Coilover Opinions - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By datdesi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #1
6 Speed

Coilover Opinions

Hey guys, been contemplating on what I want to get done to my car, and anything I go to do I do a lot of research and thinking before it happens but heres the scoop:

I want to go with coilovers and I know a lot of you guys are lowered and I have a couple of questions which I'm sure you'll all have opinions on. (the more the better).

1) I'm looking to lower around 2 inches or so at least and I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada where there isn't the best roads in places so I'm looking for the set that will give me the best RIDE. I know I won't have it like stock but I know there are some better then others.
2) I know I'll have to get a camber kit but heres my question. I'm thinking a 3 arm camber kit for the rear. Will I also have to get the camber kit for the front also? If so what are you guys running?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions or have been asked before but please bear with me. I don't like getting into a project without knowing as many details as possible, thanks!

2005 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6 Speed
1998 Honda Accord I4 Sedan DX
1997 Honda Accord I4 Sedan EX
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
Hey guys, been contemplating on what I want to get done to my car, and anything I go to do I do a lot of research and thinking before it happens but heres the scoop:

I want to go with coilovers and I know a lot of you guys are lowered and I have a couple of questions which I'm sure you'll all have opinions on. (the more the better).

1) I'm looking to lower around 2 inches or so at least and I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada where there isn't the best roads in places so I'm looking for the set that will give me the best RIDE. I know I won't have it like stock but I know there are some better then others.
2) I know I'll have to get a camber kit but heres my question. I'm thinking a 3 arm camber kit for the rear. Will I also have to get the camber kit for the front also? If so what are you guys running?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions or have been asked before but please bear with me. I don't like getting into a project without knowing as many details as possible, thanks!
i recomend tein s
tech suspenssion
lokyboy69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Hey. Hi.

Friends of mine are on bc racing and buddy clubs. They feel really nice but they're on an mr2 and a 8th gen civic. they're completely different cars so idk how they'd feel on ours. I've read noting but good things about AMR engineering's stuff, and they have a lifetime warranty which is nice. Currently waiting on my set of AMR to get built. All depends on your budget too I guess.
Bigbossjerry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old October 8th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #4

I recommend tein as they make phenomenal suspension products that last. I currently have ingalls 2 arm rear camber kit and they work very well too. I might purchase the rear upper control arm from SPC so I can move my wheels out a bit and make a little more flush to the fender. You probably are going to need either a upper control arm or some ball joints up in the front because as you drop it, your camber is going to increase as well. Good Luck!
Ride likes this.
datdesi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Kevin

Send a message via Skype™ to Nguyen-er
I have the Megan Street Series coilovers, they are 15 way adjustable and I haven't had any issues with them yet. I have sold a set to a member on here and I know of a couple of people who Megan coilovers. In the rear I only have the Megan camber kit but am looking to get the toe kit as well, that is also a big issue for tires. Getting your alignment done wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Nguyen-er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #6

Tein Basis for their ride quality and cost.

Very smooth, not too harsh coilover. Great for someone looking to add some sportiness, but not wanting to completely sacrifice ride quality.

Neuspeed SuperCup kit is a good option too. However install is a b*tch
Sold: 04' Accord 6-6 Coupe, 112k miles: Autocross STX season champion 2013.
Randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2013, 11:58 AM   #7

Does the Tein Basis ride better than the function and form type 1s? I recently bought some and the rear rides fine. The front is quite bouncy. I do have a v6. Could this be why with the added weight? The Tein Basis a better ride?
bozos_si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozos_si View Post
Does the Tein Basis ride better than the function and form type 1s? I recently bought some and the rear rides fine. The front is quite bouncy. I do have a v6. Could this be why with the added weight? The Tein Basis a better ride?
F&F Type 1
Front: 12kg/mm or 670lbs/in
Rear: 6kg/mm or 340lbs/in

Tein Basis
Front: 9kg/mm or 500lbs/in
Rear: 6kg/mm or 340lbs/in

As you can see, the F&F front springs are much higher rates than the Tein front springs. No doubt Tein is a better setup for comfort and performance in my opinion.
Old October 8th, 2013, 01:34 PM   #9

What about danish option if i was to go with the type 2?
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #10

Quote:
What about danish option if i was to go with the type 2?
Type 2 is the same springs just adjustable shocks. With the shocks set to full stiff, i doubt there would be any bounce in the front. However this would not more very comfortable on the street
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #11

Thanks for the info. I will more than likely be taking my type 1s out and going with tein. Thanks for the info. I just hope hope hope it rides better than what it is now.
Old October 8th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #12
6 Speed

Thanks for all the info so far guys, please keep it comming. This will be an over the winter type deal and this is new to me for sure! I'm the type of guy to do everything myself, but I have another question. How hard is it to adjust the camber kits? And how do you know when you have them spot on?
Thanks again boys
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #13

Tein still overall good no matter what the drop is? Only reason I went with function and form is the fact that you can adjust the travel without losing the shock travel.
Old October 8th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #14
aka swollpatrol

Quote:
Tein still overall good no matter what the drop is?
No, you'll eventually hit a point where the shock is bottoming out (which is pretty high on basics) which will greatly reduce ride quality/and life of the shock. Then you have the choice of raising up the car, adding extended top hats (for a tiny bit more life and comfort in the shock), or adding a new shorter and stiffer spring with extended tophats which will still reduce the life and comfort since the shock is not properly valved for the new springs.

I feel basics and megan super streets are literally the best way to throw away money. Basics are well basic. They offer barely any amount of adjustable or sportiness with the softer springs rates especially for the price. As for megan super streets, 10k on these cheaper coilovers are way too soft and the 15 way adjustable offers no real adjustment(not even in terms as its only 15 way but it literally doesnt change much in the shock). Knowing someone who works there it says something when the company advises their own employees buy one of the more expensive models.
Wolfy47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #15

This info is great. Seems like you get what you pay for in coilovers. Are the camber kits needed always with coilovers or does it depend on the amount of height lowered?
twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 10th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #16
6 Speed

Because in some coilovers there are ones that come with 'pillow tops' that is suppose to correct camber to a certain point too correct?
Old October 10th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #17
aka swollpatrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
Because in some coilovers there are ones that come with 'pillow tops' that is suppose to correct camber to a certain point too correct?
It slips my mind what "pillow tops" actually do but I am 100% they do not do anything to camber (on our cars at least). We do not have the type of suspension on our cars that can have the camber adjusted on the top hats
Old October 10th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #18
JDM UC1

camber plates cannot be used on our cars.
toinkee69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 13th, 2013, 04:01 PM   #19
Chaz

Before I bagged my ride I rode on Megan streets and never had a problem.
chizzle187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:19 AM   #20
Car Whore

My Tien Basics are coming in today and I will have them installed this weekend, I'll let you know how they ride!
blakenel1122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 25th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #21

Has anyone tried Megan Street Series 32 way adjustable Coilovers?
marcusvici is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 26th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #22
The name is Z

Why not ask the guy selling them?
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/....php?p=2297946

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CrackerTeg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 26th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #23
aka swollpatrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakenel1122 View Post
My Tien Basics are coming in today and I will have them installed this weekend, I'll let you know how they ride!
I hope you aren't planning to go very low on those. Soft springs rates and the way they adjust = a bad time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in