Suspension vibration only at highway speed - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD TECHNICAL DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Suspension vibration only at highway speed

I have a 2006 v6 6 speed sedan. I bought it about 5 months ago, and ever since I've owned it I have issues with vibrations but only at highway speeds. Starting around 70mph, the steering wheel begins to vibrate, and it gets worse up to 80mph, where it becomes quite annoying. At more than 80mph, the vibrations persist but they don't get worse. So far I've done the legend caliper upgrade with new 6 speed coupe rotors (old rotors were warped), rotated the tires, put 2 new tires on the front, and got the tires balanced. None of these changes got rid of the vibrations completely, although one of my tires was definitely bad because changing the front tires helped a good bit. I do need an alignment, car pulls to the left a bit. Might that cause the issue? I just don't know why it would drive fine at every speed under 70mph, and then start vibrating at 70mph. Suspension seems fine, no issues other than the vibration.
#1Gaza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 26th, 2018, 01:37 PM   #2
J35 _ 5-Speed A/T

See if the alignment remedies the vibration.

If not, then it could be "slop" in the suspension. Car is 12 years old so bushings, etc., may need to be replaced.

For comparison, my 01 V6 accord has no vibration at all and is smooth as butter in excess (very much so ) of 80. But I did replace the entire front suspension with Honda components 2 years ago.
WHEEELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2018, 10:09 AM   #3
yal

Might have to find a store with a high speed balancer maybe?
yal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 29th, 2018, 06:14 PM   #4
J-Spec

Most likely cause is a CV joint. Generally you have to replace the whole axle shaft which is fairly easy. You'll have to figure out which side first.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2018, 06:59 PM   #5

I’ve been a mechanic for 20 years now I am ASE certified in all areas except for manual transmission an automatic transmission. The vibration you are getting sounds a lot like a tire that is out of balance, a wheel that is not perfectly round and may be bent, or excessive road force of the tire. Look for a shop that has a road force balancer and have the tires inspected and roadforced if you have the money it should cost about $100 to match them to a lower road force amount. Alignment will never cause any kind of a vibration unless you hit something or got into an accident hard enough to bend a steering components and you would definitely know this because the tire would visually appear crooked. The only kind of vibration that a CV axle can cause is a vibration under acceleration. And this vibration would only happen when you are taking off from a stop and should only last until about 40 or 50 miles an hour worst case scenario. Balancing in a nutshell kind of goes something like this, your tires for example are about 26 inches in diameter your wheels can be a 14 inch or up to a 20 inch wheel on a Honda. CV axle is typically about 5 inches in diameter. The larger the diameter of something is the easier it is to cause a vibration. For example if I took one of your wheels and threw it out of balance by 1 ounce you would feel it in the steering wheel at speeds between 50 miles an hour and 80 miles an hour. If I threw one of your axles out of balance by one ounce it would be a lot harder for you to feel that axle out of balance and it would typically be at a much higher speed that you would feel that vibration come in. It takes centrifugal force to make that vibration something that you can feel. There’s really not much anything else I can think of to help you out other than if the vibration is in the steering wheel your vibration problem is in the front of your car. If the vibration is something you feel in the seat of your pants and is not in the steering wheel and your vibration is coming from the rear of your vehicle. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.
kg6nlb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2018, 07:00 PM   #6

There is no such thing as a high-speed balancer no matter what anyone tries to tell you.
kg6nlb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2018, 12:01 AM   #7

Road force 😛. 5 bucks it’s your axles, especially if you have after makret one
Old July 3rd, 2018, 09:20 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies. Axles are stock as far as I know. I searched around the forums and there are lots of reports of issues with vibrations, but only under acceleration. My car doesn't have any problems under acceleration, just vibrations at a steady speed over ~70mph. Definitely a front end problem. What's odd is that I replaced the front tires and tried swapping the front and back rims and the vibrations still persist. Makes me think that the problem isn't entirely rim or tire related. I need to get an alignment and see what that does for me. Car sat for the whole day at a local shop yesterday and when I went to pick it up they still hadn't done the alignment. Dumb F*ks in SC have no work ethic whatsoever.
Old July 9th, 2018, 07:00 AM   #9

Finally got the alignment done, and I asked the shop to check the balance on all 4 wheels. Turns out my alignment was indeed way out of wack, one of my wheels had all the weights fall off and was totally out of balance, and one of my rims is bent. With the alignment done and tires all balanced, basically all the vibration in the front is gone. Still getting some vibration from the bent rim but at least I know what the source is now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in