Sway Bar's and how they work. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NvrDwn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #1
Sleeper

Sway Bar's and how they work.

Thought I'd clear this up a little for people.

I find it odd that with Accords the front bar is bigger than the rear bar, and yet people still talk about how the rear can kick out with the front being 5.5mm thicker than the rear TL-S bar. That leads me to think the front bar must be significantly softer compared to the rear TL-S bar, or people don't know how to drive a FWD car properly..

I know a bit about suspension and how it works on FWD and RWD cars.

Let me explain.

A larger rear sway bar allows a FWD car to have more grip up front, and a larger front sway bar allows more grip in the rear.

Here’s an article with pictures to back me up:
How sway bars work

Ok, now for clarification. Will a much bigger rear bar give us oversteer? Yes. Why? Simply look at the picture in the website above. Will a bigger rear bar (but not by much) still give us oversteer? Well, maybe some, or a feeling of it, but it will be mostly understeer or a neutral feel. It should feel about neutral if the front is 3mm or less thinner. On my old Focus 22mm front bar, 25mm rear bar, I never had oversteer except once, on a VERY tight corner. It's one that starts off wide and gets smaller as the turn progresses. 30mph at the beginning and I had to let off the gas and THAT along with wet pavement allowed oversteer, but not enough to lose control. I believe the reason why people are talking about oversteer with the stock front and rear TL-S sway is because there is a lack of driver experience. As it is now it's nearly impossible to get oversteer with the stock sway bars no matter what you do, the only exception being to pull the e-break in mid-corner. So when someone gets a much bigger (6mm is much bigger) rear sway bar the car goes from being impossible to oversteer even if letting off the gas in mid-corner, to a car that can now oversteer under the right circumstances.

Also for additional back-up go to tirerack and look up the sway bars for a mustang, and then some for an 03 ford focus.

Mustang has a bigger front than rear bar and a Focus has a bigger rear than front bar.
Of course cars don't come like this because they want you to have understeer as that is much more controllable.

Hope this makes sense to people and is able to help those having oversteer problems!
blk_on_blk likes this.
NvrDwn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in