Sway bar options - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2004, 11:38 PM   #1
Illusion-Lighting

Sway bar options

THere's been a lot of talk lately about swya bars for the 7th gen Accords. What makes it even mroe confusing is that the coupe and sedans, the I4 and V6, the autos and manuals all have different combinations. If someoen has a list of all the stock sway bar sizes for each combination I think it would be great to list them all down at one location to make it easier to find. Also a list of all the manufactures or other vehicles sway bars that we can use (IE Acura TSX, TL) sway bar size would probably be helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Illusion-Lighting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2004, 01:45 AM   #2

Here is a list that I am sure will not be complete for Honda/Acura sway bars. I am doing this from memory as I can not find my notes, this info comes from searching Majestic Honda and Garland Acura websites.

Front bars;
25.4mm 03-04 accord, 04 tl 5at
27.2mm 04 tl 6mt

Rear bars;
13mm 03-04 accord v6 5at sedan
14mm 03-04 accord i4 sedan, v6 6mt coupe, there are 2 different pn listed for these bars
15mm 03 tl
16mm 98-02 accord sedan
17mm 98-02 accord coupe, 04 tl 5at
19mm 03 tl-s & cl tl and cl may use this bar for more years than listed
20mm 04 tl 6mt

Whether the car is an auto, manual, sedan or a coupe the listed sway bars will interchange.
27.2mm front bar requires the correct frame brackets and bushings.
19 & 20mm rear bars require the correct frame brackets.
All other rear bars need only the correct frame bushings.
All cars use your original end links front and back.

Tim
never stock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:20 AM   #3
Illusion-Lighting

Front bars:
27.2mm Comptech 99-03 TL, 98-02 Accord
27mm Neuspeed 99-03 TL, 98-02 Accord, 03+ Accord

Rear bars:
22mm Comptech 03 TSX, 98-02 Accord, 03+ Accord
19mm Nerspeed 99-03 TL, 99-02 Accord, 03+ Accord

The Comptech rear bars are all the same, as are the Neuspeed rear bars.

As for which bars will fit on the 03+ Accords, the 99-03 TL/CL, 04+ TL, 98+Accord, 03+TSX all share the same rear bars so they are all interchangeable.

Should this become a sticky for members that are looking for stuff like this?

Last edited by Illusion-Lighting; February 2nd, 2004 at 07:32 AM..
Illusion-Lighting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:19 PM   #4

Never Stock

From reading your posts, it appears you have installed the front upper strut bar from the accord coupe to your accord sedan and you have installed the rear sway bar from the 98-2002 accord coupe. I read in a past posting that this set up reduces oversteer by 75-80%. have you experienced any oversteer with this step up?

Thanks

Mer
98Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:41 PM   #5

Mer, the strut tower bar is an easy install, I do not know if there is any difference between it and the acura bar.
Yes it does reduce understeer a lot, no I have not had any oversteer with this setup. I use Box Canyon as one of my test roads, it runs between Simi Valley and the San Fernando Valley. Some of the corners can only be taken at about 25-30 mph, they are banked and not all smooth, they also narrow and you must be very careful not to hit anything. They front still slides first, I use 34 psi in the front tires and 26-27 in the rear, my tires are stock.
I do think at some point that I will use the 04 tl 6mt bars to remove the rest of the body roll and at least front camber kits to get a little more negative camber in the front which will also reduce understeer some more.

Tim
Old February 2nd, 2004, 12:52 PM   #6

Thanks Tim

The reason I am concerned is that the car is my wife's. As such. I am sure any over steer will freak the hell out of her. Just to be on safe side. I may just install the 16mm rear bar, with the upperstrut bar and the leave the front factory. I would much rather have understeer than oversteer. I figure with the 16mm, a good portion of the body roll will be removed.

What do you think?

Thanks

Mer
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM   #7
Accord CP EX-V6-NAVI-TV

98 Quicksilver, this is exactly what I am going to do. Parts are on order..
Scottee28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:43 PM   #8
J30A4

all i got to say is that i'm gunna be needing your guys help when i upgrade
raymas8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:52 PM   #9

98 Quicksilver & Scottee28

I tried the 14mm bar then the 16mm before I went to the 17mm. You are right it will remove alot of the lean and understeer. I still have the 16mm bar that I want to get rid of, I would be glad to sell it for the $30 that I paid for it to whoever wants to come and get it, I got it used with bushings from a wrecking yard. However I don't think you should be afraid of the 17mm bar.

Tim
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:57 PM   #10

I'm going with the 20mm at least, I may even go with the 22mm Comptech just so I don't have to find any polyurethane bushings that fit...
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:58 PM   #11

Never stock

Where are you located. I am in San Diego

Mer
Old February 2nd, 2004, 07:59 PM   #12

98 quicksilver

I am in Simi Valley

Tim
Old February 18th, 2004, 12:33 AM   #13
Banned

so i ordered the (20mm 04 tl 6mt) rear sway bar but planning on keeping the stock front. Is this insane or ok?
outersquare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 18th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #14
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
Just installed Comptech rear sway.. since i am no expert on oversteer/understeer.. all I can say is there is A LOT LESS lean when cornoring.. on my usual route home.. there is S curve couple times and I tackle them no problem at 80 to 90 mph (its regular street so I don't dare go more than lot).. but i can definitely feel the car is firmer and controlled..

The whole thing cost $150 installed from CCAUTOTUNER... asked for it yesterday, and got it today.. hella fast.. lol..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 18th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #15
girl on cell in SUV =

Quote:
so i ordered the (20mm 04 tl 6mt) rear sway bar but planning on keeping the stock front. Is this insane or ok?
No you're not insane. The rear bar only is a great set-up.

I only have a 19mm CL-S bar & the car is pretty close to being totally neutral. Both front & rear will slide together when at the limits. Now that I'm used to it, I can do a controlled slide while completing a turn That ~$50 Acura bar added a major fun factor to the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JetCat&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
BVM&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Last edited by turbines; February 18th, 2004 at 01:04 AM..
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 18th, 2004, 05:24 AM   #16
Who's yo daddy?

Quote:
Originally posted by outersquare
Again, no. I love my 19mm rear sway / AV6 6MT front upper strut brace combo. Really brings the sedan alive. Still very controllable, but much better turn-in, and body lean in the twisties (heck even in day-day commute driving it's a night & day difference!)

Mackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:54 AM   #17

Hey Mack + Tubine, When did you guys install the upper bar? Before/after the sway? I'm curious because I KNOW I want the 19mm sway, but I can't decide on the 6sp strut. Will the strut make a noticable difference with the sway, or should I save $70 and just get the sway?
NH-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #18
girl on cell in SUV =

I put the 6spd strut bar on 3 days after I bought the car - so I honestly can't say if it makes a difference or not because I didn't drive a lot without it. You know Honda puts it on the 6spd for a reason, so it must be of some benefit.

FYI, if you're going to spend the $$, I'd say to get the 20mm '04TL bar over the 19mm CL-S. The price is almost the same & its 1mm closer to Comptechs. Will you notice 1mm difference? - probably not, but if I had known the TL bar fit, I'd have gone that route.

For now, just do the sway - I guarantee you'll like it.
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 18th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #19
Who's yo daddy?

I did my front upper strut brace a week after the rear sway bar. I notice a difference in turn-in no doubt. If it was big bucks to do, I would say no. But as it is, it's only around $80. Well worth that IMHO. Might be more noticeable on my car with 17" wheels & 225/50/17 Pilot Sports, too. But I'd still give it a go.

Old February 18th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #20

I did my strut bar 3 months after buying the car and one month before adding the rear sway bar.
I would say the difference with the bar only was very subtle. The car did ride a little smother, there was a slight reduction and change in the squeaks in the car. The front end felt more solid, not stiffer. The handling & steering did feel a little better but again a very subtle difference. I did not push the car hard until after the sway bar change.
I think the strut bar would be more noticeable if you push the car hard, especially with suspension mods because the cornering limits would be higher therefore placing more loads on the suspension & body structure.

Tim
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #21
mog

Quote:
Originally posted by brex

The whole thing cost $150 installed from CCAUTOTUNER... asked for it yesterday, and got it today.. hella fast.. lol..
Hey Brex,

Did CCAUTOTUNER order the Comptech bar for you too? $150 for bar and installation sounds super cheap. I just ordered the bar online for $140 shipped. I imagine install would cost at least $40.

Oh and how long did the install take?

Thanks

Last edited by mog; February 19th, 2004 at 12:20 AM..
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:07 AM   #22
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
Yes, Kevin gave me super good deal..

In fact, the bar was for himself but he let me have it first... the sway bar itself installed was under 30 mins.. but i have camber and alignment done as well so didn't really know how long it took..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:28 AM   #23

I've decided that I'm going to go with the 04TL rear sway (I can't see spending an extra $70 for +2mm with Comptechs). I was on the accuraautoparts site and I'm not sure which parts to get. I'm sure I nee part#003 and #004, but what brackets do I need? Part# 005?
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:33 AM   #24
I love this car!

I installed my 19mm yesterday. I am so happy. Took an hour and half (including tool gathering, changing clothes, cleaning up and drinkin beers ). I did not raise the car and I had no idea for like 10 minutes how to unscrew the end link. Then I saw the allen hole. What an epiphany! Ride quality has not really changed at all, and the car handles a little bit more like my 350z did. all I need now are the wider tires (and a way to shave off a hundred pounds!)

Tein H-tech
CL-s sway
35% tint
rpgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #25
Who's yo daddy?

Quote:
Originally posted by NH-coupe
I've decided that I'm going to go with the 04TL rear sway (I can't see spending an extra $70 for +2mm with Comptechs). I was on the accuraautoparts site and I'm not sure which parts to get. I'm sure I nee part#003 and #004, but what brackets do I need? Part# 005?
Yes. Two (Qty. wise) of # 005 (holder.)

Old February 19th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #26

Old February 19th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #27

It cost me $42.69 before shipping (~$15) for everything (accuraautomotiveparts.org). This has to be the best bang-for-buck mod out there for the 7th gen.
Old February 19th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #28
I love this car!

Quote:
It cost me $42.69 before shipping (~$15) for everything (accuraautomotiveparts.org). This has to be the best bang-for-buck mod out there for the 7th gen.
screw those guys.... they are still a rip off. 15 bucks for shipping and handling? Thats bad principles if you ask me! If you want honest... go to acuraparts.net. I got it all for $50 TOTAL and it arrived in a week. Acuraautomotiveparts didnt deliver anything, then when I emailed them, they said "oh, your credit card didnt go through." Thanks for notifying me

Tein H-tech
CL-s sway
35% tint
rpgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:53 PM   #29

Should I tourque the bolts on the TL sway bar the same as specified for the comptech 6 gen bar (end link bolts 29lb., bushings+bracket 22lb.)?

Also, I use the same bolts on the car now, right?
Old February 19th, 2004, 02:38 PM   #30
Who's yo daddy?

Quote:
Should I tourque the bolts on the TL sway bar the same as specified for the comptech 6 gen bar (end link bolts 29lb., bushings+bracket 22lb.)?

Also, I use the same bolts on the car now, right?
Yes, and yes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in