09-12 Acura RL Cylinder Head cover - direct swap for '07 3.0L V6? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By e713
  • 1 Post By salcuta88

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2015, 01:28 PM   #1

09-12 Acura RL Cylinder Head cover - direct swap for '07 3.0L V6?

Okay so I was hoping to just get this done today and surprise everybody but it looks like I'm going to need some help instead as it was not a direct swap.

I've only seen one other user (misschristie on V6P) use the engine cover off of a 09-12 Acura RL but she has been inactive since 2012 (fml). I wasn't keen on sporting the Acura logo so instead I went balls to the wall and ordered the same generation Honda Legend (JDM) version of the cover that actually has the Honda logo instead ()

Acura RL

Honda Legend

Last night I painted it pearl white to match the car and strut bar and it came out perfect.

Today, I go to install it (and the new stay assembly I ordered with it 17147-RKG-A00 which is the same P/N for both the RL & Legend) and this is merely impossible. The stay assembly is nothing like ours on the 3.0L V6 A/T... it does have two bolt holes but instead of being next to one another in the dead center, they are at opposite sides...one higher than the other... so I kept fiddling around with mine, with the new one...trying to come up with a way to see how Christie made it work and it just can't be done.

So, that got me thinking...did she also have to replace the front cylinder head cover with the RL one?? Does anyone know if this would be a direct swap? The P/N at Bernardi Acura Parts is 12310-RKG-000
EDIT to add illustrations of noticeable differences - I would say they are not swappable:

Does anyone know what I'd have to do to make this work? I'm already invested and don't want it to become a wall ornament

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 7/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)

Last edited by DreaminAccord; October 11th, 2015 at 08:49 PM..
DreaminAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 11th, 2015, 01:30 PM   #2

Some pics I took of the two assemblies and our bolt holes:

This is the cylinder head cover I'm referring to:

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Old October 11th, 2015, 04:39 PM   #3

Looking at Christie's pic of her 2007 LX V6, closely, I see that she only has one black plastic clip fastened. The one on the passenger side appears to be raised.

Since the RL cylinder head swap will be a no-go I guess I'm going to have to find a way to modify / drill this stay assembly to work! I'm out of ideas lol but her pic is keeping me hopeful that this can in fact be accomplished! Good thing too because there is a no return policy at jp-carparts ha

Just FYI for anyone interested, I verified that the 2007-2008 Honda Legend / Acura RL engine cover IS a direct swap to our 7G Accords - same stay assembly.

Old October 14th, 2015, 11:04 AM   #4
6 Speed-O

This is also on my to do list. This one is different than the one you got, different year but same gen RL i believe.
According to Milan, "About a 5 minute install. You just have to bend the stock metal bracket because the holes don't quite line up. (Source)

Hope that helps, I have yet to acquire this part.
DreaminAccord likes this.
e713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 16th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #5

Cool project, Ben. Post it on DA too once completed. Is this the "ninja kit"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DreaminAccord likes this.
salcuta88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 17th, 2015, 01:46 AM   #6

sell me the cover I'll show you how to install it
Joseph Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 18th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by e713 View Post
This is also on my to do list. This one is different than the one you got, different year but same gen RL i believe.
That's actually the 05-08 Acura RL / Honda Legend engine cover. It does use the same P/N as our 03-07 Accord's stay assembly so he is correct, it is a direct swap.

However, this one is from the 09-12 Acura RL / Honda Legend that received a new manifold (same as our 09-12 Acura RL and I believe the 4G TL) with a completely different stay assembly.

I posted install pics of the custom holes I drilled to match our manifold and was in fact successful in getting this installed today!! You can see the pics in the "What did you do to your 7G" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Lee View Post
sell me the cover I'll show you how to install it
lol

(Sold 7/26/17)

(Purchased 5/18/17)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in