LOTS of questions about suspension! Need help.... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #1

LOTS of questions about suspension! Need help....

Hi fellow 7th Genners! I've been lurking on here since I got my 6 speed SBP coupe in 2003. Well, I've finnaly come by enough money to do some serious mods this summer. I need some major help with suspension and I have some questions. I've already seached EVERYWHERE and can't find and answers... help please!!

1. What is the difference between shocks and struts?

2. I'm looking at getting Eibach Pro kit and Koni yellow shocks. But Then I saw the Tein SS kit. Does the Tein SS kit come with shocks??

3. Which would be better, tein ss or the eibach and koni's?

4. In relation to question 1, if I get the Tein SS kit could I still get the koni yellow shocks or......????

5. It says you can get the Tein SS with "pillow-ball upper mounts".... I have no clue what these are, but I want to get the best.... could someone explain these to me?

6. I'm also getting 19in. rims, so I assume I'm going to need a camber kit. Do I need front and back? How hard are these thing to install, and are there compatibility issues to worry about?

7. I also read about an addon you can get for the tein ss which is a motor (??) I think that can adjust the ride quality on the fly from inside the car... I can't find any info on this....

8. Basically like I said, I want the best of the best. Money isn't that big an issue any more so reccomendations are welcome!!

Anyways, that it for now! Thanks for the help in advance!:-)
Shaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #2
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
hmm you really are clueless..

heres a crash course.

spring what holds ur car up, shock what goes inside your spring. dampens the spring from bouncing all the time. so think of it this way. the shock is a poler and the spring is like a snake coiled around it.

shocks and struts are the samething

the tein kits are shocks and springs together. so no you cannot get the koni yellows.
the pillowball mounts are to allow you to adjust damping using the EDFC module available from tein. go to www.tein.com and www.tirerack.com to learn more about suspension.

if money aint an issue yeah go get the tein ssp and the edfc and you are set.
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #3
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
I'm thinking that lowering the car affects camber/caster measurements. If you get 19's AND lower your car, you'll probably need camber adjusters.

The best way to find out if you need a camber adjuster is to have your camber and caster measured after you install the wheels/lower your car. There are also a lot of members here with 19's and lowered so they should be able to help out.

If money ain't an issue and you want the best...everyone around here seems to favor the tein ssp. Keep researching and call Tein also.
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 15th, 2005, 07:35 AM   #4

Just wodering, I'm on the Tein website, when you say Tein SS"P" what does the P mean? Does that mean pillow-ball? Also, I'm on the tein website and it says that the edfc wont fit.... has anyone actually done this before or is this just pie in the sky?
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwAce

heres a crash course.

spring what holds ur car up, shock what goes inside your spring. dampens the spring from bouncing all the time. so think of it this way. the shock is a poler and the spring is like a snake coiled around it.

shocks and struts are the samething

the tein kits are shocks and springs together. so no you cannot get the koni yellows.
the pillowball mounts are to allow you to adjust damping using the EDFC module available from tein. go to www.tein.com and www.tirerack.com to learn more about suspension.

if money aint an issue yeah go get the tein ssp and the edfc and you are set.
http://www.tein.com/pumnt.html

im pretty sure the pillowball upper mount is for :
By remaining the positioning design of upper spring and shock absorber close to manufacture's standards, TEIN's pillow ball upper mount keeps height change to the minimum and maintains the stroke center.
The rubber bush is replaced with a pillow ball which eliminates the load input compliance, reduces the change of alignment to improve the grip of the tire.
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #6
YES IM VIETNAMESE!

Send a message via AIM to vt4lifecuf
you should try eibach pro kit with eibach prodamper, both of them made good combination, im getting mine install next few weeks
vt4lifecuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #7

I've read that but dont understand it. The whole point is that I want to LOWER my car. Why would I want to keep height change to a MINIMUM??? I'm sorry I'm so clueless, I've just never dealt with suspension that much before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuzezwild
http://www.tein.com/pumnt.html

im pretty sure the pillowball upper mount is for :
By remaining the positioning design of upper spring and shock absorber close to manufacture's standards, TEIN's pillow ball upper mount keeps height change to the minimum and maintains the stroke center.
The rubber bush is replaced with a pillow ball which eliminates the load input compliance, reduces the change of alignment to improve the grip of the tire.
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #8

no, it's not the overall height change. IIRC, it's the height of the top component. Basically, you want that to be similar, so your suspension geometry stays proper. And the pillowball is stiffer than the original rubber bush.
deuzezwild is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #9

The better question is are you lowering your car for looks or for performance? No use wasting money if you're not going to push your car.

The Teins are your best bet performance wise but also cost the most $$$- but they also give the harshest ride- if you get the electronic adjustment then you can soften it up for daily driving. If you just want looks then get only springs until your stock shocks blow.
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 15th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #10

Nope, I've actually paid off my car fully and am probably keeping it the rest of my life (hah, or till something nicer comes a long!!). Either way, I just want to give her the best of the best, and yes I do want to push her. I really want comptech to come out with that supercharger but now it's looking like I might just custom turbo it. But that's on the bottom of the list right now...., to answer your question though, no, it's not for looks, its to make one badass accord that can stand with the best of em;-)
Old April 15th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #11
ex scientia vera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner
Hi fellow 7th Genners! I've been lurking on here since I got my 6 speed SBP coupe in 2003. Well, I've finnaly come by enough money to do some serious mods this summer. I need some major help with suspension and I have some questions. I've already seached EVERYWHERE and can't find and answers... help please!!

1. What is the difference between shocks and struts?

2. I'm looking at getting Eibach Pro kit and Koni yellow shocks. But Then I saw the Tein SS kit. Does the Tein SS kit come with shocks??

3. Which would be better, tein ss or the eibach and koni's?

4. In relation to question 1, if I get the Tein SS kit could I still get the koni yellow shocks or......????

5. It says you can get the Tein SS with "pillow-ball upper mounts".... I have no clue what these are, but I want to get the best.... could someone explain these to me?

6. I'm also getting 19in. rims, so I assume I'm going to need a camber kit. Do I need front and back? How hard are these thing to install, and are there compatibility issues to worry about?

7. I also read about an addon you can get for the tein ss which is a motor (??) I think that can adjust the ride quality on the fly from inside the car... I can't find any info on this....

8. Basically like I said, I want the best of the best. Money isn't that big an issue any more so reccomendations are welcome!!

Anyways, that it for now! Thanks for the help in advance!:-)
I hear ya Shaner! I knew nothing before I started visiting V6P -- absolutely NOTHING!! So, keep reading up on various posts and you'll be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwAce
Alright now, be nice...

kramer2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in