Intermittent Engine Rattle-2006 V6 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #1

Intermittent Engine Rattle-2006 V6

Hey all,

I have a bit of an issue with the '06 Accord V6 6-speed that I picked up recently. There is an intermittent rattling noise coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. It happens frequently, but it may go 30 seconds or so without noise and then start up again. When it's occurring, it's is not rhythmic at all but sporadic. It did become more aggressive when the fans kicked on. It almost makes the same sound a loose heatshield would make, so I checked all the heatshields and all seem to be secured properly. But it really seems like something rattling because of vibration. Just wondering if anyone has any guesses on what it may be...I'm mechanically inclined and I do have a mechanic's stethoscope, but I'm away from home (and all my tools) for a while and I'd like to come as close as I can to a diagnosis over the internet.

Sounds similar to this, except not as constant (not my video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCBc...ature=youtu.be

Thanks!
tibug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2015, 11:23 AM   #2
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

I don't think it is the power steering pump issue.

Accessory Belt tensioner pulley maybe?
WHEEELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 21st, 2015, 11:57 PM   #3

Huh, I suppose it could be that, I'll try to take the belt off tomorrow and see if it still makes noise. Thanks!

Old November 22nd, 2015, 06:55 PM   #4

I took the belt off today and ran it. No noise. I pulled the tensioner off and found that the upper pulley is a bit gritty and clearly the bearing is worn. I suspect the upper tensioner pulley is at fault, but the idler feels a little iffy as well, and it may well be the tensioner assembly itself is making the noise. In any event, I'm just going to replace the whole damn thing because I'm not interested in chasing the rattle, and it's only $63 for the whole thing. This is what I've ordered:

Gates 38332 Tensioner Assembly
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...P0FV38SR0MSFBN

I've used Gates pulleys/belts/tensioners almost exclusively for Subaru parts and been happy. I cheaped out and used a Dayco hydraulic timing belt tensioner once. Failed in a week. Never again.

I also ordered 1x Honda part # 90002-RCA-A01, which is the lower idler bolt (tha big long one). The bolt was really tight and the socket slipped off and messed up the head. It's still plenty usable and would torque to spec no problem...but I'd prefer to have a healthy bolt in the event that I ever have to remove it again.

Today I also changed the tranny fluid with GM Synchromesh. Feels good so far, no 3rd gear grinds yet, but the grinds only happened a few times before this.
Old November 25th, 2015, 11:02 AM   #5

Alright alright alright. Noise gone after I replaces the tensioner. I noticed that the old tensioner creaked a lot while I was winding the spring to remove the belt, but I thought it might be normal. The new one was completely silent and also more difficult to turn, so I thing the spring was just dying in the old tensioner.

Solved, thanks for the reply whoever you are ^^ (I'm on my phone so i can't see your name while replying).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in