievel; May 31st, 2015 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: Linked to DIY
Old November 18th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #6

Thanks for the writeup, very handy. My '03 is making a whining noise which I thought was the PS pump (which had been leaking), so I changed it out, and did the alternator while I was at it. The engine still whines so I'm assuming it's the idler, as there is no whine if I run the engine with the drive belt removed. Anyone else heard similar sounds due to an idler on it's way out?
Slabman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in