DIY Tensioner Install - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2015, 07:46 PM   #1
Calm like a bomb

DIY Tensioner Install

Finally got around to doing my belt and tensioner replacement and I figured I'd do a write-up because there didn't seem to be too much definitive info out there. So here you go.

Tools:
Jack & Stand, 3/8 drive ratchet, 6pt. 12mm, 14mm and 15mm sockets, 14mm ratcheting box wrench, breaker bar or long handle ratchet (if you don't have a belt tool already)

Jack the car up and remove the passenger tire and fender lining to expose the bottom pulleys. Relocate the PS reservoir by pulling it up out of it's mounting tab and tuck it out of the way. Next remove the belt using the 14mm socket on the bolt shown and applying force toward the firewall. You might need a breaker bar for better leverage but it shouldn't take much pressure.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Once the belt has been removed, break free the long mounting bolt shown in the pic but stop turning it after a few revolutions.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

From the underside remove the 12mm bolt shown.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Using the ratcheting 14mm box wrench, finish removing the long bolt going through the pulley. You can use the socket for a while but eventually you will back it out to the point you are hitting the sub-frame and your wrench will be stuck on the socket/bolt head. You will feel the point you are no longer un-threading the bolt and the tensioner will fall into your hand. Leaving the bolt through the pulley hole, turn the tensioner 90 degrees and pull it out. It will slide through but you might need to give it a slight tug. I had no problem with it.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

****BE SURE TO CHECK THE BACK OF THE NEW TENSIONER TO SEE IF THE PLASTIC SPACER PICTURED WILL BE REUSED!!!***
I did not notice the difference in the back side of the two tensioners and figured the spacer just acted as a keeper for the pulley so it would stay together while unbolted from the block. It wasn't. It put the bottom pulley out of alignment and shredded a $30 belt in about 1/4mi when I took it for a test ride. Had to do the whole job over again.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Once you have installed the new tensioner, torque the long bolt to 60ft-lb and the small one to 16ft-lb and check for any resistance in the pulleys before reinstalling the belt. My new tensioner has a 15mm bolt in it where the old one had a 14mm, yours could be different. Once you have everything installed but before replacing the tire and fender liner, start the car. If you have a helper have them rev the engine to various speeds being sure to spike the throttle a few times while you watch the belt on the pulleys to make sure they are aligned and tracking correctly. I'd recommend safety glasses for that part but you do you my dude.

Cheers and Good luck
StevilKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in