Accord V6 Forum banner

New Rims, whats next?

741 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  RedAccordEvan 
#1 ·
so i got a killer deal on craigslist saturday at an amazing price!

managed to pick up a set of 18inch 5zigen FN1OR-C rims in gunmetal gray wrapped up in two brand new toyo proxes4's on the front (still has nubs) and the back tires are some older nankings, dont remember the model off the top of my head, but it has the same tread pattern and rating as the ns-2, with about 5k miles (around 90% tread left)

anyway, i got them dirt cheap, so cheap im embarrased to even toll you guys for the sake of the sellers dignity :p

the only defect is that the rims are a little old and the paint is starting to chip off, so i'm going to go back and do a respray in a couple weeks.

i didnt get the chance to throw the new wheels on yesterday or saturday night, but im going over to my buddies this evening to use his garage and throw them on hella faster than i can with my tools. So i'll post some pics later tonight.

anyway, with the spirit of new rims sporting some beautiful tread pattern and aggression i want to clear up the problem of my attrocious wheel gap. i've been looking at the eibach sportline springs, because i'm in a bit of a budget being that i start college in fall (and want to do some more motor work. ;]

so my question is where do you think i should go, i like slammed cars, i LOVE slammed cars. i live in rochester ny, so you guys may have heard of RocDub's and i'm mad jealous of all the airbags at the roclife meets. now the two issues i see in front of me are cost, and practicality. being that i live in rochester new york, we have some of the harshest and most bipolor winters, and this is my daily driver year round so i need that considered which draws me to coilovers. but i cant really afford to spend more than 4-500 dollars total.

so the things i've come accross that i like are the eiback prokit and sportline, i favor the drop of the sportline though but needing to get me through winter i dont want to turn my car into a snow plow. and i dont really want to spend the money on higher end coilovers.. so the options i see aside from springs alone, plus possibly sway bar, is either a form&function coilover kit, which i know very little about, and stretches my budget, so i dont want to get it unless it is very much worth it, or the other thing i've come across, the ground controll coilover kit. i'm also not really familiar with coilover sleeves so i'm looking for some oppinions here.

eibach sportline, cheap coilovers, ground control sleeves, or do a slight drop with the prokit, when i really want it slammed.

See less See more
#3 ·
well im not really set on coils. all the coilover cars i've rode in were either too bouncy or too stiff and i've not really been a fan. my friends M3 runs a spring set up set for track and i really enjoy the way it rides thats why i'm looking at a spring set up with sway bars.

however like i said my only concern is local weather conditions, i have a moderate amount of pot holes in the area and now running a lower pro tire, i dont want to damage either my wheels or suspension if i sit too low. thats where coilovers come into play. the thing i'm asking is whether or not the sportline will be too low to handle occasianal rough roads (not extreme conditions since i live work and go to school around pretty wealthy up tight towns that care a lot about road and town conditions), but still minor flaws and bumps here and there before they get repaired.

and i was asking for an oppinion on the ground control sleeve coilovers, since i'm an eibach fan and it seems like a simple solution to jump between ride heighs without running a full coilover.

if the two inch drop is still driveable in snow then i'd take the eibach sportline over tein or megan coilovers or what have it be. but if they are not i'm curious about the ground controll/eibach sleeve coilovers.

#4 ·
There are different qualities of coil overs. If you like being "slammed", springs are not gonna cut it.

Cheap coils can be bouncy, but most of the middle range coils have adjustable dampers and springs with different spring rates to suit your comfort level.

If you get a decent set of quality coils, they shouldn't be bouncy at all...

#5 ·
yes. however i cannot afford a nicer set of coilovers and i would like to do something fairly soon, the only coils in my budget are the form&function's which i hardly know anything about, they seem like a cheep chinese company if i'm not mistaken. and i'd like to go slammed, but its really not condition optimal, since i live around a lot of crappy roads, and my driveway alone is stone and has potholes. i'm looking for the two inch drop that the eibach sportlines provide, im just wondering if that is too low for moderate to slightly rough roads. and i'm also asking if anyone knows how the eibach coilover sleeves compare to the eibach sportline and pro kit springs for stiffness, performance, and quality.

#6 ·
so i got my new rims on today and am loving the look but hating the gap!

however, that pictures a bit of an exagguration, the diameter of the wheel is the same as stock with these tires, it just looks worse because the car was just on jacks so it hadn't settled. and i'm parked on a hill.

anyway, i think i'm just going to go for the sportline on stock shocks for the time being. once i get some more money i'll toss in some tokiko blues

btw, what do you all think would be a good color for the rims? you cant really tell from here, but the paint is peeling around the lip and when i take them off to install new suspension i'm going to sand down and paint the rims so it looks good as new. however i cant decide if i should keep the same color, do a darker gray, matte black, or gloss black. what do you think? if you cant tell im trying to go for a black-out. ive got black head lights, blacked out my door trim and grille, window tints are next, and i may or may not fog the tail lights, at least partially.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.