Replace suspension? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #1
The Jester

Replace suspension?

Working on a car hitting the 180K mark soon here, and the suspension I must say, is ****. I can feel every bump in the road, can bottom out my shocks on speedbumps doing the speed limit or less in a parking lot, and I feel like the car will tip or I am driving like a maniac everytime I take a turn because of the body roll.
Do I still drive a little fun sometimes? Yes. No autocross but I do like to enjoy my ride.
I am looking for a shock/spring system that will give me a little more stiffness even compared to stock such that those corners aren't as intimidating for body roll, without slamming my ride.
I still hope to have 8" on the front someday or 7.5" so I won't slam the body, if anything I might take an inch of drop and an inch and a half on the front. Don't want any rubbing.

Any shock/spring combinations to suggest to give near stock ride height and slightly sportier ride without me feeling every bump because the shocks/springs are full race style?

Sway bars in consideration, I feel that if the bars have no spring pressure to equalize though, they will be ultimately useless in preventing body roll.

Tl;dr: Worn out springs and shocks bottoming out on speed bumps, want suggestions for springs/shocks to give slight firmer than stock feel, max 2" drop <1" preferred.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #2
The Jester

Essentially, are Koni yellows going to drop height more than Tokico Blues or HTS/D-Specs? Which of the latter two will drop more given a constant spring? Really would prefer more tread width possibility than a lower ride height that I will have to adjust camber on.
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #3
The Jester

And looking like the only options for spring rates is the S-Tech, H-Tech, and Eibach Pro-Kit. Really looking for reviews on stiffness of these. Sportline seems like it would be too much drop for me, but after a decade on the same springs and 180,000 miles my ride height may already be pre-adjusted!

Old May 20th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #4

What are you trying to achieve here? Replace with stock, lower the car, better handling, comfortable ride? Personally, the best aftermarket shocks would be the Koni's, IMO. You can use your stock springs and use lower perch and it will drop the car about an inch. Tokico are good if you just want to replace for stock. It sounds like you definitely need new shocks, so now you need to know what you plan to accomplish after swapping. Eibach pro-kit springs are pretty close to stock ride and will drop the car like 1.3-1.4 in front and 1.1-1.2 in back. Tein H-tech is about the same drop and ride. The sportlines and s-tech will drop it pretty low and you will need a camber kit. Personally, I would go with Koni and the pro-kit. If you don't want adjustability and cheaper, go with the tokico and pro-kit or H-tech.
KaotikPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2013, 12:03 PM   #5
The Jester

Looking for slightly stiffer than stock, without having to lose my ride height to get that stiffness.
It does look like Koni will have the most flexibility on ride feel for the dollar, just not sure if on my tight budget it would be worth it to spend the extra 200$ for Koni over Tokico Blues in order to adjust a ride feel I would probably touch once.
I feel like if I get a full set of Blues and I don't like the feel up front, THEN I should get the D-Specs and adjust from there. (I've never felt stock full shocks)
Alright, and for the final question, is the Pro-Kit going to be slightly more stiff or the H.Tech? Looking like they'll both do about the same drop
Old May 21st, 2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Honda enthusiast

Don't rule out an entry level coilover since you want to replace shocks and springs.
michaellowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:58 PM   #7

How low do you want to go? You could always go with the HFP shocks and springs. They are from Honda and will drop about an inch or so and be a little stiffer than regular stock.
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:33 PM   #8
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellowrider View Post
Don't rule out an entry level coilover since you want to replace shocks and springs.
A 6-$700 coilover set that is quality? Looking adjustable $800 if coilovers are still an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaotikPlaya View Post
How low do you want to go? You could always go with the HFP shocks and springs. They are from Honda and will drop about an inch or so and be a little stiffer than regular stock.
Have not heard of these HFPs. Ideally less than 2". The drop is minimal to me, the feel of the ride has more of an impact.
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:56 PM   #9
M![email protected] \_(ツ)_/

Tein Basis. Height adjustable and has a nice ride. Not stock, but close; definitely not harsh.

Or a Koni/D-Spec with Pro-Kit or H.Tech combo, as mentioned above.
HEcreated487 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:20 PM   #10
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEcreated487 View Post
Tein Basis. Height adjustable and has a nice ride. Not stock, but close; definitely not harsh.

Or a Koni/D-Spec with Pro-Kit or H.Tech combo, as mentioned above.
impressive. Not the best price, adjustable height would be a plus though and the gains seem to be worth it.
Would lack of adjustable damping make a huge difference?
Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
impressive. Not the best price, adjustable height would be a plus though and the gains seem to be worth it.
Would lack of adjustable damping make a huge difference?
Depends. User adjustable dampening is typically not as a big of a factor for daily driving versus track oriented vehicles. The spring rates also play a role. I would suggest softer spring rates; stiffer than stock due to the lowered height, but not much stiffer. For shocks with non-adjustable dampening (e.g. Tein Street Basis), it should be noted that the dampening of the shocks is calculated by the manufacturer to match the spring rates, which is always a good thing, since R&D and testing/dyno chokc analysis by reputable manufactures is involved to compose a good mix of comfort and performance.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:41 AM   #12
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEcreated487 View Post
Depends. User adjustable dampening is typically not as a big of a factor for daily driving versus track oriented vehicles. The spring rates also play a role. I would suggest softer spring rates; stiffer than stock due to the lowered height, but not much stiffer. For shocks with non-adjustable dampening (e.g. Tein Street Basis), it should be noted that the dampening of the shocks is calculated by the manufacturer to match the spring rates, which is always a good thing, since R&D and testing/dyno chokc analysis by reputable manufactures is involved to compose a good mix of comfort and performance.
So this Basis set is looking like a better idea than mixing the Pro-Kit and HP Blues? About the same cost
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:54 AM   #13

^^ Yes. And it has height adjustment, so you could tailor the lowering heights at each corner to your preference. With a spring/shock combo, you're limited to whatever lowered height the springs settle at....
Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:46 PM   #14

The Tein Basis is a pretty good setup. Height adjustment is nice. Only thing I've heard with those is the set dampening isn't the best, but it gets the job done. I am actually currently looking to upgrade my Koni/Pro-Kit setup and still thinking which way to go. I personally would save a little more and go with the Tein Street Advance. However, if height adjustment, and coilovers aren't what you're going for, there are some great shock/spring combos that are about as good as coilovers, just lack height adjustment, except with Koni's you can change perch level. But there are many great threads you can check out to make your decision. When I upgrade soon, I'll actually have my Koni sports and eibach pro-kit for sale. So just think what you want out of suspension and go from there.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:27 PM   #15
The Jester

Your build is quality, if it was good for you, would be good for me. Mileage did you put on those before you decided to upgrade and can I ask where you're going from here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in