Front TL sway bar Install - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12th, 2005, 02:02 PM   #1

Front TL sway bar Install

Has any one install the front TL sway bars on a V6 sedan can you let me know if is hard to install
Stoner2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #2
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Compared to the rear one, yea, it'd probably be considered much more difficult. In order to swap the front bar, the front subframe has to be dropped.
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2005, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoner2003
Has any one install the front TL sway bars on a V6 sedan can you let me know if is hard to install
I let Alan Cox here in north atlanta do it for me, so it was easy. You have to drop the front subframe to do the install. If you have the tools you can do this. The shop took about 45 minutes for the install. I did not need an alignment after the install. I am also glad I did this mod.
2kwhtaccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 12th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #4
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwhtaccord
I let Alan Cox here in north atlanta do it for me, so it was easy. You have to drop the front subframe to do the install. If you have the tools you can do this. The shop took about 45 minutes for the install. I did not need an alignment after the install. I am also glad I did this mod.

you got lucky, from what i hear, it throws your alignment off and its hell to correct.
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #5
BPT Team

Send a message via MSN to Spoon_Inspire
sway bar would not throw your alignment off...

personally i like my car to be a little bit on the oversteer side, but not too much...so thicker in the back, and same up front...
Spoon_Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #6
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon_Inspire
sway bar would not throw your alignment off...
Not the sway bar.

Dropping the subframe typically puts it out of alignment. If yours isn't, I think you just got lucky.

But I don't know of it being "hell to correct".... I think an alignment can usually fix it up.

Last edited by 03LXV6Guy; April 12th, 2005 at 10:07 PM..
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #7
BPT Team

i never changed my front sway bar...only the rear...and yea i guess, if u mess with more than just the sway bar, u'll usually need an alignment...but either way, you should get an alignment done every year just to make sure ur car is travelling straight...saves a lot on the gas
Old April 14th, 2005, 07:17 AM   #8
BPT Team

^yes, the rear sway bar does infact make a big difference...the accord's in canada come with 13mm stock rear sway's..and changing to the TL made a difference, i wouldn't say made a big difference...because my other car (acura 1.7EL), i changed my rear from 13mm to 22mm (rsx-r) and it made a really really big difference...i guess it depends with vehicle and weight...
Old April 14th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to aceofspades626
The issue on the couple extra mm up front (for some at least) was the huge difference in the rear, but possibility of now getting too much oversteer. It's about balancing it out.
aceofspades626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u99
From what i heard the front sway when changed you will need to do a front alighnment. Also since our stock bar is like 25.5mm , 1.5 2.0 mm more isnt going to do anything for you.
Waste of money if you ask me. It has been proven by Comptech through various tests.
Use the extra 100 bucks and buy the Comptech SS for a 6MT or a new stainless steel exhaust.

The car is pretty much netural now for me , with my 27mm sway by comptech and stock 25.5 mm front bar.

Most people on here or practally everyone who installed the sways did either the rear first or both at the same time so no one can say that the front sway makes a big difference. Also it is a known fact that our stock sway is way way too small. Its like 15mm . Which causes instability when changing lanes and at high speeds.
27mm-15mm is a big difference

Install the rear sway which is much easier and you will notice a huge difference.
I beg to differ on your assertion about the front sway, I did 6 speed tl front sway several months after I had installed the rear 6 speed sway. I really did notice the difference after the install of the front. I previously had a type s tl and after the front and rear sways and front strut tower bar was installed on my V6 sedan the handling is getting close to what I had with the type s. Certainly need to upgrade the springs and shocks to further narrow the gap but, well that will be another day. The real question based on my observed differences between front and rear sway bar upgrade is would I do the front sway again and the answer is yes I would. If you live in atlanta area you can drive my ride and judge for yourself
Old April 14th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #11
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
From what i heard the front sway when changed you will need to do a front alighnment. Also since our stock bar is like 25.5mm , 1.5 2.0 mm more isnt going to do anything for you.
Waste of money if you ask me. It has been proven by Comptech through various tests.
Use the extra 100 bucks and buy the Comptech SS for a 6MT or a new stainless steel exhaust.

The car is pretty much netural now for me , with my 27mm sway by comptech and stock 25.5 mm front bar.

Most people on here or practally everyone who installed the sways did either the rear first or both at the same time so no one can say that the front sway makes a big difference. Also it is a known fact that our stock sway is way way too small. Its like 15mm . Which causes instability when changing lanes and at high speeds.
27mm-15mm is a big difference

Install the rear sway which is much easier and you will notice a huge difference.

27mm are you talking about the rear sway?? if so, i thought the comptech rear was only 22mm. that is almost double the stock 14mm. i only have the 20mm tl rear and i felt a difference.

Last edited by 04accordcpe; April 14th, 2005 at 09:26 PM..
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Well if that was the case howcome comptech never released a front sway
probably because there is not a big enough market for it. I would counter your question, why did honda build it if you did not need it - at least in a performance type ride??

Maybe, also comptech sells to a lot of diy'ers and this one is not really an easy diy.

However, to be honest comptech would have to answer your question. I can only say I am glad I installed the 27mm front sway and I would do it again as I did notice the difference.

finally this subject is not worthy of debate, if you do not want to do it do not do it, if you do then go ahead. all mods are subjective my only point in this thread is I installed the front sway and I think it is worth it.
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #13
mog

Quote:
probably because there is not a big enough market for it. I would counter your question, why did honda build it if you did not need it - at least in a performance type ride??

Maybe, also comptech sells to a lot of diy'ers and this one is not really an easy diy.

However, to be honest comptech would have to answer your question. I can only say I am glad I installed the 27mm front sway and I would do it again as I did notice the difference.

finally this subject is not worthy of debate, if you do not want to do it do not do it, if you do then go ahead. all mods are subjective my only point in this thread is I installed the front sway and I think it is worth it.
Yea werd....I like mine...except the fact that my car has been impossible to align every since.
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #14

every lil thing changed on yer car will make a difference in some way or another..
or else why would F1 cars etc. race cars spend so much time on tweaking thier ride to make it handle and go .10 faster than b4..
kwanzor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #15
_

Quote:
that is the whole point for forums and asking questions, to find out things from others. this subject obviously is worthy of debate, hence the thread and responds.

i am looking to do this since (like many others) i am in a quest for a better setup. i have already done the rear tl bar as well. but like some people have said, it is a beeotch to diy, alignment problems, and cost vs. actual gain. some say yes, some say no.

i know it has been said before, but i couldn't find it under search, if anyone knows offhand or knows the link to that thread...

what are the diameters of the auto v6, 6spd, and tl front sway bars?
0430Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #16

The Accord 5AT & 6SPD and the Acura TL 5AT use a 25.4mm hollow bar with a wall thickness of 4.5mm on the front.
The Acura TL 6SPD use a 27.2mm hollow bar with a wall thickness of 5mm on the front.
This works out to about a 55% increase in the stiffeness.
For comparision the Accord V6 5AT & 6SP use a 25.4mm front.
On the rear they are Sedan 13mm
Coupe 14mm
On the Acura TL 5AT front 25.4mm
rear 17mm
On the Acura TL 6spd front 27.2mm
rear 20mm

Tim
never stock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #17

so what is a better setup if u have the comptech rear sways? go with TL 6sp or auto front sway bar?
kwanzor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #18

This is a personal choice, it depends on the rest of your suspension mods or future mods.
For me I would use the 27.2mm TL 6SPD bar with the 22mm on the back. But then I would not set my own street driven car with oversteer or even neutral. The reason is because my loading changes from me only to 5 people with weight in the trunk, also my wife will be getting this car soon.

Tim
never stock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:45 AM   #19
constantly in pursuit

Send a message via AIM to hammer03
how much do TL front sways run? and how hard/what kinda equipment do you need to drop the subframe?
hammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 18th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #20
_

they're like 80 or so....and i think a lift would be ideal to use for this.....
0430Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:56 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0430Steve
they're like 80 or so....and i think a lift would be ideal to use for this.....
I got mine for almost the same price as the rear sway. Around $60 or so.
Askani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in