Tein Coilover Install Help Please - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:09 AM   #1

Tein Coilover Install Help Please

Hey everyone,

I installed Tein Coilovers, wicked rear camber kit (still on stock camber ajustment), type-s sway bars front snd rear, last night. When I took the car out for a test drive I seem to be getting a lot of noise from the rear end when I go through dips or over bumps. The rear end is lifted on the highest setting and it's still making that sound not really sure what/where to check next. I spoke to a friend and he said that it could be that it just needs to be broken in, the only problem with that is the Coilovers are used so I would assume they're already broken in. Any help or tips would be great thanks for all of the help!

This pic is the current setup... Took it with my phone sorry for the quality.

Don't mind the packing paper underneath I got an oil change/tune-up at the stealership Friday and I'm leaking oil big time trying to save my garage floors... going there first thing in the morning!
ASKRONZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 27th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Bobby Lane Racing

double check the top shock tower nuts and make sure they are tight with the car on the ground.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Tommy

When I had teins and many others that I have had teins had the same issue with noise from the coils in the rear
tommastie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old August 27th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommastie View Post
When I had teins and many others that I have had teins had the same issue with noise from the coils in the rear
Did you ever get it resolved or is that just how the teins work??
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
double check the top shock tower nuts and make sure they are tight with the car on the ground.
I'll double check that after work, thanks for the tip!
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #6
✔ Verified Member

Send a message via Yahoo to otsb708 Send a message via Skype™ to otsb708
I have Teins and the rear has never made a squeak on mine. Try what Kiet mentioned and if that doesn't work, play with the height a bit to see if that helps.
otsb708 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by otsb708 View Post
I have Teins and the rear has never made a squeak on mine. Try what Kiet mentioned and if that doesn't work, play with the height a bit to see if that helps.
I'm lowering the rear to make it level tonight and I'm going to get a wheel alignment in a bit so I am hoping that helps a little too. Not sure what else to do, I'll update later tonight and post some almost final pics.

Fender roll is this weekend hopefully!!!
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #8

So the alignment, negative camber, and 1.5in drop in the rear definitely helped decrease the noise and I tightened all the bolts. Still have some noise through bumps and over curbs. I saw somewhere that it might be due to the stiff suspension setup. Any other ideas? I used the tops from an 04 Accord do you think maybe I should have used the tops from my 06?? Seriously thank you everyone for your help!!!!
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #9

preload?
funkbro2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #10

How would I really check for or figure out if there is preload? From what I know you just make adjustments to fix this but I figured if that were the issue the camber adjustment and computerized wheel alignment would help with that, no?
Old August 29th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #11

Ok so, I figured out the perfect word to explain the sound coming from the suspension, its like a "creaking sound," The strut bars are brand new all of the bushings are brand new two of which are Energy sport suspension bushings and the other two are OEM Honda. Could it be the strut top mounted wrong? I used 3 strut tops that came one the coilovers from an older Accord I think an 04' should I swap these out for my 06 strut tops that I removed with the stock suspension? This is really the only other thing I can think of I have had someone else do a one over on the car and make sure everything was tight and he came back with no issues, I know for sure because it was at the dealership and they love to take my money so they'd find something if it were obvious. Anyway thanks again for all of the help. Hope to get this resolved this weekend. Keyword: HOPE!
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #12
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
Honestly anything besides stock usually creeks..
My right rear shock creeks..
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 29th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #13

Is it loud though, I don't know why it's such a painful sound to me I feel like the entire rear end is going to break every time I hear it. This is my first coilover setup and I honestly can't recall ever being in a similarly setup car to compare what I'm hearing. The ride on the street is so much nicer it's just the sound oh and getting used to being low.
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #14
Tommy

That's just how the teins are. I had mine for about a year and I just couldnt take it anymore so I bought something else and now when I drive there isn't any noise
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #15

Damn, I find it hard to believe such an expensive suspension setup would be so poorly built that it makes noise over every bump. I think I'll try to contact Tein directly and update this topic based on what info I can get.
Old August 30th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #16
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
Good luck, but everyone with Tein's has this issue for the most part.
Doubt it will get any better. Try lubing the area?
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 30th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewYu View Post
Good luck, but everyone with Tein's has this issue for the most part.
Doubt it will get any better. Try lubing the area?
I was told lubricating the area will only lead to quicker corrosion of the rubber components. Not sure as to why. But can you confirm.

I contacted Tein in CA and emailed their corporate maybe they'll at least send me an air freshener for my troubles lol.
Old August 30th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #18
Tommy

What everyone have told me was that I need to adjust my preload which means I need to raise the car enough to where the springs are snug and no moving when there's no weight on it. I never tried that when I had my teins because they will raise the car too much and I didn't want to give up that look that's why I will never go tein coils ever again if I want to go low
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #19

Response from Tein

Hello Ali,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Has pre-load of the suspension been done on the vehicle?

Please verify that the suspension has been preloaded during installation as it is often overlooked. If possible could you please verify that the suspension has been preloaded. If the pre-load is not done, the shocks will be at a slight angle causing the spring and upper mount to make the creaking noise over bumps. Please follow this link for further detail on how to adjust the pre-load of the suspension. http://teinusa-blog.com/applying-suspension-preload/

If the vehicle is set to a lower ride height then what we would recommend the noise that might be heard is the spring going back into place on the vehicle as gone over the bump. This is due to the shock extending its self over the bump causing the spring to move freely, once the suspension has passed the bump the suspension will drop back down causing the spring to be forced back into place.

If you feel that the suspension is the problem then you can gladly send the coilovers in for inspection. The product does come with a one year manufacture warranty that will cover the product if found defective. Unfortunately the warranty does not cover any of the shipping costs. Please follow this link to be able to print out the overhaul agreement form that will need to be sent in with the coilovers and the copy of the receipt.

Lame! I guess it'a preload as mentioned do I need to remove all the suspension to adjust for preload or check it?
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #20

Reply from Tein

Hello Ali,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Has pre-load of the suspension been done on the vehicle?

Please verify that the suspension has been preloaded during installation as it is often overlooked. If possible could you please verify that the suspension has been preloaded. If the pre-load is not done, the shocks will be at a slight angle causing the spring and upper mount to make the creaking noise over bumps. Please follow this link for further detail on how to adjust the pre-load of the suspension. http://teinusa-blog.com/applying-suspension-preload/

If the vehicle is set to a lower ride height then what we would recommend the noise that might be heard is the spring going back into place on the vehicle as gone over the bump. This is due to the shock extending its self over the bump causing the spring to move freely, once the suspension has passed the bump the suspension will drop back down causing the spring to be forced back into place.

If you feel that the suspension is the problem then you can gladly send the coilovers in for inspection. The product does come with a one year manufacture warranty that will cover the product if found defective. Unfortunately the warranty does not cover any of the shipping costs. Please follow this link to be able to print out the overhaul agreement form that will need to be sent in with the coilovers and the copy of the receipt.
--------------
Do I need to remove all four coilovers to adjust for preload or do I just need to put it on a lift????
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #21

^^ Noob move sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in