HELP, suspension problem , need some input plz - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #1
Registered User
 
sweet03accord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 211
HELP, suspension problem , need some input plz

Heya everyone, need some of your folks input. I just got back in town after being gone for about a week. The car has been sitting in the garage and hasn't moved, until this am. I haven't had a chance to measure it but I swear it looks to me like the driver side of the car is sitting lower then the passenger side, only in the front. Not by much, like 3/16 of an inch maybe at most. I've got the Koni yellows, along with H&R sport springs. Any ideas what could be the issue or what I should look at closely. I ducked my head underneath this am and don't see anything wrong but it makes no sense what could be the problem, seeing as the car hasn't been driven. It drives fine, no weird noises or anything. I'm at a loss what could be wrong. Any input or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #2
The Anti-Virus
 
smithz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In front of you
Posts: 729
Send a message via Yahoo to smithz
Measure it... optical illusions will kick your ass. Then if there really is a problem, worry about it.
__________________
"Surrounded by evil, low on gas" - Army of Darkness (also applies to rush hour traffic)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"People in glass houses sink ships! F#@K!! A#S!!" - Wise Bartender in Boondock Saints


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
smithz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #3
Registered User
 
sweet03accord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 211
I know it is off somewhat due to the fact that I've got a one finger gap on the driver side and the passaneger side is one plus a little slop. It's a tight squeez on the driver side for even one finger.
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:36 PM   #4
Registered User
 
TorontoV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 88
Send a message via Yahoo to TorontoV6
Flat Tire?

TorontoV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #5
constantly in pursuit
 
hammer03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 4,250
Send a message via AIM to hammer03
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoV6
Flat Tire?



or maybe the surface it was on wasnt perfectly level?
hammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #6
The Anti-Virus
 
smithz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In front of you
Posts: 729
Send a message via Yahoo to smithz
Are you 100% positive they started out even? Or was it like that before and you just noticed it when you came back?
smithz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #7
Registered User
 
sweet03accord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithz
Are you 100% positive they started out even? Or was it like that before and you just noticed it when you came back?
I am 100% sure they were even. I took like 8 different measurement from different places around the car just so I knew everything was right, once everything had been installed. The Koni's have only been on for like 4 weeks, but the spring are from last year they were on the stock shocks originally but they blew out twice so after getting them replace under warranty I figured it was time to make the upgrade. I just went out and measured from level ground the distance from the ground to the bottom of my front clip on both sides and there is a difference of 5/32 to 3/16 of an inch.
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #8
The Anti-Virus
 
smithz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In front of you
Posts: 729
Send a message via Yahoo to smithz
You sure noone else has keys to it? jk I'm not exactly sure what could cause that to happen in that short a period of time. Spring don't settle that fast... especially not on just one side.
smithz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:35 PM   #9
constantly in pursuit
 
hammer03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 4,250
Send a message via AIM to hammer03
how much do you weigh? or is there something in the car only on one side? maybe the driver weight caused it to wear a little lower? maybe try having someone sit in it and then measure?
hammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #10
mog
Registered User
 
mog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet03accord
Heya everyone, need some of your folks input. I just got back in town after being gone for about a week. The car has been sitting in the garage and hasn't moved, until this am. I haven't had a chance to measure it but I swear it looks to me like the driver side of the car is sitting lower then the passenger side, only in the front. Not by much, like 3/16 of an inch maybe at most. I've got the Koni yellows, along with H&R sport springs. Any ideas what could be the issue or what I should look at closely. I ducked my head underneath this am and don't see anything wrong but it makes no sense what could be the problem, seeing as the car hasn't been driven. It drives fine, no weird noises or anything. I'm at a loss what could be wrong. Any input or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
I have the EXACT same problem. I didnt measure to precision but my driver side front 1/4" lower. I have weird alignment problems though. Do you have any issues with your steering not being centered or ur car pulling to a side?
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #11
Registered User
 
sweet03accord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mog
I have the EXACT same problem. I didnt measure to precision but my driver side front 1/4" lower. I have weird alignment problems though. Do you have any issues with your steering not being centered or ur car pulling to a side?
I don't have any problem with the alignment, I just had it done about 3 weeks ago after putting the rear camber kit on, and everything is good on that. Car runs staight as can be. I thought it was about a 1/4" this am myself, but once I measured it its more like 3/16. Like I mentioned it's only on the front driver side too, crazy. No clue, has me a bit concerned seeing as everything is new and the last thing I need is issues down the road. That is why I got rid of the stock shox.




Mog; what shox and springs do you have?
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #12
Registered User
 
sweet03accord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithz
You sure noone else has keys to it? jk I'm not exactly sure what could cause that to happen in that short a period of time. Spring don't settle that fast... especially not on just one side.

I know and even at that the springs are a year old can't imagine they would settle more just because I got the new Koni's installed. And no I've got the only keys , I don't dare let anyone drive my car , everyone worries to much because of how low it is and they don't want to scrape anything.
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #13
Registered User
 
sweet03accord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer03
how much do you weigh? or is there something in the car only on one side? maybe the driver weight caused it to wear a little lower? maybe try having someone sit in it and then measure?

A measely 160#'s , don't think my thin **s is causing the problem, and there is nothing in the car. I actually took everything out, spare tire and all was trying to narrow down a few rattles that were driving me nutty.
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:03 PM   #14
mog
Registered User
 
mog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet03accord
I don't have any problem with the alignment, I just had it done about 3 weeks ago after putting the rear camber kit on, and everything is good on that. Car runs staight as can be. I thought it was about a 1/4" this am myself, but once I measured it its more like 3/16. Like I mentioned it's only on the front driver side too, crazy. No clue, has me a bit concerned seeing as everything is new and the last thing I need is issues down the road. That is why I got rid of the stock shox.




Mog; what shox and springs do you have?
I have the HFP kit. One of my theories is the camber is pushing the car to one side. But that's just a theory....
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Deepa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 748
could be camber if thats possible.......find out sweet03accord, because now your scaring me i got the same setup minus konis which im considering buying after i get my wheels put on.
Deepa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #16
constantly in pursuit
 
hammer03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 4,250
Send a message via AIM to hammer03
maybe put the spare back in the car? and the jack and other stuff that was in there when they aligned it? Man, i wanna know how you're eye noticed 3/16ths of an inch. thats like an inperfection in the road. I couldnt see it. maybe try moving the car somewhere else and measuring again?
hammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 4th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #17
14.58 =Quickest Gen7 auto
 
03LXV6Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Jax
Posts: 3,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by mog
I have weird alignment problems though. Do you have any issues with your steering not being centered or ur car pulling to a side?
Have you had the front subframe adjustment (per the TSB)?
03LXV6Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 5th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #18
mog
Registered User
 
mog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6Guy
Have you had the front subframe adjustment (per the TSB)?
Yes, I had my subframe toyed with back and forth and back and forth after I installed my front sway bar and noticed the alignment problem. But frankly I think the camber might have been ok and the initial misalignment was due to toe change. So my messing with the subframe screwed things up to the point it is now...unfixable pretty much... I'm getting pretty used to driving with a crooked steering now. It does suck that there is some steering bias, the wheels turns easier to right then to left....hate tat.
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:14 AM   #19
Registered User
 
sweet03accord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer03
maybe put the spare back in the car? and the jack and other stuff that was in there when they aligned it? Man, i wanna know how you're eye noticed 3/16ths of an inch. thats like an inperfection in the road. I couldnt see it. maybe try moving the car somewhere else and measuring again?

LOL, because I work in a machine shop and work with thousandths of an inch everyday. I think my eyes are just trained now, I can see things within 10 thousandths of an inch without measuring it. Trust me sometimes it sux because I get a bit to piccky at times.
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 6th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #20
Registered User
 
sweet03accord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepa
could be camber if thats possible.......find out sweet03accord, because now your scaring me i got the same setup minus konis which im considering buying after i get my wheels put on.
I'm working on it, and I hear ya bud. It's actually got me a bit ticked off. This dam suspension garbage if just to frustrating. I'm taking in to my buddy over the weekend to have it looked at and see if he can find anyhting wrong. I was under the hood and the car yesterday and everything loks fine. No clue as of yet. As far as the camber goes it's dead nuts to factory specs. I'll keep you posted the if I find anyhting one way or the other
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:42 AM   #21
mog
Registered User
 
mog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet03accord
I'm working on it, and I hear ya bud. It's actually got me a bit ticked off. This dam suspension garbage if just to frustrating. I'm taking in to my buddy over the weekend to have it looked at and see if he can find anyhting wrong. I was under the hood and the car yesterday and everything loks fine. No clue as of yet. As far as the camber goes it's dead nuts to factory specs. I'll keep you posted the if I find anyhting one way or the other

Let me know what you find out
mog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #22
Registered User
 
Deepa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 748
......yeah keep us posted...hey sweet03accord i finally got my wheels put on
Deepa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #23
Registered User
 
jcygts6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fremont, CA / Davis, ca
Posts: 1,003
Send a message via AIM to jcygts6
yea same problem here. I'm on pro-kits and KYB GR2s. THe Driver side of the car is lower than the passenger side. Lower enough that you can feel the car is slanted to the left side if you pay attention closely.
jcygts6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #24
indoctidiscant
 
OwAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,790
Send a message via AIM to OwAce
you think one spring settled lower than the other?
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #25
Registered User
 
sweet03accord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepa
......yeah keep us posted...hey sweet03accord i finally got my wheels put on
Sweet, you going to post some pics soon? I'd like to see what it looks like.
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:44 AM   #26
Registered User
 
sweet03accord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 211
Well I took it in over the weekend and had it check out. Everything loks fine and there doesn't seem to be and problems driving it. Went to the toolway hit well over a 100 mph and nothing felt funky doind that either. His only thought in my case is the spring settle a little more then the other side for some unknown reason. It is off by just under 3/16 of an inch. Altho he laugh because he couldn't even see the difference, maybe I'm just a bit to picky and it doesn't help that I notice stuff like this. So unless anyone else comes up with an thought or suggestion I don't know what to say at this point.
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:01 AM   #27
Registered User
 
jcygts6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fremont, CA / Davis, ca
Posts: 1,003
Send a message via AIM to jcygts6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet03accord
Well I took it in over the weekend and had it check out. Everything loks fine and there doesn't seem to be and problems driving it. Went to the toolway hit well over a 100 mph and nothing felt funky doind that either. His only thought in my case is the spring settle a little more then the other side for some unknown reason. It is off by just under 3/16 of an inch. Altho he laugh because he couldn't even see the difference, maybe I'm just a bit to picky and it doesn't help that I notice stuff like this. So unless anyone else comes up with an thought or suggestion I don't know what to say at this point.
Don't worry about it, you just need to get used to it. I know it is very annoying especially if u have a good eye. THis same thing is happening to me. THe drivers side of the car is lower than the passenger side. Obviously the springs settled lower or sagged on the drivers side. I'm using Eibach Pro-kits too. So it really puzzles me.
jcygts6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #28
Registered User
 
truckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Laurel MD
Posts: 242
What would happen if you changed what spring perch you used on the koni yellow on one side? Might unbalance it normally but if you have one spring slightly shorter then maybe changing the perch would correct it. This could be a really bad idea too, get some expert advice before attempting.

Another solution is to go to a big meet with your keen eyes, find someone else with the same problem, then trade a spring with them


Have you tried a 4 wheel scale?
truckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:20 PM   #29
Registered User
 
sweet03accord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 211
First off moving it up a perch will raise it over a half inch then it would be leaning the other way. Plus I don't think that would work to well like you said, I can't imagine it would be to good for the shox either. I've decided it is staying the way it is, it's only off by a minor amount and I really don't want to put more money into seeing as it probally wouldn't fix it completely anyways, and from the posts it doesn't sound like I'm the only one with the trouble, and it doesn't seem to be causing a problem.

What would a 4 wheel scale do to help in this issue? Just curious. Peace
sweet03accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #30
Registered User
 
truckin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Laurel MD
Posts: 242
Sorry, I thought the Koni perches were 1/4" each

I am in no way a suspension or spring expert, but this is my thinking of your problem.
If I am totally wrong, someone please correct me.

4-wheel scale:

If there is normally more weight on the left front than the right front and the front springs were identical, then the left side would be lower. If the springs have small differences, you would want the one that has a slightly higher spring rate on the left side to keep the car even. If you have the spring with the slightly higher spring rate on the right side, then the right side would be up a little higher than the left. Perhaps swapping the front left and right springs would help balance it out. If you are a DIY person then it might be worth a try.
truckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On