Suspension clunk from front PS - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:41 AM   #1
The name is Z

Suspension clunk from front PS - Solved!

Well, ever since my drive up from Miami 6 months ago where I inadvertently drove through a pothole that could've swallowed a Focus during NYC traffic, I've had this annoying clunk sound on my front PS corner. At first, I blamed the coils based on other complaints from F2 owners. Replaced it under warranty. Checked the shock I replaced. No blown seals, the piston compressed and returned perfectly which means the shock wasn't blown. Problem persisted. Started going through my suspension the usual way: visual, moving anything and everything I could to find play, applying pressure to ball joints, etc. Found nothing. I did happen to find a broken PS engine mount which usually causes the sound. Replaced it with a new OEM mount thanks to AFH. Sound persists. Ran through all nuts and bolts I've touched since owning the car and even some I haven't messed with. All snug. I'm at a loss as to the cause of the sound.

Cliffs notes-front PS clunk sound, nothing broken, all parts torqued down, broken parts replaced,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CrackerTeg; March 4th, 2013 at 07:15 AM..
CrackerTeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #2
The name is Z

No ideas huh? Seems like I'm not the only one confused by this.
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #3
M![email protected] \_(ツ)_/

LOL. After reading suggestions from the other forums, I'm just as confused brutha. You pretty much exhausted those common areas where the clunking could generate from. Possibly take it to a shop, or even the stealership, to have is diagnosed? ... Worst case scenario, I mean.
HEcreated487 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old January 4th, 2013, 09:13 AM   #4

LCA bushings?
Steering rack?
Axle?
Bearing?

I dunno... I have weird noises sometimes too
funkbro2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #5
The name is Z

I may have to do that Mike. My fear is they'll blame my ride height and not do a damn thing regarding diagnosis.

As for the bushings and things, checked them out. They're in surprisingly good shape for being a northern car with 114k miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #6

Im having the exact same problem, even if i ride over the smallest bump or any imperfection of the road. I just installed F&F coilovers 2 months ago and ive been dealing with this on a daily basis.
ivan809 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #7
Slammed & Stunning

Send a message via AIM to MatthewYu
I always hear these "noise issues" whenever Functions are in the equation for some reason.. I don't know.
Anyways good luck I would definitely start with the axles if they are still the original factory ones having 114k on them along with the added stress for you being lowered for how ever long you've been lowered
MatthewYu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #8

Have the same issue on tein basics some days worse than others. Its not noticeable unless the radio is off
3.0UALLKNOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Bobby Lane Racing

Front lower control arm bushing. They go out fast. Very common part that fails creating clunking over speed bump and drive ways
3.0UALLKNOW likes this.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #10
The name is Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewYu View Post
I always hear these "noise issues" whenever Functions are in the equation for some reason.. I don't know.
Anyways good luck I would definitely start with the axles if they are still the original factory ones having 114k on them along with the added stress for you being lowered for how ever long you've been lowered
Seriously dude? Apparently you didn't read the part where I hit a hole in the road that would swallow a small family. Doesn't matter what suspension it is. Matter of fact, the coils were the FIRST thing I checked based on previous complaints. Guess what? I replaced a shock for no apparent reason at all. The coils are solid. If you have nothing helpful to contribute, I kindly ask you to not post in the thread.

As for the axles, those are fine as well. Slight bit of play at the c clips but that's normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0UALLKNOW View Post
Have the same issue on tein basics some days worse than others. Its not noticeable unless the radio is off
Tim (timot_one) had the same issue after hitting a big pot hole a few years ago. Turned out to be the top hat broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
Front lower control arm bushing. They go out fast. Very common part that fails creating clunking over speed bump and drive ways
I looked there as well. Everything looked solid. I even put a pry bar in there to force movement in a direction it wasn't intended to find play. Nothing. Any other way of checking it?

Last edited by CrackerTeg; January 9th, 2013 at 12:46 PM..
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Bobby Lane Racing

Bent wheel?
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #12
The name is Z

The only bent wheel I have is on the rear ds. Surprisingly. The wheels I was running at the time of the incident are long gone. Surprisingly, none were bent that I could remember.

Old January 9th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #13
JDM UC1

wanna try spraying the top of the spring w/ WD40? i used to do that w/ my coilovers. every time i raise my rear it makes a clunking sound when i drop it back. i just spray it w/ WD40 and sound goes away.

did you check your spring if your missing a coil? maybe it broke?

long shot, but it's worth mentioning.
toinkee69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #14
The name is Z

Nothing looked broken when I took the coilover apart to swap the spring. Once the preload is set, the spring doesn't move.

Old January 9th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #15
SK8 OR DIE

Assuming you checked the end-link and bushing on the front sway bar.

how fast do you have to be going for the noise to occur? ie., does it happen when the suspension compresses at low speeds, say, leaving a driveway? or is it more of a *shock* induced symptom, like hitting small bumps at 40-50 mph? Know what i mean? nawmean dogg
invsblduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 9th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #16
The name is Z

Checked those too. Funny thing is, the ds bushing looks worse than the ps. As for the sound, it doesn't matter the speed. Rolling ridiculously slow through the neighborhood like I was doing a drive by or highway speeds. Highway speeds are worse obviously.

Old January 9th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #17

I have the same problem but with my Eibach pro-kit springs. My mechanic says it's just nuisance noise as everything is fixed, torqued down, etc. He also mentioned that my springs were shortened which could potentially affect the strut bumping onto my uppermount.
jweezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:38 AM   #18

i had a clunking sound when going over speed bumps only. the old control arm bushings looked fine and made no noises when i tried to move it around, but just to test it i replaced it with a new pair and the clunking was gone.

you will have to replace parts with parts borrowed from another car, one at a time and try to diagnose the problem.
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #19
The name is Z

That's what I'm thinking. Unfortunately, there's no scrap yard anywhere near me.

Old January 16th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #20

I had clunking noises too due to worn compliance/ lower control arm bushings being torn. If you state they're fine then I can't say much, but the problem you're having sounds almost identical to mine. Do you get wheel hop starting first gear? That's another sign of bad bushings
T1Invince is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 16th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #21
The name is Z

No wheel hop under normal acceleration. I almost want to pick up a new top hat since they're cheap based on where I think the sound is coming from. Just recently I started really listening to it over the usual bumps and it sounds like it's coming from the strut tower.

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:18 PM   #22

How about your motor mounts? I believe our accords have grease filled mounts that leak once they go bad. Other than that, I can only suggest checking your ball joints. If you have warranty on your alignment, they should check for you for free as they did for me when I lowered my car.
Old January 16th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #23
The name is Z

Read the OP. I found a broken mount and replaced it with a new Honda mount. I'm going to try a few things this weekend if I get time.

Old January 16th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #24

Oh my bad, just trying to name things it could be to help..
Old January 16th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #25
The name is Z

It's all good man and I appreciate the suggestions. This is a strange one that's been bugging me for months.

Old January 16th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #26
SK8 OR DIE

Dude, if it's not any part of the bushings/connections in the sway bar, end links, LCA, UCA, strut, top-hat, engine mount, hub, rotor, wheel, etc, then what the h3ll is it? Your headlamp shaking around?! Does it sound like metal on metal? How "deep" is the sound of the clunk? (There's a difference between a thud and a rattle, so I'm having trouble imagining it )

Let's figure it out!
Old January 16th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #27
The name is Z

That's the thing. I haven't completely ruled out the top hat. That's the one thing that I have doubts on. I haven't pulled the coils yet as I haven't had the time and its been frigid the last few weeks. Now that I'm back in school, I have even less time.

Anyway, as for the sound, it's a very heavy clunk that seems to come from the top, PS front. Near the strut tower which is why I haven't completely ruled out the top hat. I've really been listening in ever since I started digging in and when I reached out to you guys for help.

Old January 16th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #28

You describe the same sound I have but I do not feel mine comes from near the shock tower. I'll listen for it closer tomorrow, I want to say mine sounds like it's related to when I let off and press back on the gas real quick, but I'll double check and make sure it's not relegated to where you say yours is coming from.
StevenR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #29
The name is Z

Yours sounds like a broken front/ rear mount. I'm leaning towards rear mount for you. Get under the car and look for oil near those mounts as they're hydraulic mounts.
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerTeg View Post
Yours sounds like a broken front/ rear mount. I'm leaning towards rear mount for you. Get under the car and look for oil near those mounts as they're hydraulic mounts.
Thanks man, hopefully it stops raining/snowing so I can check.
StevenR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in