Alignment issues - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:04 PM   #1

Alignment issues

My completely stock 2004 V6 Accord Sedan is having problems with the alignment in the rear.

I took the snow tires off and put the stocks back on and took it to the dealer to have the alignment checked/done. They use the exact same machine as the Honda factory plant does so I would like to assume it's accurate. The dealer said they are one of two dealers in Ohio that have the machine.

They said they can't get the rear camber in spec. It's out by 1/10th. So, the drivers rear wheel is tilted in and the passengers rear is tilted out. If bad enough, it will wear the inside of the drivers rear and the outside of the passengers rear.

The car has 9k on it and I asked what would have caused this. He said hitting a curb, bad pothole, etc. I know we didn't hit a curb, but a pothole in Ohio is a possibility.

He said he lowered (loosended the bolts) the suspension to see if he could get it back in. The best they could do was the 1/10th out. I asked what a control arm costs and he said $500 installed as that's what they said is probably VERY slightly bent. Or, I can do a camber kit for $250. At the end, he said, "you know what I would do?" "Not worry about it." He said, "being 1/10th out, isn't a big deal. Rotate the tires and move on. If it gets to the point that it's out more and more (bigger discrepancy), then you may have to use the camber kit or the new control arm. However, for now, just drive it and watch the rotation/tire wear."

What do you guys think? Candidly, I'm frustrated that with 9k on the car, we have an issue already. Although, it's not Honda's fault, it's probably ours. Still stinks. I'm thinking that I'll just drive it and see what happens. However, I'm not comfortable with the 1/10th out as I don't know if that's a lot, or not. The dealer says no, but I wanted to run it by you guys.

Sorry for the length.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Shumax
Shumax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 21st, 2005, 03:26 PM   #2

Honestly, get a camber kit. If ur alignment is off and u can fix it for 250 do it, cause ur gonna need new tires after u rub them out anyway right?, either way. And if u want to lower your car or put a suspension on u already have the camber kit. Cant go wrong i dont see.
Jackthewack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:28 PM   #3
Hopelessly Honda...

I don't believe you can adjust camber on our stock Accords... only toe. Should you have a problem with tire wear, I would definatley go for the camber kit. Good luck.
3rdV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 21st, 2005, 04:56 PM   #4

1/10th is hardly a big deal- people are running 1 degree out of spec and not getting excessive wear because Honda "Oked" it for the HFP kit.
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 21st, 2005, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captal
1/10th is hardly a big deal- people are running 1 degree out of spec and not getting excessive wear because Honda "Oked" it for the HFP kit.

That's kind of what I figured, but wanted to be sure.
Old March 21st, 2005, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdV6
I don't believe you can adjust camber on our stock Accords... only toe. Should you have a problem with tire wear, I would definatley go for the camber kit. Good luck.

Huh? You don't think we can adjust camber on our Accords, but you suggest the camber kit? Am I missing something, or were you drinking?

One or the other there, big guy...
Old March 21st, 2005, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackthewack
Honestly, get a camber kit. If ur alignment is off and u can fix it for 250 do it, cause ur gonna need new tires after u rub them out anyway right?, either way. And if u want to lower your car or put a suspension on u already have the camber kit. Cant go wrong i dont see.

I don't plan to ever touch the suspension on my car until the stock setup fails. I don't look at our Accord as a sports car/sedan/coupe. For my wife, it's near luxury transportation (EX-L trim) and that's the way it will stay.

That said, saving $250 is key to me. On the other hand, if that alignment will shread tires, I obviously will be replacing whatever needs to be replaced in order to have it back in alignment.

I just think that being out that little isn't going to be a big deal. I was hoping for confirmation of that, or, for someone to tell me I'm nuts and that I had better replace it.

Thanks.
Old March 21st, 2005, 09:36 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to nycsam786
if it aint broke dont fix it
nycsam786 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2005, 02:54 AM   #9

UPDATE:

I had my wife take the car over. Long story, but we're moving. So, the trunk had an empty propane tank. A cooler full of food, a bag of fertilizer, a back of rock salt, etc. I.E., the trunk was rather full.

Is it possible the extra weight was causing them problems getting it into alignment?
Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:39 AM   #10
Hopelessly Honda...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumax
Huh? You don't think we can adjust camber on our Accords, but you suggest the camber kit? Am I missing something, or were you drinking?

One or the other there, big guy...
If you re-read my post, I said I don't think you can adjust the camber on the STOCK Accord the way it is.

You can however, add an aftermarket camber kit.
3rdV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdV6
If you re-read my post, I said I don't think you can adjust the camber on the STOCK Accord the way it is.

You can however, add an aftermarket camber kit.

If you read my post carefully, the reason I made the comment is because you are wrong. You CAN adjust the camber on the STOCK Accord Sedan V6.

I've had two alignments done and a measurement was made and an adjustment applied each time.

Last edited by Shumax; March 22nd, 2005 at 08:30 AM..
Old March 22nd, 2005, 08:28 AM   #12

Quote:
UPDATE:

I had my wife take the car over. Long story, but we're moving. So, the trunk had an empty propane tank. A cooler full of food, a bag of fertilizer, a back of rock salt, etc. I.E., the trunk was rather full.

Is it possible the extra weight was causing them problems getting it into alignment?

I called the dealer this morning and they got a laugh out of it. The extra 100lbs. in the rear certainly could have caused a problem with aligning the rear of the car, and, specifically the camber.

My wife is taking the car back tomorrow to have it redone with an empty car. They are confident it will easily be adjusted.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:04 PM   #13

Quote:
I asked what a control arm costs and he said $500 installed as that's what they said is probably VERY slightly bent.

And after you are done taking it back to them, never go back there again. If they are too stupid to notice a trunk full of junk and are quoting you that price for a "control arm" you should run away.

FYI, the most expensive single link in the rear suspension is under $45.00 The knuckle itself is a hair over 100. Installing any single one would take at most, one hour by a professional. Hell, I did two uppers in 2.5 hours in my garage with simple hand tools. Like I said, "run".

J
Jinx32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 22nd, 2005, 04:32 PM   #14

I think your just too picky. hehe I have 63k and have never had an alignment done. My car doesn't pull to either side. I just replaced my stock tires at 61k and they wore perfectly. I live in the midwest too and avoid potholes as much as possible.

I think it should be fine but just keep an eye on your tires and see that they wear evenly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spoiler, Splash guards, fenderliners, chrome tips, day/night mirror, 3M clear-film hood protectant, 35% llumar Tint, pinstripes? (came with it)
Brembo blank rotors with Napa Auto Premium Ceramix brake pads (stops better than stock brakes)
Blue03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue03
I think your just too picky. hehe I have 63k and have never had an alignment done. My car doesn't pull to either side. I just replaced my stock tires at 61k and they wore perfectly. I live in the midwest too and avoid potholes as much as possible.

I think it should be fine but just keep an eye on your tires and see that they wear evenly.

That's a matter of opinion---being picky that is. The car is 8months old and can't be placed into alignment? I'm picky for wanting an 8-month old, un-modified car, be in alignment? I think it's crazy NOT to want that.

The dealer ended up ordering two new rear control arms and placed them under warranty. They are in the process of being installed now. should have the car back at 3pm today.

Thanks.
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #16
mog

Quote:
That's a matter of opinion---being picky that is. The car is 8months old and can't be placed into alignment? I'm picky for wanting an 8-month old, un-modified car, be in alignment? I think it's crazy NOT to want that.

The dealer ended up ordering two new rear control arms and placed them under warranty. They are in the process of being installed now. should have the car back at 3pm today.

Thanks.

Do you have ur exact rear camber numbers? 0.1degrees difference is very little. Is this 0.1 away from spec or 0.1 cross camber(right camber-left camber)? My car was on the alignment rack once and i saw the camber change by 0.5 when the alignment guy sat inside. You should be happy if your car doesnt pull
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mog
Do you have ur exact rear camber numbers? 0.1degrees difference is very little. Is this 0.1 away from spec or 0.1 cross camber(right camber-left camber)? My car was on the alignment rack once and i saw the camber change by 0.5 when the alignment guy sat inside. You should be happy if your car doesnt pull

I don't have the numbers with me now; however, I'll get them this weekend and post them. I will say that the car is now in alignment and everything is fine.

I'm just sensitive to the alignment issue as it cost me $600 in tires on another car I had; despite my having it checked at least once a year. I use to subscribe to the theory that if it didn't "pull" that things were fine. If your camber or caster is out, you won't necessarily feel anything. If your toe is out, you should. My camber had been out and wore the inside edges on an unmodified car. Wore them so much they feathered. Once I caught it, I was too late. They put it back into alignment, but the tires started making a funny thumping noise and the vibrations started. It just snow balled from there.

So, that's part of the reason I want this car to be perfectly aligned.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to jwarren
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumax View Post
I don't have the numbers with me now; however, I'll get them this weekend and post them. I will say that the car is now in alignment and everything is fine.

I'm just sensitive to the alignment issue as it cost me $600 in tires on another car I had; despite my having it checked at least once a year. I use to subscribe to the theory that if it didn't "pull" that things were fine. If your camber or caster is out, you won't necessarily feel anything. If your toe is out, you should. My camber had been out and wore the inside edges on an unmodified car. Wore them so much they feathered. Once I caught it, I was too late. They put it back into alignment, but the tires started making a funny thumping noise and the vibrations started. It just snow balled from there.

So, that's part of the reason I want this car to be perfectly aligned.

Thanks for everyone's help.
I have my 04 6spd lowered 1.7" I had 18" rims with more gripping sport tires on it and they lasted about 8 months before feathering on the inside all the way to the steel. I put new harder tires on the stock rims and put them back on. and they have lasted about 13 months and are on their way out, also due to feathering on the inside. I have had it aligned several times and these are still not lasting.
Do I need to get the shocks swapped out? If so, What should I get for my level of lowering?
thanks for the help.
jwarren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #19
J33 w/TL LSD 6 Speed

Send a message via AIM to 05AV6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwarren View Post
I have my 04 6spd lowered 1.7" I had 18" rims with more gripping sport tires on it and they lasted about 8 months before feathering on the inside all the way to the steel. I put new harder tires on the stock rims and put them back on. and they have lasted about 13 months and are on their way out, also due to feathering on the inside. I have had it aligned several times and these are still not lasting.
Do I need to get the shocks swapped out? If so, What should I get for my level of lowering?
thanks for the help.
Obviously they aren't aligning the car properly, get a Camber kit and make sure its as close to 0 as possible.
05AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #20

If you are in the Cincinnati area, go to performance alignment. The outside may not look the best, but they do a great job.
Icedragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #21
Very Inspired

Send a message via AIM to haiyter
what the heck, this thread is two years old and someone decided to revive it for no reason
haiyter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in