Any advice on saving my snow tires? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gwiffer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #1

Any advice on saving my snow tires?

So story goes, I bought a pretty sick set of snow tires 2 winters ago. Pretty much only rode them for 3-4 months on my steelies n caps out the year because I rode slammed all the time with my dd being my motorcycle. Anyway, this year I decided to revert back to stock, sold my rims suspension all the goods with the intentions of selling my car. The right offer never rolled around so I had my winter set on since July to sell with the car. so my gf drove it around with her friends, drove to Florida, and what not.

So now it's November /december and there is still a substantial amount of tread left and it snowed today and I could barely grip the road. I nearly t-boned a state trooper as my brakes locked up and skid a few dozen feet. So right now I'm thinking CRAP!! That's not good.

Does anyone have any ideas of trying to salvage my snow tires? I would like to get through the winter with the intention to get thru to spring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NYKnick1015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #2

Just out of curiosity how much snow?
Jakefrom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #3

Umm 1-2 inches but there was also some black ice. It's only end of November and I snowboard a lot so I will be in areas where there is up to several inches of snow

Old November 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKnick1015 View Post
Umm 1-2 inches but there was also some black ice. It's only end of November and I snowboard a lot so I will be in areas where there is up to several inches of snow
Snow tires arent gonna do **** for ice, unless they are studded. Once they get down to about 6/32" of tread they are useless
Sold: 04' Accord 6-6 Coupe, 112k miles: Autocross STX season champion 2013.
Randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Picture Perfect

How many /32" remaining and what brand and model tire?
Milan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #6

well they WERE studded
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #7

Yeah ice is a bastard lol. I'm up in Tahoe and local ski spots every year. Tahoe isn't too bad most of the time but the local spots usually have half a foot of snow everyday but a good set of all season falkens get me through without trouble.
Jakefrom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:27 PM   #8

Your GF drove on studded winter tires at highway speeds to FL from NY during the summer? That doesn't seem like a good idea.
thisaznboi88 and Randomhero like this.
gwiffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 4th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #9
The name is Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKnick1015 View Post
so my gf drove it around with her friends, drove to Florida, and what not.
Because of this, I'd say they're toast regardless of what your tread depth is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwiffer View Post
Your GF drove on studded winter tires at highway speeds to FL from NY during the summer? That doesn't seem like a good idea.
^This.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CrackerTeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 18th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomhero View Post
Snow tires arent gonna do **** for ice, unless they are studded. Once they get down to about 6/32" of tread they are useless
My studless snow tires have done quite well on ice. Only time they have not worked is in about 6" of slush when the snow started to melt a few years ago.

To OP, I know this thread is a little old, but check if the studs are still there. You may need to get them re studded. Also, buy a set of chains. Most places if you don't use them, you can return them. I buy a set in fall and return them in spring.
f1snob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 18th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #11

Chains offer a good alternative if you don't want to spend a few hundred on snow/winter tires but if you travel long distances, I would suggest winter tires and take them off for spring season.
Wai_pang2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 18th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #12

Toss them in the trash, no telling how hard they've got from the heat and how ****ed up the studs did to the tread now. Also you are either driving too fast or your tires are totally shot, can't salvage them. (Assuming you were driving on snow and not ice)
funkbro2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in