Coilover or....... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:07 PM   #1

Coilover or.......

Im not sure wether or not to get the Tein basics, or get some koni yellows with htech springs or h&r. I want to get a nice low drop just under 2 inches with close to stock ride quality. Im not to hung up on what the ride quality will be but ofcourse i want the best i can find an offord. In every ones opinion what would be a good combo with shocks and springs, or coilovers. Im leaning more tward the tein basics, I dont like hfp kit eithe cause the drop def. isnt enough.
Jackthewack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #2

get tein basic, you wont regret it.
Igotvtec04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #3

The tein basics seem a little easier to work with, i get height adjustability wich is good but only becuase i can actually pick my drop level. with springs i seem to be stuck where im at. Also i get the complete package with tein so to say. The coilover is a full system and i wont have to worry about spring/shock compatablitly or rather how well they will work with eachother. it would suck to get 2 kick ass set ups spring and shock and to find out they are to harsh ride qualtiy. also with the tein basics i would oly need rear camber yes/no?
Jackthewack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 11th, 2005, 05:15 PM   #4

Just for reference from what I've read the TEIN basics are going to be a stiff ride. You can't adjust the dampering on them, just the height. From what I recall they are like having the TEIN-ss set at like 5 or 6 don't remember exactly. Do a search for that. So if ride quality doesn't matter then I'd do that. I was dealing with the same issue but decided to put the H&R on the Koni's and couldn't be happier. Seeing as you can adjust the dampering on the Koni's and they are height adjustable, but not like coilover. You need to remove the spring to adjust the height on the Koni's. Speaking from experience the H&R with Koni's fit fine, not a problem at all installing them.
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #5
wearYELLOW :: liveSTRONG

I have the Tein Basics and they are just a little stiffer than stock. But, unless you plan on going to the drag strip or doing AutoX, dampering isn't necessary unless you really want a soft ride over stock or an extremely stiff ride. I love it and i'm glad with my decision.
The Sync is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #6

I had HFP suspension then switch to tein basic, no difference rides the same im surprised and whats best about it is you can adjust the height. Love it.
Igotvtec04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #7

To be honest hearing that frustrates me now. When I asked a long long time back I got the impression they would have been much stiffer, so i went H&R. Glad to hear both of you like the set up, would have probally went that route myself thinking about it now. Would have definitely been cheaper for install in the long run. But its all good, like my setup also. Peace.
Old April 11th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #8

I have Tein S-techs I love the drop and I'm getting Koni's in a few weeks through a GB. From what I hear about Koni's I dont think I'm going to be dissapointed.
Nsaladino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsaladino
I have Tein S-techs I love the drop and I'm getting Koni's in a few weeks through a GB. From what I hear about Koni's I dont think I'm going to be dissapointed.
ditto im also doing the s-techs and am in the same GB
Raddy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 11th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddy21
ditto im also doing the s-techs and am in the same GB

I've got S-Techs with the Koni Adjustables, and am very happy with the results.
pharmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #11
No Life LowLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotvtec04
I had HFP suspension then switch to tein basic, no difference rides the same im surprised and whats best about it is you can adjust the height. Love it.
Besides Igotvtec04, does anyone else have any input on how hfp and tein basic comparison? The agony of choosing between the two is killing me!!!!!
Leeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #12
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
well both the hfp and the tein basic are constant rate springs i believe... and my belief is based on a VISUAL inspection.

so i would assume at a certain height the spring rates would be the same. and therefore the ride should be the same assuming that the shocks have the same damping ratio.

my advice is this..get koni yellows (they have a million mile warranty) and then get Ground Control Coilovers (eibach million mile warranty i believe applies) and mate the two and presto you have a coilover system which is both height and damping adjustable. (and possibly also a million mile warranty).

i think im going to do that with my konis, or mebbe ill make a custom coilover sleeve using tein htechs.
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #13
No Life LowLife

Lemme put it this way, how does hfp and tein basic compare w/ luxo suspension setups like MB, BMW, and Audis? Love the way these guys absorb bumps and potholes. Can hfp and tein basics do that?
Leeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 26th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #14
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeak
Lemme put it this way, how does hfp and tein basic compare w/ luxo suspension setups like MB, BMW, and Audis? Love the way these guys absorb bumps and potholes. Can hfp and tein basics do that?
nope. the reason being that those guys use electronic dampers. those electronic shocks continuously change the resistance of the fluid inside the damper to increase damping almost instantaneously.

us poor folk are stuck with one damper setting, or for those with more advanced dampers 10 or more if u get the likes of tein SS, or Koni yellows.

so, to ans your question no hfp and tein basics cannot do that since the shocks will not adjust to damping.
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #15
Frisco You Know!

I won't go with coilovers due to the constant attention you have to pay to them to keep them balanced on all 4 wheels. I would get H&R with Koni yellows. Basic coilovers with constant rates are useless. If you really want to get coilovers for daily driven cars (waste if you ask me), then get the Tien SS.

Oh and you need the rear camber kit. a .75 rear drop causes the rear to be around -2
zeoth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmb
I've got S-Techs with the Koni Adjustables, and am very happy with the results.
sounds good do you have pics bro?
Raddy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #17
6thgenaccord.com

Send a message via AIM to Wildman
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeoth
I won't go with coilovers due to the constant attention you have to pay to them to keep them balanced on all 4 wheels. I would get H&R with Koni yellows. Basic coilovers with constant rates are useless. If you really want to get coilovers for daily driven cars (waste if you ask me), then get the Tien SS.

Oh and you need the rear camber kit. a .75 rear drop causes the rear to be around -2
huh?? constant attention, I have no idea what you're talking about. I have Tein SS coilovers on my car, you don't have to pay constant attention to them at all. Spin the perches to where you want them, tighten the locking perch, and forget about it.

Also, a lot of coilovers have constant spring rates. Varying spring rates like Eibach springs are designed to minimize negative effects on low-quality struts, because a progressive spring acts like a stock spring 70% of the time, so its a way to minimize the extra stress that a dropped car has on shocks, so that people can try and get buy with stock shocks.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #18
Frisco You Know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
huh?? constant attention, I have no idea what you're talking about. I have Tein SS coilovers on my car, you don't have to pay constant attention to them at all. Spin the perches to where you want them, tighten the locking perch, and forget about it.

Also, a lot of coilovers have constant spring rates. Varying spring rates like Eibach springs are designed to minimize negative effects on low-quality struts, because a progressive spring acts like a stock spring 70% of the time, so its a way to minimize the extra stress that a dropped car has on shocks, so that people can try and get buy with stock shocks.
They have locks on them now? About time. They didn't before.
zeoth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 29th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeoth
No way, my ride was within spec dropped over an inch, not saying it wasn't pushing the limit on spec ( -1.5 accroding to Honda). It won't hit - 2.0 camber until you get close to a 2" drop. But the fact of the matter is you need a rear camber kit if you lower the car, wether it be 1" or 3", unless your willing to wear tires out that is.
Old April 29th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #20
6thgenaccord.com

Send a message via AIM to Wildman
^^^ yeah i noticed that too, but i only wanted to argue a few points with him at a time lol. i'm dropped damn close to 2" if not 2" and my camber in the back is only at -1.2 and -1.7
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in