Suspension Help! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #1

Suspension Help!

Hey guys, recently went to Les Schwab and had my alignment done and they recommended me changing my suspension as I am running the original suspension and am nearly 115,000 miles on my 04 Accord. They quoted me $950.99 for I think the front and rear left and right struts, with $200 of that total being purely labor, and $600 being parts, and $84 being the alignment. I am planning on keeping this car for many years to come and think that preventative maintenance is important, but do I really need to change all these things out? Also, I am planning on lowering my car about 1.5 inches, what route would you guys go if you needed to replace your suspension and wanted to lower your car at the same time? As you can probably tell I don't know much about suspension. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

-Brandon
dirtrider41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 24th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #2

I bought a full set of KYB GR2's for 240 shipped. the shop should only be charging you labor and MAYBE alignment (which is not required but recommended) The only parts is the struts, the springs should still be good. even if you get it from the autostore, it would be MUCH less than 600 bucks

That shop is ripping you off, i wouldnt pay more than 450 TOTAL installed with parts, 500 maybe with alignment.

Since you are planning on lowering the car, buy a full setup with springs and struts (or coilovers which is all in one piece) and its SO easy you can probably do it your self if your mechanically inclined. VERY EASY job
NYKnick1015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #3

Where are you located ?

Are you only replacing the shocks and it costing you $600 for them? What brand are they?

$200 in labor??? they saying this will take 4 hours at $50/hr..

I agree with NYKnick.. You can rent a spring compressor tool from like autozone or advanceauto and do the work yourself.

Also let me know if decide on a spring/shock combo or coilover setup, I can check what kind of prices I can get.
Atlas.46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #4

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I am located in Washington state and this is Les Schwab quoting me. And yes they are only saying that I will be needing new front and back struts. They aren't showing any signs of failure, and my ride is perfect, they just recommended it because they say the suspension typically needs to be changed every 60,000 miles and I am nearly the 120,000 mark.

So you guys are saying that I should just find oem struts front and back online and have a different shop do it for me?

Also I am not too knowledgeable when it comes to parts of suspension, so if I replace the struts, that's not the springs? So If I wanted to lower my car at the same time that I am getting my struts replaced, I would just need to either buy lowering springs or coil overs, and they could throw those on at the same time as they do the struts?

-Brandon
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #5
yal

Um RUN, don't WALK, away from this store.

Me thinks a second opinion is in order. Unless your shocks/struts are leaking or are bouncy indicating worn interior valves then you shouldn't be replacing them.
yal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #6
JDM UC1

my say to this, if it aint broke why fix it? preventive maintenance, yes. but it wont hurt you to wait for your shocks to malfunction before changing 'em. i mean they wont explode on you and not all 4 will die all at the same time. it's not like a timing belt change that you really need to do to care for the engine.

but if your into dropping the car then change it all up, shocks and lowering springs. if you want to be more adjustable get coilovers. don't forget your rear camber kits and get an alignment after all is done. scout and order everything online and have a low key shop do the install.
toinkee69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by toinkee69 View Post
my say to this, if it aint broke why fix it? preventive maintenance, yes. but it wont hurt you to wait for your shocks to malfunction before changing 'em. i mean they wont explode on you and not all 4 will die all at the same time. it's not like a timing belt change that you really need to do to care for the engine.

but if your into dropping the car then change it all up, shocks and lowering springs. if you want to be more adjustable get coilovers. don't forget your rear camber kits and get an alignment after all is done. scout and order everything online and have a low key shop do the install.
Sounds good, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in