Comptech sway bars installed (not 56k friendly) - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #1
Illusion-Lighting

Comptech sway bars installed (not 56k friendly)

Just got them in yesterday and installed them today. Fairly simple install although I would recommend that you purchase 4 #7 or #8 washers. The sway bars require you to use your stock bolts but the head of the bolts are almost to narror and slide right through the brackets. I noticed this problem with the bars for the 6th gen too.

Overall, great performance from the bars. Comparing it to my 6th gen which had tokico blue shocks, h&r springs, and some rimgs, I think the 7th gen is more neutral and this is the only suspension mod i've done to it. It's kind of wierd driving a fwd car that's as neutral handling as this. It doesn't really take away the "boat" effect though. If I go through some S turns really hard you can still feel weight shifting from one end of the car to the other. I guess thats where lowering the center of gravity helps.

First 3 photos are comparing stock to comptech. Last photo is comptech installed. Install tooka bout 30 minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Illusion-Lighting is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2004, 04:53 PM   #2
clear the way!!!

Send a message via AIM to adamkim83
sweeet..how much did it cost u? and where?
adamkim83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2004, 04:55 PM   #3
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
Thanks Man!!!! I am amazed with the size difference between the stock and the c-tech...cant wait to get mine now.

Old February 11th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #4

Sweet!!! The size difference is crazy! Give us some more reviewage once you get some more experience on it.

Good idea jacking the car on an incline... gives ya some more room to work.

Does the bar come with polyurethane bushings? Did you tape them?

see_fu you're my new hero, I can't wait to get mine in the spring!
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #5
Illusion-Lighting

Well I normally wouldn't jack a car on an incline. It feels kind of wierd knowing that my hand breaks active the rear wheels but their up in the air. If anything I would recommend jacking the car up on a flat surface whenever possible.
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:03 PM   #6
girl on cell in SUV =

Congrats on the Comptech bar.

I know the size difference is what hits you first. My 19mm bar looked big - your 22 is huge. I'm sure you felt the weight difference - its like adding 25 lbs

I'm very interested to hear your evaluations. I'd like to know if you can slide the rear out/oversteer.

I'm pretty close to dead on neutral with the remaining stock suspension. After getting used to my 19mm, I can drift it a little - sliding the whole car (front AND rear) on dry pavement. Obviously no practical use in daily driving, but a fun & dramatic way to get attention in the right place

Keep us posted - If your bar is better, I may step up to it.
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #7
mog

I just ordered mine! So excited!! I'm gonna have it installed some ricer shop...do you think they will have washers or do i need to go find some myself?
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #8
Illusion-Lighting

I would say most likely they won't use any simply because the Comptech instructions doesn't mention them. I don't think its really necessary, but I didn't feel to comfrotable with how little surface area the bolt was holding onto.
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #9

Why not DIY, it's easier than an intake install! Buy some jack stands and a jack and heck, you can even change your own oil!
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:33 PM   #10
mog

Well it's sucks that i have to go out and search for some washers again...but then again when i installed front sways on my 4runner b4 and i had to buy the nut's and bots myself too. I'm not sure how much money Comptech is saving by not providing these two simple washers that would allow proper translation of the force from the bolts. If its tat obvious to you that it's necessary...makes me question what kinda engineers they have working at comptech...if any.. They might know about racing....but nothing about building something that will need to endure years of harsh daily driving.
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:47 PM   #11
Illusion-Lighting

Well the 6th gen accord had the same problem, but I haven't heard any complaints about it yet so I"m guessing it's ok. Comptech isn't saving a lot of money on those washers. I bout 4 at 5 cents each which means cost for the hardware store is probbaly 1/2 cent.

Like I said I dont' think its necessary, but it just seemed a little to small for me.
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:38 AM   #12
Banned

I wonder which is a better setup ,haveing the acura 04 TL front a rear sways or the comptech bar.
unrealcpu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 12th, 2004, 08:25 AM   #13
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Re: Comptech sway bars installed (not 56k friendly)

Quote:
Originally posted by see_fu on February 11th, 2004 at 06:42 PM

Just got them in yesterday and installed them today.

Ok, you keep saying "bars" and "them", but I only see the rear bar. What about the front bar? Did you change it? Or is it the rear only?
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 12th, 2004, 09:55 AM   #14
Illusion-Lighting

I got the worse grammar of anyone here! It's only the rear bar
Old February 12th, 2004, 11:30 AM   #15
Banned

can't see any picture!
vsmack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2004, 02:24 AM   #16
Banned

what did you change the front with?
unrealcpu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2004, 02:43 AM   #17

do you know if it fit the i4 2004 coupe?
max04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2004, 08:20 AM   #18
Banned

ok, now I can see em. Looks quite bigger. Hey, how come ur car has a raviloli can on the back. Stop feeding the air ravioli!! I can see it in the last picture. How would the car sound if u remove the mufflers. I see that they're bolted on. I think it will be a good idea to hear it without it.
vsmack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #19
yeh, i said it ...

Send a message via AIM to 03TGCoupe
yeh it fit's the I4
03TGCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 15th, 2004, 06:39 AM   #20
Nothing special

Alright, my c-tech is in the mail....the anticipation is killing me!!
Old February 15th, 2004, 09:33 AM   #21
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
Where is a good place to buy it?
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2004, 06:07 AM   #22
Nothing special

I sucked it up and bought straight from c-tech's website
Old February 20th, 2004, 12:04 AM   #23
Nothing special

Ok, got my sway bar from C-tech. I must say the packaging was excellent, unlike other companies who have parts that are being damaged in transport. It took my girl friend and I about 45 mins to put it on. I would have to say this is a very worth while investment. I am really able to feel a difference when I push the car, and it feels more stable during more typical every day driving. There is still a fair amount of body roll- but a good set of shocks and springs will make this one hell of a cornering machine. I didnt experience much, if any, decrease in ride quality. This mod is not for the faint of heart though...on the wet roads I was able to get the rear end to start coming around, but that was only when I really pushed it, and was easliy controlled through throttle changes. In fact, I really like having the ability to tip the rear out, it can really allow for fast cornering, but only if you know what your doing. I drove my girl friends 6-speed back to back with mine after adding bar...I can feel quite the difference- needless to say I just ordered another bar- this one is for hers.
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally posted by blu6speed on February 20th, 2004 at 02:04 AM

I am really able to feel a difference when I push the car, and it feels more stable during more typical every day driving. There is still a fair amount of body roll- but a good set of shocks and springs will make this one hell of a cornering machine. I didnt experience much, if any, decrease in ride quality. This mod is not for the faint of heart though...on the wet roads I was able to get the rear end to start coming around, but that was only when I really pushed it, and was easliy controlled through throttle changes.
I believe you're still experiencing some body roll because the Comptech anti-sway bar kit replaces only the rear bar. That could also explain the oversteer during extreme handling situations. Others have noted similar response from their cars when only the rear bar was replaced with a larger one.

Of all the sway-bar options being discussed on this forum, I am very surprised I haven't come across anyone who has bought and installed the kit from Suspension Techniques. IINM, that kit comprises two bars, which makes it IMO a complete solution. Having done this mod on other cars, I would think twice before changing only one bar on my current vehicle.
APOLLON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:24 AM   #25

I disagree Apollon. The front sway bar stock is huge! 25mm! blu6speed mentioned that he could get the rear to come around when it was wet out only when he pushed it. On dry roads I'm betting it's pretty close to neutral.

Upgrading the front bar to anything bigger is just going to cause more understeer.
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:28 AM   #26

We won't know for certain until someone actually has the interest in doing the mod. Who knows, maybe I'll be the first. I'm starting to get tired of the roll myself, LOL...
APOLLON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally posted by blu6speed
This mod is not for the faint of heart though...on the wet roads I was able to get the rear end to start coming around, but that was only when I really pushed it, and was easliy controlled through throttle changes. In fact, I really like having the ability to tip the rear out, it can really allow for fast cornering, but only if you know what your doing.
Do you have the stock tires still on?
NH-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #28
Nothing special

Yeah still running the stock tires, but come summer they will be out the door in exchange for a nice set of performance tires!
Old February 20th, 2004, 04:55 PM   #29

Will this cause any wear on any stock suspension components, if this is the only suspension mod done?

Who wants to set up a group buy?
sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2004, 06:51 PM   #30
Illusion-Lighting

Quote:
Originally posted by blu6speed on February 19th, 2004 at 11:04 PM

Ok, got my sway bar from C-tech. I must say the packaging was excellent, unlike other companies who have parts that are being damaged in transport. It took my girl friend and I about 45 mins to put it on. I would have to say this is a very worth while investment. I am really able to feel a difference when I push the car, and it feels more stable during more typical every day driving. There is still a fair amount of body roll- but a good set of shocks and springs will make this one hell of a cornering machine. I didnt experience much, if any, decrease in ride quality. This mod is not for the faint of heart though...on the wet roads I was able to get the rear end to start coming around, but that was only when I really pushed it, and was easliy controlled through throttle changes. In fact, I really like having the ability to tip the rear out, it can really allow for fast cornering, but only if you know what your doing. I drove my girl friends 6-speed back to back with mine after adding bar...I can feel quite the difference- needless to say I just ordered another bar- this one is for hers.
Isn't it wierd how the car controls so neutral but yet its still got that body roll. First time I took the car around I couldn't decide if I liked it or not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in