Koni owners serious tech ? on perch settings - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2005, 02:40 PM   #1

Koni owners serious tech ? on perch settings

Heya everyone, curious to know if anyone has heard this before and if so is it going to be a big issue or not. I read a post stating that supposedly Koni says not to use the lower perch when installing your new springs and shock. Has anyone had any contact or heard this before. I've had no luck finding any info from Koni on it. If the lower perch is used what could possibly be the issue? I don't understand why they would be sold as height adjustable and then supposedly say not to use the lower perch, also the Nuespeed / Koni setup has 5 perch settings supposedly and if we buy the Koni we only get three, this really makes little to no sense to me. Any input and help would be great, seeing as the guy who installed my Koni's w/H&R sport springs decided to take it upon himself and set mine on the lower perch. Which on the other hand makes the car look better IMO seeing as it sit about a 1/2 lower. Peace
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #2

lower perch is there for to be used with stock springs, and if you're combing these shocks with lowering spring you should use upper perch. if you use lower perch with lowering spring you might cause bottoming out and evantualy shock will fail.
HONDA_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 18th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #3

So more or less I'm just risking it then, but as long as it would not bottom out it shouldn't be a problem, from what you are saying. Because that would kinda suck, the drop would not be what I want if that were the case and I had to use the upper perch.

Old April 19th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #4

Denfently a big issue...anyone else know anything about it................................
Deepa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #5

What garbage can't even get a straight answer from Koni. All there reply says is the shocks are designed for OEM springs, we have no idea how any other spring will work or function with the shock, and the perch settings are for stock springs.
Old April 19th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #6
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
i think as long as we have a million mile warranty from koni, we should be good using the lower perch. i think the koni website also reads designed for use with lowering springs..soo umm yeah...
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2005, 02:28 PM   #7

..................anyone.......................?
Old April 19th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #8

i guess just keep on using them on the lower prech and if they do go out take advantage of the million mile waranty cause they dont have any way of konwing what kind of springs you used them with.
Old April 19th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #9

That is the plan for me at least. I'm not going to worry about it I guess that's why we have 1mm warranty, and your right they'll never know what we had sitting on them or where they were set. I'll just at least keep an eye out for these ungodly pot holes we have in IL once in a while.
As a side note what doesn't add up to me is the idea of the Nuespeed/ Koni setup that is designed for use with lower springs according to Nuespeeds site. I'll bet that Nuespeed helped in the design of the shock for Koni to work on our rides and to work with lowering spring, and Koni just can't come out and say it because of the deal they made with Nuespeed. Makes no sense, and your not going to convince me that Koni is making a special shock for Nuespeed and then turn around and have Nuespeed selling them for the same price we can buy a regular Koni shock for. And even at that the Nuespeed/Koni shock has 5 perch setting not 3 like you get if you order them from anyother web site. Lastly Nuespeed springs lower our rides more then most of the other springs out.
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to azn8pie
Yea...don't worry about it. I have the neuspeed spec koni 5 adj. yellow shocks set on the lowest perch with neuspeed race springs around it. The drop is perfect and the rice is great. I've been rollin' like this for 6 months now...and the drop is still the same. If the konis F*** up....then time for teins
azn8pie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn8pie
Yea...don't worry about it. I have the neuspeed spec koni 5 adj. yellow shocks set on the lowest perch with neuspeed race springs around it. The drop is perfect and the rice is great. I've been rollin' like this for 6 months now...and the drop is still the same. If the konis F*** up....then time for teins
do you have more pics of your car than just the one in the gallery? it looks real good man!
Raddy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn8pie
LOL... I decide the exact same thing last night. If the Koni's go, time to move to Tein. And better yet if they go try to get them replace under there 1mm warranty then we'd have brand new set to put up 4sale. But thx for the info, glad to here no problems having your set like that also. Peace
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddy21
do you have more pics of your car than just the one in the gallery? it looks real good man!
that he does, go the the coupe picture thread, if I recall correctly they are on page 19 or 20.
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #14

Time to upgrade to tien? first you spend 600 on koni plus install let em blow or what not and be ok with it? and go to tien for anthor good 1000 plus install, id make SURE i get my warranty from koni before id do that.
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepa
Time to upgrade to tien? first you spend 600 on koni plus install let em blow or what not and be ok with it? and go to tien for anthor good 1000 plus install, id make SURE i get my warranty from koni before id do that.
Just remember, some people don't like money and will spend it as fast as they can!
Captal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 20th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #16

It's not about the money It's the idea of if, and only if they blew, the issue would need to be resolved, trust me I'm not out to spend $ that doesn't need to be spent, but I also don't live pay check to pay check. I'd much rather be able to put the cash toward another mod. That is why I said it like I did, I wouldn't want to have to do it again with the Koni knowing in the long run I could end up with the same issue, plus I'd still have to have the new Koni or Koni's installed anyways so what would the difference be, and it wouldn't be a 1000, more like 7 bills + $150 to install if I didn't do it myself. I just don't see the need for the TEIN-ss, specially if I'm having to redo the suspension. I like the look I have so I wouldn't have any thing less, and I'm not willing to take it back in and have them moved it wouldn't look like it does and I wouldn't be happy with it then. Money is money not a big issue we've all put enough money in our rides as it is, wouldn't you want it to be done right, and not have to worry about it again. If I would have known in the first place this could be an issue I wouldn't have went this route, not saying I'm not happy with what I have, I just would have went with the TEIN's the first time around, but I guess like they say live and learn the hard way. Hopefully in the case I won't have to learn the hard way. Work another day make another dollar it's all good, I can't take it with me, might as well enjoy it. Peace
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #17

nicely put.
Hey sweet03accord i ordered my wheels today.
Axis Crux 19x8 black ill post some pics once i get em installed, next i wanna do the konis and yeah im gonna use them at the lower perech.
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:01 PM   #18
Formerly VTEC-v6!

I hope you all realize, that they can tell the difference between a shock that fails from improper install/bottoming out and one that fails from wear and tear
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 21st, 2005, 05:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepa
nicely put.
Hey sweet03accord i ordered my wheels today.
Axis Crux 19x8 black ill post some pics once i get em installed, next i wanna do the konis and yeah im gonna use them at the lower perech.
Sweet I'll be definitely interested in seeing how yours turns out once you get everything and have it installed.
Old April 21st, 2005, 05:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC-v6!
I hope you all realize, that they can tell the difference between a shock that fails from improper install/bottoming out and one that fails from wear and tear
Your absolutely correct but it's worth the time to try if it happens. The issue that I have with it is the fact that it was installed correctly, it's the fact they say nowhere in there garbage instructions that came with the shocks or on there web site to not set them this way with lowering springs. If it is the case they need to state that so people don't run into a problem, and then have people getting pissed and talking down Koni because of what could possiblly happen. Plus before I purchased them I sent Koni and e-mail specifically asking about my setup and where I wanted to set them and they said there we be no problems and to set my damper at 1/2/ to 3/4 of a turn with the H&R springs I have. To confuse matter worse the Koni's that Nuespeed sells are made to work with lowering springs with 5 perch settings, so when people read here that putting there race springs on the Koni's from there site which supposedly are different (beside the 5 perch settings) they are going to think that if they just buy a set of Koni's there fine when in all actuality they may not be. That's the isuue I have. Time is going to tell not to worried about it at this point, what's done is done and we go from there, just hoping is doesn't become an issue. Peace
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:37 AM   #21
indoctidiscant

Use the perch setting that the clip was installed on when shipped.
Re-use the bumpstop from the original shock. It will slide over the new
rods with a little effort.
Thanks,
Bob Noack

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2005 11:56 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Koni Web Site Contact

name : Owais
address : Holyoke ma 01040
phone :
fax :
Comments : Do the Koni Yellows for the 03-04 accord come with 3 perches?
If so what perch do you recommend placing the lowering springs on? I
plan on using Htech Springs which drop the front 1.4 inches. Should i
also reuse the bump stop from my original setup? if not, should i
purchase bumpstops seperately? How do i install the bumpstop on the koni
shocks?
Old April 21st, 2005, 12:05 PM   #22

LOL, you asked just about the same question I did originally except that I've got the H&R's and was told something completely different, except the part about the stops. I wish I still had the original e-mail but it was a while back. It's the same guy who responded to me also. No clue, why a different tune. Oh well, time will tell I guess, not to worried about at the moment. I do know this, I talked to the guy yesterday who installed the springs, and I think I figured out why he put mine on the lower perch. He stated that when he was uncompressing the springs after there assembly the clip the shock are set at would want to keep popping out. So he moved it down a notch and no problem. Wonder if that has to due with the fact the H&R's are stiffer the the _-techs. Just a thought.
Old April 21st, 2005, 12:22 PM   #23
indoctidiscant

Noack, Bob - KONI to me
Hide options 1:48 pm (38 minutes ago)

To: "S. Owais Ahmad" <[email protected]>
Date: Apr 21, 2005 1:48 PM
Subject: RE: Koni Web Site Contact
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to Contacts list | Trash this message | Report phishing | Show original

The three different perches are designed and tested with factory spring
and works properly at all positions. We have not tested the multiple
locations on our shocks with the htech springs nor has htech springs
tested there product in multiple locations as I am aware of. I suspect
that Nuespeed has tested there springs in the multiple locations on
there custom built shocks.
The results of using untested combinations is unknown but could cause
damage to the shock or your car.
Thanks,

btw you got pics of your car? sorry if this has already been asked. are you the silver coupe?

Last edited by OwAce; April 21st, 2005 at 12:27 PM..
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:44 PM   #24

What is the difference on the lower perch and the upper perch ?
Nsaladino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 21st, 2005, 01:53 PM   #25

Nsaladino, Thanks for paying for the konis!!! we just have one more to go!

Last edited by Raddy21; April 21st, 2005 at 02:02 PM..
Raddy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 21st, 2005, 02:06 PM   #26
Formerly VTEC-v6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet03accord
Your absolutely correct but it's worth the time to try if it happens. The issue that I have with it is the fact that it was installed correctly, it's the fact they say nowhere in there garbage instructions that came with the shocks or on there web site to not set them this way with lowering springs.
Did it say not to use the lowest perch? It did didn't it...
N54TT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC-v6!
Did it say not to use the lowest perch? It did didn't it...
It did not say it on the 1 page garbage instruction I got. All that was in my box was this skinny white pc of paper that didn't say squat on it. Just a few pics.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsaladino
What is the difference on the lower perch and the upper perch ?
The shocks come with the clip set in the middle section. The other 2 perchs are raising the car approx another 1/2" from where it was set or lowering it another 1/2" approx.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwAce

btw you got pics of your car? sorry if this has already been asked. are you the silver coupe?
Yes that would be mine I think, there are a few silver ones around. The couple of pics I took right after I got the Koni's installed the car was dirty as hell, but was suppose to rain the next few days so I posted some just for the heck of it. There was someone wanting to see how it turned out, he was thinking of going with the same setup. Here is the link to it a cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/id/sweet03accord , for reference the top two pics are from last year with the H&R's on the stock shock, still wasn't the way I wanted it the gap was still to much, bottom 2 are just a few weeks back with them on the new Koni's. Personally it worked out just the way I wanted, couldn't be happier with the new shocks set a bit lower with the H&R's. Hopefully in the long run everything is fine and I won't end up with any issues but time will tell.

Side note, I like how Bob from Koni states Nuespeeds custom built shocks, I'll guess they helped Koni in the design for our ride, to be able them to pitch them for use with lowering springs seeing as that is what Nuespeed sells. Find that hard to believe if they were custom for Nuespeed springs you would think the price would be more. Nuespeed isn't buying in qty's to be able to sell them for what you can buy Koni's from anyone else. There price isn't that far off what you can pick Koni's up for from other places. Peace
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:33 PM   #30

so everyone want to put them on the lower perch so you get an additional 1/2 inch drop. what about the upper perch to get a 1/2 raise is it just as stupid to try to do that as it would be to put it on the lower perch?? My car scrapes as it is right now and I want to add the AERO kit so I was thinking baout putting them on the upper perch to raise it 1/2 inch and want to know it that is not good for the shocks.
Nsaladino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in