'04 TL Sway Bars on V6M6 - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2004, 06:38 PM   #1
GRH

'04 TL Sway Bars on V6M6

Folks,

Just thought you might like to hear about an effective and affordable suspension modification for 7th gen V6 coupes - mine happens to be a 6 speed, but it will be fine for an auto as well.

I recently purchased front and rear sway bars specified for the '04 TL and had them installed on my '03 coupe. Let me offer thanks to Mike at Acura Carland in Duluth, GA - he offers great service and pricing.

Some particulars:

Front bar 27.2 MM vs. 25.4 mm stock
Rear bar 20 MM vs 14 MM stock
Frame bushings and holders were needed for front and rear bars.

Cost was approx. $130 for all the parts and another $140 to have them installed at a local shop (I'm far too old to be crawling under cars these days). This is significantly cheaper than aftermarket pieces of the same size. If you install them yourself, you can save a good bit more.

Impressions: Physics tells us that without a change in the gear ratios or wheel and tire size, steering will not get faster. However, it feels as if the car responds more crisply - less drama also describes it. Of course, with this dramatic a change in sway bar sizes, body lean has been reduced significantly and there is less trie squeal with the stock Michelins. For us 'mature guys' (read older) that aren't looking for big drops and the resultant stiff ride, this seems to be an excellent way to tighten up the handling on these cars.

It would be interesting to see TOV retest the V6M6 on the Dragon's tail with this set up.

By the way, my wife has an '04 LX sedan and I picked up the 15 MM rear bar from the '04 TSX for her car. I'll let you know how that works out once installed.

Rick
GRH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #2
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
GRH..

I taken this means both front and back fit perfectly? Some member had impression that front will not fit...

Can you list out the complete part #s as well?
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2004, 07:24 PM   #3
Silver Sleeper

well unfortunately the tsx rear sway bar is only 2mm larger than the sedan rear sway. probably wont feel anything. i put the cls one on mine.

its great

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03accord03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 18th, 2004, 07:27 PM   #4
I'm still not 21.

Send a message via AIM to BConly
GRH, I'm very interested in doing this... i know its a lot of trouble, but could you possibly list out all the parts that I would need to order?
BConly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #5

Can you get polyurethane bushings with these? Where? I've heard that's an important component and was also why I was just going to order the Neuspeed set since it comes with em.

I may have to do this now since that's the first confirmation that the front sway fits.
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #6
I AM LOST....

Yeah..!! cheap AND working mods Rulez!!!
Old January 18th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #7
GRH

Folks,

For Brex: Both bars were 'plug and play'. Just remember that frame bushings and brackets must be replaced as well.

For 03Accord03: Actually the TSX rear bar is only 1 MM larger -15 vs 14 (yes, the LX I4 sedan has the same size front and rear bars as the V6 models).

For Capital: Don't know about poly bushings - I'm not interested in the increase in harshness and noise.

For all those looking for the part numbers: I'll post them tomorrow.

I just noticed a typo (trie) - hate that.

Rick
Old January 18th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #8

So anyone know where to pick up some polyurethane bushings, cause I'm down with buying the TL bars and some bushings instead of paying $350 for Neuspeed stuff.

Someone post a link to the cheapest place to get acura parts as well.
Old January 18th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #9
SIN

would the 04' TL sway bars work on 04' V6 sedans?
thats some good ifo GRH
SIN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2004, 09:42 PM   #10
bleh

does anyone know if the rear bars are solid or hollow?
frank828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #11
bleh

btw this should also mean that the rear sway bars from the 04 tl should fit the 6th gen as well
Old January 18th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #12
TQ challenged

20mm TL fits 6th gen? Anybody want to be the first to try it?
ironmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #13
bleh

well the bar design i mean should fit, i have no clue about the bushings though.
Old January 19th, 2004, 07:57 AM   #14
Silver Sleeper

Quote:
Originally posted by frank828
Quote:
For 03Accord03: Actually the TSX rear bar is only 1 MM larger -15 vs 14 (yes, the LX I4 sedan has the same size front and rear bars as the V6 models).
then why bother with such a small difference? sorry if i seem annoying..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03accord03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2004, 08:05 AM   #15
Who's yo daddy?

Quote:
Originally posted by frank828
Solid.

Mackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2004, 08:05 AM   #16
GRH

03Accord03,

Don't apologize for asking questions - that's the Socratic method of learning.

As for a 1 MM size difference in sway bars? I dunno? Maybe because the mountain is there.

Remember, this is for my wife's car and the last thing I want to do is induce unexpected oversteer, especially since real world handling on her car is quite good - I have added 16" wheels and tires from an '03 V6. Iwould expect improved 'at the limits' response with the new bar. I will let you know.

You know, in the final analysis, for the $50 or so it will cost me - I will install this one myself - I thought it was worth a try.

Rick
Old January 19th, 2004, 08:06 AM   #17
Who's yo daddy?

Quote:
Originally posted by GRH
Folks,

Rick
The 7th gen V6 Sedan rear sway bar is 13mm... just an FYI.

Old January 19th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #18
GRH

Mackdaddy,

You're right. I have restricted my research to the LX I4 sedan and V6M6 coupe.

Interesting that Honda puts beefier rear bars on the I4 sedan than the V6 sedan. That's a quick upgrade for the V6 sedan folks. BTW, I have a 14 MM rear bar with bushings and brackets available to any V6 sedan driver in the Atlanta area that would like to give it a try. The only cost - a review after installation.

Rick
Old January 19th, 2004, 08:21 AM   #19
Who's yo daddy?

Quote:
Originally posted by GRH
Mackdaddy,

You're right. I have restricted my research to the LX I4 sedan and V6M6 coupe.

Interesting that Honda puts beefier rear bars on the I4 sedan than the V6 sedan. That's a quick upgrade for the V6 sedan folks. BTW, I have a 14 MM rear bar with bushings and brackets available to any V6 sedan driver in the Atlanta area that would like to give it a try. The only cost - a review after installation.

Rick
I'm actually planning a +3mm bump to 16mm for the rear sway this spring. I feel this will give me enough of a change in handling to satisfy my daily driver needs.

Let us know your "extended time frame" driving impressions on the TL sway setup. Sometimes it takes a few weeks / months to really get a feel for these types of mods.

Thanks,
Jim

Old January 19th, 2004, 10:54 AM   #20
I'm still not 21.

Send a message via AIM to BConly
When ya get a chance, can you post up those part numbers? Thanks a million
BConly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #21

Are the bars the same for the i4? Will these bars fit the i4?

Thanks,
Mike
crazymike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #22
I AM LOST....

Quote:
Originally posted by crazymike
Are the bars the same for the i4? Will these bars fit the i4?

Thanks,
Mike
Yes, I think so.......... all of us have the same suspension setup..
Old January 19th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #23

GRH and all others looking for Honda sway bar upgrades please go into profile and then search for all threads by me as I have posted several on this sway bar topic.
However in a nutshell from personal experience do not waste your time using anything other than the 17mm 6th gen rear sway bar on any 7th gen accord IF you are still using the stock 25.4mm front bar. You will reduce body roll by about 75-80% and you will NOT have oversteer. You will still have very small amount of understeer. All you need are the bar & 2 frame bushings.
BAR #52300-S82-AO1 $40.22 list price
BUSHINGS #52306-S82-AO1 $6.44 list price each
I also added the 7th gen 6mt strut tower bar to tighten the front body structure, it is cheaper than the after market bars.
Please GRH gives us a detailed ride and handling analysis of your car. I for one may step up to the 04 tl 6mt bars depending on what the ride is like.
With the 17mm rear bar the ride is somewhat harsh on a rough or broken surface road. If this kind of ride would bother you then use the 6th gen 16mm rear bar. I add this last comment because some of you may be more sensitive to ride quality than others. I for one sure am as I am 53 years old and have driven and modified every car I have owned exept 1 that I blew the engine on after 1 month and then scrapped the car, it was old anyway. I still want a good handling car but I don't want it to shake the fillings out of my teeth.
never stock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 19th, 2004, 05:12 PM   #24
GRH

Folks,

A quick update. I have been unable to find the receipt from Acura Carland with the part numbers and unfortunately the '04 TL parts diagrams are not yet on the web. However, I will call Mike Cole (their Internet parts guy) first thing tomorrow. He said he hoped to sell a bunch of these sets, so I'm certain we'll get the numbers for you ASAP. If anyone can't wait, give him a ring yourself at 770-641-8807. Be sure to ask for '04 TL 6-sp bars as they are larger than those on the auto. Either way I will try to get the numbers tomorrow.

One addional comment: Please don't take my original post as an endorsement or, for that matter, a recommendation on size, type, manufacturer, color, smell, application or any other discriptor of sway bars. I was just letting you know what I had decided on.

Rick
Old January 20th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #25

Thanks for the info GRH. I live in ATL also and I was wondering where you had your sway bars installed? I think I might give Mike a call to get the same set up.
beerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 20th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #26
QUICK!!! someone Beer me!

Send a message via AIM to frryy
i'm not sure if Frank asked this, but would the 04 TL rear sway fit the 6th gen ???

Because I remember a thread where someone put the 03 CL-S sway on a 7th gen with success.

So i figures, whatever fits on a 7th gen , must also fit on a 6th gen....

if this is true, i think i'd rather get this than the 03 CL-S sway. I know its only 1mm in difference (19mm VS 20mm), but hey, whatever's better, right?

frryy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 20th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #27
I AM LOST....

Well.. Neuspeed has the same part # for 6gen and 7gen rear sway.. so it should be logical to assume a TL, which in this case fits 7gen, would also fit 6gen...
Old January 20th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #28
GRH

Folks,

Mike Cole from AcuraCarland just faxed the numbers to me. Here you go:

Front
Bar: 51300-SEP-A01
Bushings: 51306-SDA-A01
Bracket: 51308-SDA-A00

Rear
Bar: 52300-SEP-A11
Bushings: 52306-SEP-A11
Bracket: 52308-S3M-A00

These numbers are for the '04 TL 6sp.

Important: I had distributed an incorrect phone number for Mike in an earlier post - dis-regard. Mike's correct phone number is 770-623-9211.

Good luck everyone.

Rick
Old January 20th, 2004, 01:56 PM   #29

Sooo anyone know where I can get some polyurethane bushings that will fit? And some of that tape (not sure what kind) that makes it so they don't squeak...

Then I guess I can grab the bars and brackets from this Mike dude!
Old January 20th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #30

What about these? I checked the energy suspension site- anyone know if they make em for the Accord:

ANTI-SWAY BAR (Stabilizer Bar) END LINKS & BUSHINGS

• Your anti-sway bar system will work at its maximum efficiency, like it's supposed to!
• Replaces that original, short lived, and "too-soft" rubber .
• Easy to install with basic tools.
Economy, increased efficiency, and easy installation are just some of the reasons these products are so popular. Working with our Anti-Sway Bar End Link sets, our HYPER-FLEX™ bushings make your vehicle's anti-sway bar system much more effective. In effect, it's almost like buying an upscale/higher performance anti-sway bar system! Dollar-for-dollar Energy Suspension's anti-sway bar end links and anti-sway bar bushings offer the greatest improvement in performance handling on cars, trucks and sport utility vehicles! Our anti-sway bar bushings are available either as standard type (shown at left) or greaseable type (shown below). Sets come complete with corrosion resistant zinc and gold irradiate-plated strong 3/8" grade 5 bolts, nylon insert lock nuts, heavy gauge washers, and mounting brackets. Additionally, our special formula HYPER-FLEX™ bushings assure long lasting performance!
Our HYPER-FLEX™ Greaseable Anti-Sway Bar Bushings feature zerk type fittings, allowing for easy and periodic greasing with a common grease gun. These bushings are designed with unique channels that allow for the lubricating grease to migrate to where it is needed, at the bushing and bar contact area. Greasing also reduces the chance of squeaking as the bar turns during normal operation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in