Just how durable are 19" rims wrapped with 235/35-19 tires? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #1

Just how durable are 19" rims wrapped with 235/35-19 tires?

Any feed back on this one? I had recently gotten new wheels for my 05 Accord six speed coupe...TSX Thruxton's with 235/35-19" Toyo Proxes4. Looks cool and everything, and the handling is a great step above the stock 17" with 215/50-17 Michilan tires. Not to mention that the entire wheel/tire combo is lighter than stock, and i dont feel any losses in acceleration or braking. Anyways, to my question. Just how careful do you have to be when you're rolling with 19s? I nailed a pretty bad pothole tonight by accident, which i thought for sure would have bent the wheels, but to my surprise, the tires absorbed the impact, and the wheels were fine. Are other Accord owners with 19s bending wheels left and right? This is my lowest profile tires on a car i've owned to date. From my experiance, 45 profile tires hold up from potholes quite impressively, even at highway speeds, but these 35s make me more nervous than i'd like. I'm sure you there's a lot of stories from experiance that others could share for me.

Thanks
Jon2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #2
wj4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon2002
Any feed back on this one? I had recently gotten new wheels for my 05 Accord six speed coupe...TSX Thruxton's with 235/35-19" Toyo Proxes4. Looks cool and everything, and the handling is a great step above the stock 17" with 215/50-17 Michilan tires. Not to mention that the entire wheel/tire combo is lighter than stock, and i dont feel any losses in acceleration or braking. Anyways, to my question. Just how careful do you have to be when you're rolling with 19s? I nailed a pretty bad pothole tonight by accident, which i thought for sure would have bent the wheels, but to my surprise, the tires absorbed the impact, and the wheels were fine. Are other Accord owners with 19s bending wheels left and right? This is my lowest profile tires on a car i've owned to date. From my experiance, 45 profile tires hold up from potholes quite impressively, even at highway speeds, but these 35s make me more nervous than i'd like. I'm sure you there's a lot of stories from experiance that others could share for me.

Thanks
just be super careful man. the thinner the tire, the more sensitive the impact on the wheel becomes. also depends on how strong your wheel is also.
wj4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:59 AM   #3
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
it really depends on road condition of where u drive.. 225 imo is too thin.. 235 is good tho..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 17th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #4

35 series tires is thin, go with 40 at least
Igotvtec04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #5

I have 40s on mine and it holds up impressively....I have tenzo mean 6s...dunno how durable tenzos are....but anyone got an idea?
Wht2kAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #6

You cant really go 235/40/19 it will rub to much. I know from experience b/c I rub with my 235/35/19 on a eibach sportline drop. I haven't even seen ppl sell 235/40/19. 40s are ok with 18s but not 19s. I bent my first set of 19s, but thats b/c i hit a pothole going 50 and it was a big pothole. My first set of rims were Exel D46 and they held up pretty good. I have 19" axis TC evos so hopefully these hold up. And speaking from experience do not get 225 on your on 19s get 235 its alot better. 225 are to skinny for most 19" rims and your side wall will colapse in no time. Im speaking from experience b/c my sidewall got torn in less then 6 months so now im at a new set of 19s with a camber kit.
TEK_03AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #7

Comparitivly speaking, is it a lot easier to bend the wheels with 235/35-19s vs say the oem 215/50-17s? I'm just pretty nervous about potholes now, and i'm hoping i didnt make the wrong decision by getting 19s over a set of 18s. I love the look, and handling, but driving seems more of a handful having to now swere hardcore to avoid bumps.
Jon2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon2002
Comparitivly speaking, is it a lot easier to bend the wheels with 235/35-19s vs say the oem 215/50-17s? I'm just pretty nervous about potholes now, and i'm hoping i didnt make the wrong decision by getting 19s over a set of 18s. I love the look, and handling, but driving seems more of a handful having to now swere hardcore to avoid bumps.
Yea i agree with you that you do have to drive a little more careful. You really have to be careful on roads you never been on too. I mean yea it wont hold up as good as thicker tires, but its still pretty strong.
TEK_03AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:06 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to DeezNutz972
235/35/19 is perfect, i have bent rims in the past but thats cuz i didnt see a HUGE pothole other than that they are great (looks wise)
u WILL lose performance Especially off the line
DeezNutz972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in