AT to AT swap info - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NVA-AV6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:47 AM   #1
Calm like a bomb

AT to AT swap info

Again, after much searching and reading, ad nauseum, I haven't found the info I'm looking for. It seems strange to me that there aren't any threads on this already.

I'm looking for info on doing an AT to AT swap. I've decided against an MT swap for 2 reasons. 1. The cost 2. I can't find a mechanic who is comfortable with all the minutia and fab headaches that will come with it. I drive an 05 V6 (J30A4) AT Coupe. My trans seems to be ok for now but I have a bad feeling its time is coming to an end and would like to get ahead of it. I'd prefer to get the parts needed and have them built to await the swap instead of waiting til it leaves me dead in the water.

My main questions are, is there a TL AT that is a direct bolt on? From what I've gathered though they seem to have more problems than the Accord AT does but they offer a LSD in certain models, which I am very interested in. I'm also looking at the TL so I can swap the ECU out as well to be able to tune it, as our 7G AT's are not tunable. If this is a viable option what years would I be looking for and what do I need to consider before purchasing, i.e, 3.2L not bolting up, ECU interface issues with the Accord, etc.

If it comes down to it I can just buy another 7G AT but I'm not too sure about that for the reasons listed above and also the fact that I have found virtually nothing as far as fortified internals for the Accord AT.

If I missed any links outlining this stuff please let me know. And if anyone out here has found somewhere that sells "HD" AT's for the 7G's that would be great to know as well.

As always, thanks for the help!
StevilKnievel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2016, 04:17 AM   #2
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Look for a 06 oddy trans and flex plate. There are only a couple of things you would have to deal with to get a trans that has probably not been beat on and has a much better torque converter, internally as far as clutches and hydraulic controls all of the 5spd ATs are the same. To use the oddy you will need to also swap over a small sub harness on the "front/right" of the trans and either swap over your heat exchanger or run a external cooler (I use a B&M plate and fin style).
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 26th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #3
Calm like a bomb

I'm guessing you're telling me to stay away from the TL trans? Will I be able to run a TL ECU with the Accord/Ody AT? Or is that an extensive swap all on it's own, or even possible?

The sub harness you are talking about, are those the pressure switches or something else? And I do intended on deleting the heat exchanger in favor of an external T&F type cooler with an inline filter. I don't know too much regarding the AT's once the case has been cracked open and it's guts are out but is there any option for beefing them up, as in aftermarket stuff?

Old May 27th, 2016, 04:35 AM   #4
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevilKnievel View Post
I'm guessing you're telling me to stay away from the TL trans? Will I be able to run a TL ECU with the Accord/Ody AT? Or is that an extensive swap all on it's own, or even possible?

The sub harness you are talking about, are those the pressure switches or something else? And I do intended on deleting the heat exchanger in favor of an external T&F type cooler with an inline filter. I don't know too much regarding the AT's once the case has been cracked open and it's guts are out but is there any option for beefing them up, as in aftermarket stuff?
The trans does not care which ECU is running it, any of the above will do fine. Yes the sub harness is the one for the trans temp sensor, one of the pressure switches, trans control grounds, and I think that is all that runs thru it. I am actually dropping one of these into a 03 CLS next week. As for dumping the heat exchanger, the oddy does not use one and already has the connections to go to a external cooler.Look at parts 14 & 15 in the parts diagram below.

AT OIL LEVEL GAUGE - ATF PIPE (-'06) 2006 Honda ODYSSEY Parts EX 5 Speed Automatic - Genuine OEM Honda Parts
Old May 28th, 2016, 01:29 PM   #5
Calm like a bomb

Thank you for the help. I will try to pm you when it's time to start buying parts, if that's ok with you.
Old May 29th, 2016, 04:14 AM   #6
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

This is pretty much the only part you should need other than fluids.

B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers 70268 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Now for customers I usually also replace the filter element and pressure switches.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:17 AM   #7
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
This is pretty much the only part you should need other than fluids.

B&M SuperCooler Oil Coolers 70268 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Now for customers I usually also replace the filter element and pressure switches.
I've had someone recommend removing what they called the "pill box" in place of an aftermarket radiator which is supposed to be the stock cooler, but acts as more of a heater. Would you happen to know what piece they meant by this and how to replace it?

I think this is similar to something you did on WHEELMAN's car, but I wanted to make sure.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 29th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #8
Mr. Detail

The '06/07 Accord 5AT is supposed to be pretty good, popular swap into the TL's on acurazine.

Definitely should consider an auxiliary transmission cooler and at least replacing the seals before you put in the replacement. And go with Redline D4 ATF, works great in Honda automatics.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 30th, 2016, 01:23 AM   #9
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwax View Post
The '06/07 Accord 5AT is supposed to be pretty good, popular swap into the TL's on acurazine.

Definitely should consider an auxiliary transmission cooler and at least replacing the seals before you put in the replacement. And go with Redline D4 ATF, works great in Honda automatics.
Yup. Still running my custom slip blend, works well.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 30th, 2016, 04:17 AM   #10
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
I've had someone recommend removing what they called the "pill box" in place of an aftermarket radiator which is supposed to be the stock cooler, but acts as more of a heater. Would you happen to know what piece they meant by this and how to replace it?

I think this is similar to something you did on WHEELMAN's car, but I wanted to make sure.
Part #1 in the parts diagram below....

AT OIL LEVEL GAUGE (V6) 2005 Honda ACCORD COUPE Parts EX (V6) 5 Speed Automatic - Genuine OEM Honda Parts

Now to make adding a external cooler clean and trouble free you can replace a few parts with those from the oddy. Parts 14, 15, 2X of 17 and 4X of 26 from this diagram.

AT OIL LEVEL GAUGE - ATF PIPE (-'06) 2005 Honda ODYSSEY Parts EXL 5 Speed Automatic - Genuine OEM Honda Parts

And part 9 from the second diagram in the link below.

AT TRANSMISSION CASE (-'06) 2005 Honda ODYSSEY Parts EXL 5 Speed Automatic - Genuine OEM Honda Parts
oraclem19 likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in