Looking to upgrade my wheels. Few questions. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #1

Looking to upgrade my wheels. Few questions.

Hey guys, so I am going to be purchasing a set of wheels and tires as an upgrade for my car. I was hoping you'd be able to help fill the info gap I currently have. I have done a ton of research, so I understand far more now than I did.

Here are the wheels I am looking at getting. Size wise, I want to buy 18x8.5 ET30. I want to wrap them in 235/40/18.

I DO plan on getting my fenders rolled, so take that into consideration.

My stock wheels are 17x7.5 ET55, but I am running 20mm spacers, and I am still unable to understand how that affects my numbers.

My biggest question to you...

Will the new specs (with rolled fenders) allow me to run these wheels/tires without rubbing and without unnecessary camber?

Alternatively, would running 225/40/18 be considered stretching? Or would that be a safe size to help reduce any rubbing issues.

I was originally looking at a +35 offset wheel, but they don't make these in that offset size, unfortunately.

My driving still is not that aggressive. I do love to accelerate, and I do love to take the occasional corner pretty aggressively, so whatever I do, I want it to be safe for my style.

If there is any other information I can provide, let me know.

Thanks!
crkdslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #2

Not trying to be like "0mg get [email protected] wh33ls br0" thats not my style. But personally I would try to find a nice light weight wheel (btw whats the weight on these?), preferably forged. I have heard mixed about Str as well. You have a clean coupe, i just wouldn't want you to run into an issue. Have you looked at any other wheels or are you dead set on these? I went from stock 6spd wheels to a forged bbs wheel and I have been much happier knowing I have a stronger wheel and the car feels slightly more agile.
Nickdees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2016, 12:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdees View Post
Not trying to be like "0mg get [email protected] wh33ls br0" thats not my style. But personally I would try to find a nice light weight wheel (btw whats the weight on these?), preferably forged. I have heard mixed about Str as well. You have a clean coupe, i just wouldn't want you to run into an issue. Have you looked at any other wheels or are you dead set on these? I went from stock 6spd wheels to a forged bbs wheel and I have been much happier knowing I have a stronger wheel and the car feels slightly more agile.
Thank you for the comment, compliment, and concern!

The wheels are a single pound lighter than my OE wheels at 20 lbs. I wasn't too concerned with weight considering I don't track my car, nor do any super aggressive driving that would justify the needed weight loss. It's 90+% for aesthetics really. It just hit 110k miles, and it needs to last me awhile longer, so I don't plan on pushing the car very hard, tbh.

I also don't live in the best area, and the car is not garaged. I don't want to have a big reason to wake up in the morning and see my car on blocks.

For these reasons, and careful consideration, I am pretty set on these wheels. It is the style I like, and they are not that expensive. (Pretty being I am open to others, but don't want to spend BBS money on wheels.)

Old January 17th, 2016, 10:21 AM   #4

Gotcha, those are understandable reasons. I don't track mine yet, maybe one day once I get new vehicles and still have this sitting around. I picked up my bbs on Craigslist for 800 with tires with no rash bends or cracks otherwise I wouldn't have paid retail for them. But if they are lighter than oem that's a plus haha. Well I think they will look good though bit sadly I don't know much about fitment. Post pictures when you get new wheels though!
Nickdees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2016, 04:24 PM   #5
Honda enthusiast

The 18x9.5 +35 would be my choice. I have a buddy who has the 18x8.5+30 on his is300, he likes them.
michaellowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 17th, 2016, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellowrider View Post
The 18x9.5 +35 would be my choice. I have a buddy who has the 18x8.5+30 on his is300, he likes them.
18x8.5 +35 would be my choice as well, but they only make +30 in this wheel... Do you think that 5mm is going to cause me issues, even with rolled fenders?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old January 17th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickdees View Post
Gotcha, those are understandable reasons. I don't track mine yet, maybe one day once I get new vehicles and still have this sitting around. I picked up my bbs on Craigslist for 800 with tires with no rash bends or cracks otherwise I wouldn't have paid retail for them. But if they are lighter than oem that's a plus haha. Well I think they will look good though bit sadly I don't know much about fitment. Post pictures when you get new wheels though!
I definitely am still keeping an eye out on both Craigslist and OfferUp. I'm not against it if they come at a good price.

Old January 17th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkdslider View Post
18x8.5 +35 would be my choice as well, but they only make +30 in this wheel... Do you think that 5mm is going to cause me issues, even with rolled fenders?

No. 5mm isn't too much to be worried about.

Here's 18x8 +30 with 225/45/18

Also, the .5 shouldn't be a big difference either.
crkdslider likes this.
Old January 17th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #9

That's a sexy looking coupe! Did those wheels come off an infinity?

After see the setup on that, I feel a lot of my worries gone. Thanks man.

With that. 5, it looks like it might protrude in the front though, and not the rear.

Old January 18th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #10
Honda enthusiast

I was talking about the 9.5 width +35 offset size, that is the money size. 8.5 is kinda skinny for a square after market setup when wider is easily available.
michaellowrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2016, 09:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellowrider View Post
I was talking about the 9.5 width +35 offset size, that is the money size. 8.5 is kinda skinny for a square after market setup when wider is easily available.
Ahh, I was under the impression that 9.5 would cause me issues and I'd have add some camber in order to prevent rubbing. That's why I didn't consider it.

Old January 18th, 2016, 02:04 PM   #12

It all depends on what you're going for.

This is 18x9.5 +38

as you can see, lowered a bit and not a real meaty tire size.

width plays a roll, but offset plays a bigger role.
crkdslider likes this.
757Accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 18th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Accord View Post
It all depends on what you're going for.

This is 18x9.5 +38

as you can see, lowered a bit and not a real meaty tire size.

width plays a roll, but offset plays a bigger role.
I'll see what I can do about finding a 18x9.5 then.

So you think 18x9.5 +35 offset would be fine?

It looks like it would work fine.

Old January 18th, 2016, 03:03 PM   #14

Anything can be "fine" lol. it's really up to you on what you're trying to achieve. There's multiple different setups you can run. But a 18x9.5 is very popular among the coupes.

This was my old setup. 18x9.5 +23

But it was on a 215/40 which is a stretch.

Like I said before; it's all what you're trying to go for. If you want that super low stretch look, get a 18x9.5 +15 and 215/40. But if you're tryna stay like, decent height and just super flush, maybe anywhere in the +30-40 range would work.
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:39 PM   #15

I LOVE that concave setup. I was originally going to go with the Traklite Clutch wheels, because they have some gorgeous concave. But that concave only comes with a 10+ inch width, so I said no to it.

Old January 18th, 2016, 07:45 PM   #16

So I was able to get into contact with Traklite, the company I was originally going to go with.

These wheels..

http://traklitewheels.com/listing/wheels/clutch/

I was told that anything under a 10" width would not carry a concave look. Fortunately for me, I was wrong! The guy from Traklite told me they still carry that concave look, and showed pictures to prove it.

I am going to go back to my original choice of the Traklite Clutch. Machined Bronze color at 18x8.5 et35.

Now, I was going to get 235/40/18 for tires, but now I'm considering 225/40/18. Do you think that will run me any issues? Or I guess would that be considered a "stretched" tire?

Thanks!

Old January 21st, 2016, 07:11 AM   #17

a 225/40 on a 8.5 is a minimal stretch (see below)

Here's a 235/40

But you also have to take into consideration, the brand. Some brands stretch more/less than others. I'm assuming you're a not so cheapo guy (if you're the same guy that I've see over on DA.net and on the FB page) then I'd assume you'd be leaning towards something like, Continentals, Michelins, etc. I had a 225/40 Nankang tire on a 9.5 wheel and it stretched ALOT to where it looked like a 205/40 and I wasn't okay with that.

Overall, you shouldn't run into any issues. If you're already planning on rolling fenders and not be super slammed, those specs should be good.

this is the same spec as your wheels and running a 225/40 tire. (just the front though; rears are 9.5)

crkdslider likes this.
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:49 AM   #18

Wow! Fantastic information, thank you so much!

That 235/40 setup looks sexy! I think I'm going to just stick with that. Something about it makes it look more "full," if that makes sense. As far as tires go, I was looking at either Continental or BFGoodrich Sport Comp 2's. I've actually been hearing a lot of good feedback about those tires. I've been unable to find very, very few negative comments on it. Haven't decided, but those are my two options as of now.

I really appreciate the info, man!

I'm sure you've seen me on DA, but I'm not on FB, so not sure about that unless someone else has posted my car.

This is how my car sat at 215/50/17 a couple of months ago.

Here's how she currently sits. Same wheel setup.

Old January 21st, 2016, 08:35 AM   #19

I have the aspec TL wheels 18x8 +35 with a 235/40/18. they r close in the rear but no rub. the fronts all i had to do was relocate the fender splash guards above the tabs. no other modifications fr or rear. im also dropped on koni yellow/htech.
crkdslider likes this.
Old January 21st, 2016, 08:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07J30 View Post
I have the aspec TL wheels 18x8 +35 with a 235/40/18. they r close in the rear but no rub. the fronts all i had to do was relocate the fender splash guards above the tabs. no other modifications fr or rear. im also dropped on koni yellow/htech.
Now I'm wondering again if 18x8.5 is going to make me rub since you are close with 18x8. Same offset.

Are your fenders rolled? If not, I might still be safe.

Old January 21st, 2016, 09:11 AM   #21

not rolled, and for some reason i think i recall reading somewhere on here that coupes can get away with a little more aggressive wheel specs than sedans. not 100% on that though.
crkdslider likes this.
Old January 21st, 2016, 10:41 AM   #22

Yeah, the coupes can run more aggressive setups. Well, not alot but more than sedans. The same wheel that would be flush on a sedan would be semi-sunk on a coupe.

Like a 18x9.5 +23 wheel on a sedan would poke out a little bit, but on a coupe it's literally flush or very close to it.

also, I thought this was you since the front end looked the same. lol

Old January 21st, 2016, 11:02 AM   #23

Ok, well, in that case, I feel fine about it again lol

Hopefully 18x8.5 +35 doesn't tuck though. I want it flush. Maybe I should go with +30?

Sorry, when it comes to the finite numbers for wheel specs, it's hard for me to grasp. Not my specialty.

Wow! Definitely a twin lol
If I still had my formfit, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference!

Old January 21st, 2016, 11:06 AM   #24

Well if anything, you could always add a spacer. I know some don't like running them, but I have them and no complaints. If you get +35 and want it more flush, can always add a 5 or 10mm spacer. If you get the +30, you won't be able to make it smaller if it pokes out way to much. but the +30 would look very similar to the black coupe I posted up first. minus the .5 in width, but it'll essentially look the same.
Old January 21st, 2016, 11:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Well if anything, you could always add a spacer. I know some don't like running them, but I have them and no complaints. If you get +35 and want it more flush, can always add a 5 or 10mm spacer. If you get the +30, you won't be able to make it smaller if it pokes out way to much. but the +30 would look very similar to the black coupe I posted up first. minus the .5 in width, but it'll essentially look the same.
I absolutely love the stance of the black coupe. You're talking about the one with the MB's right? Isn't that yours?

I want that look. That's basically exactly what I'm going for, just different set of wheels.

How is daily driving with a car that low?

Old January 21st, 2016, 11:09 AM   #26

^^thats what I'd do also^^
07J30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 21st, 2016, 11:10 AM   #27

Oh, the battles? Yeah, that's mine. But mine were 18x9.5 +23 so different specs than yours. lol I was talking about the very first one up top. I believe it was a 18x8 +30

But, I wouldn't really recommend it going that low on a daily driven car. Mine wasn't daily driven so it was okay. But, if I had a do-over, I would get a tire one size bigger and have it maybe tuck 1/8 of the tire instead of 1/2 or 2/3.

Here's a pic of the same specs you want. 18x8.5 +30

Old January 21st, 2016, 11:13 AM   #28

But, I think the same wheels that I had, would be a SUPER flush fitment with the right height and right tire size.

Was a little too low for daily driven. lol

Old January 21st, 2016, 11:17 AM   #29

Quote:
Oh, the battles? Yeah, that's mine. But mine were 18x9.5 +23 so different specs than yours. lol I was talking about the very first one up top. I believe it was a 18x8 +30

But, I wouldn't really recommend it going that low on a daily driven car. Mine wasn't daily driven so it was okay. But, if I had a do-over, I would get a tire one size bigger and have it maybe tuck 1/8 of the tire instead of 1/2 or 2/3.

Here's a pic of the same specs you want. 18x8.5 +30

This picture makes me feel comfortable about the size. I didn't plan on going as low as you did with the Battles, because of the fact it is my daily, as you stated. I think the driving experience would be similar to my current setup. I scrape a little as it is with as low as I am.

Preferably, I am not really going to tuck any of the wheel at all; unless what I want is not possible without tucking the wheel.

So, I should say, I want the same, or as close to the same, as your car with the Battles, but in a realistic daily drive form.

I love that concave!
Old January 21st, 2016, 11:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Lmao... At the risk of embarrassing myself, I actually have had this picture saved to my phone for the past... Almost 2 years? You've got such a sexy looking car man. Instead of trying to explain to people what I want to do, I just show them this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in