Tire issue - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #1

Tire issue

Hello all,

I have been reading on a few forums and I have not been able to find any specifics but have seen people post on other threads about tire issues, although I cannot find if it is a 7th generation issue or across the board on all Coupes. (if this is in the wrong spot, please let me know so I can move it)

Ok so I am a new Accord owner... YAY! and this is the first car in a LONG time that I have been able to get excited about. I have a 04 6 speed 6cyl coupe. Mostly all stock except for some LED upgrades, HIDs, and a shift knob. So when I got the car it had toyo tires on it, and the first time it rained, the car was all over the place, when id shift from 1-2 or 2-3 if I was not grandpa driving it, the traction control would come on, and it spins.
When I am coming onto the highway from an exit ramp in the rain, if I am going more than 20 the front end walks out and the whole car starts to slide.... So I figured, I had another car before this one that met its demise, but had brand new tires on it that did excellent in the rain and snow on that car, which was a Nissan Altima.
I took those tires, Yokohama nvigor(?) Avigor(?) Not sure right this moment, but I put those on the accord thinking, they did good in the snow, they should be better than the worn Toyos..... Well, I was wrong... Same issue. I was wondering if this has been an issue with anyone else?
I live in MD and the snow will be here soon, so I was wondering if I could get some ideas of what some other drivers have used in the snow and had good results with.

The tire that was on the Altima was slightly taller, but not wider, same width.

A guy on another forum told me I didnt know how to drive... I didnt feel like arguing with him, and telling him Ive probably been driving longer than he has been walking, so I left that site completely. Im not driving erratic, not doing any crazy fast pulls, but it just seemed to be a little excessive to me in the rain. Before I go drop another couple hundred on tires (that could go to another mod) I figured id ask here and see if anyone has had similar experiences.

Thanks in advance
hightechredneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #2

So here's my experience, I have an 03 same as your 04. I got it with some Dunlop (dont recall which) summer tires used in January of 07 in the northeast. Horrible winter driving, and I have yet to do the clutch slave cylinder mod. I then got my Drag DR14 wheels 18x7.5 with Nexen 300 all season tires 225/40. This was a great improvement even in winter. When time came for replacement tires I went with Nankangs (don't recall which) and tho all seasons they were crap in the winter. Handled great in the summer. I'm now on toyo proxy 4s that handles similar to the Nexens in the winter tho not as well in the summer. I also do have some suspension upgrades, not sure how much of an impact this has on what you're experiencing tho.
Rich01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 6th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #3

Hmmm I have had nexens on other vehicles, but didnt have the car in Winter conditions. What slave cylinder mod? I want to do the sway bar mods as soon as I can get through all of the posts to decide what I want to go with on the front and rear, and end links, bushings, etc....

Thanks for the response. Ill have to look into those, at least 2 for the front before snowfall

Old November 6th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #4

The slave cylinder clutch mod consist of removing the check valve inside it. This was put in by honda to limit how fast the fluid rushes back thus helping with smoother engagement tho more of an annoyance during spirited driving/someone who knows how to drive a manual car correctly.

Keep in mind that the Nexens in stock v6 6spd size may not help bring that they are lighter than a 18" wheel.
Rich01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 6th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #5

Is it pulling while in the gas? Our trans don't have LSD (limited slip differential) so it allows one tire to spin faster then the other, what people call torque steer. On dry roads I get this, of course at WOT.

In you case, winter, if your staying in the gas and it pulls, try letting off the gas (if you don't already). I've never had my car in snow but I run summer tire that are not good at all in rain, so I feel your pain. I've gone 3 lanes over hydro planning.... No Bueno.

Don't have a good answer for you. Maybe try higher end all season tires, or get a winter set
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 7th, 2014, 03:34 AM   #6

It pulls HARD when in the gas on dry surfaces, but in the rain, the dash light comes on that is for the traction control system and I can feel it spinning because the car wants to drift left when it does it. To show you an example to prove im not driving like an ass, ( going to have to turn in my man card for a few minutes for this one) Yesterday it was raining and about 60 degrees out. I started off from a stoplight next to a .... (I dont even wanna say it) Smart car... and the smart car pulled off faster than I did and never lost traction. This turned into a 2 lane merge lane to a highway and this little car whipped around those corners and pulled in front of me like he was on rails. I was only doing about 25-35 maybe.

Starting I feathered the clutch so it wouldnt spin, and shifted early so it was not in anyway near a powerband part of acceleration, and the light still flashed a bit...

Im going to see if I can find a cheap set of rims on the local Facebook pages near me and try different tires and see if that helps. The strange thing is the Nissan Altima these came off of was a v6 also and I punched on that (Auto though) like I stole it and it hardly broke traction at all. (maybe the honda has more Cojones!!)
To my knowledge this car is stock, but the more I drive it and inspect the motor closely, it looks like the motor has been out before. ( a few missing bolts on some clamps.. Maybe the previous owner did some engine mods....

I really appreciate all of the replies, I remember reading on some forum that someone else was having a similar issue, but I cant find it to see what the solution was.
I absolutely love this car and cant wait to do some more mods to it. I have a few I have in the works, mainly convenience things, not performance but cool just the same. Little teaser, one is a fog light retrofit and the other is VERY useful on a standard transmission if you have a remote start.. (not a completely new idea, just better than any I have seen). I look forward to sharing when I get the testing part done, and all the pics and videos organized.
Old November 7th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #7

Check your suspension components. Lower control arm bushing, tie rods, springs, shocks, everything. Something doesn't sound right with your set up.

Does the car pull to one side in general ? When you steer straight, does it go straight ?
Old November 8th, 2014, 03:41 AM   #8

Overall it does steer straight, on some of the highways where there are ruts in the road it wants to pull to one side or another, but I believe thats just the road. Car just passed MD inspection in August, and they are *******s and try to gouge you anywhere they can, And all of that was part of their check, and the mechanic is one of the only decent ones I know who is honest so if it was bad or close he would have told me. Visual inspection of these looks fine, I will have to jack it up and feel for movement on the ball joints and end links, etc.

One wierd thing I did notice was when it is dry, and there is not much traffic around, (or cops :-P) When I do open her up a bit the front end rises during acceleration more than I believe it should, and dips more when braking, so maybe the struts or springs may be nearing end of life. When I hit bumps, it is smooth and does not indicate anything worn, most of the larger bumps near DC (frigging potholes, pavement junctions, etc) are less noticeable than when I hit them in my Silverado. Suspension was definitely on my list of things to change, as well as the sway arms and end links, etc.
I changed the front brake rotors about a month ago to Brembo blanks and pads, and that made a NICE difference in the braking of the car, this morning, a deer jumped pout in front of me, and from 70 to 30 before I **** my pants, and a quick jerk to the right and the front end was solid and didnt even squeal.. rear end was a different story, and the body roll was crazy, but the deer missed getting a mirror to the face by an inch or 2 and my car avoided any deer damage... whew...My underwear though, may need to be replaced...

Thanks for the replys and help troubleshooting and shooting ideas my way, never know when another driver may make that little lightbulb in your head go DING!!
Old November 8th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #9

Maybe it's torque steer or lack of LSD then. When I first purchased my car and went WOT, torque steer freaked me out. That was back in 08' and I'm obviously used to it now. Those AT guys with RWD have it easy, point it straight and step on the gas. Whats fun about that?

My buddy with a CL type S (LSD) seriously was like "Damn, your busy behind the wheel at WOT". This is what it's like
Old November 10th, 2014, 12:54 AM   #10
The Jester

what exactly is this torque steer I keep hearing about? May be experiencing it without a name to the feeling.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 10th, 2014, 03:49 AM   #11

Torque steering
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Torque steering is the influence of engine torque on the steering, especially in front-wheel drive vehicles with transversely mounted engines. For example, during heavy acceleration the steering may pull to one side, which may be disturbing to the driver. The effect is manifested either as a tugging sensation in the steering wheel, or a veering of the vehicle from the intended path. Torque steer is directly related to differences in the forces in the contact patches of the left and right drive wheels. The effect becomes more evident when high torques are applied to the drive wheels either because of a high overall reduction ratio between the engine and wheels[1], high engine torque, or some combination of the two. Torque steering is distinct from steering kickback.

I have experienced this in other cars badly. When I saw people racing and they were jerking the wheels left and right on accel,at Wide Open, I thought it was strange until I experienced it for myself. This car is not that bad, but I have never really got into it from a sit still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in