Spring install advice. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:07 PM   #1
the tooth

Spring install advice.

I am in the dilemma of installing my own springs or taking it to a shop. I am mostly set on installing myself but i have a few questions.

I know the general procedure to installing the springs, but are there any tricks or any special easy mistakes i should look out for? i heard once that there is a specific way to sit the springs on the shock, and if done wrong, i'll have to dismantle the entire assembly and start over or somewhere in that neighborhood. If anyone can just provide me with a general or even a detailed procedure, i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

-Tim-
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 18th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #2
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy
I am in the dilemma of installing my own springs or taking it to a shop. I am mostly set on installing myself but i have a few questions.

I know the general procedure to installing the springs, but are there any tricks or any special easy mistakes i should look out for? i heard once that there is a specific way to sit the springs on the shock, and if done wrong, i'll have to dismantle the entire assembly and start over or somewhere in that neighborhood. If anyone can just provide me with a general or even a detailed procedure, i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

-Tim-
Get a can of WD40, it'll come in handy at removing some of the bolts.

Easy way to take off this spring without the spring compressort is this.....
Set your tires on the curbe, aim the pillowmount towards your tire that's sitting on the curb. Loosen it, and it will spring onto your tire and not in your face or anyone else's car.

There is really only 1 way the springs are gonna set, so you can't really mess that up..

Don't forget to cut your bumpstop.

Have someone help you, it'll save you a lot of time and headache. Doesn't matter if that person knows waht they're doing or not. Having another set of hands will help.

Last hint, look at your suspension setup before starting anything, look at everything so you don't uninstall unnecessary bolts. It's pretty self explanatory once you start looking at it.
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:32 PM   #3
the tooth

Thanks for your help dude. How much of the bumpstop do i cut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8
Get a can of WD40, it'll come in handy at removing some of the bolts.

Easy way to take off this spring without the spring compressort is this.....
Set your tires on the curbe, aim the pillowmount towards your tire that's sitting on the curb. Loosen it, and it will spring onto your tire and not in your face or anyone else's car.

There is really only 1 way the springs are gonna set, so you can't really mess that up..

Don't forget to cut your bumpstop.

Have someone help you, it'll save you a lot of time and headache. Doesn't matter if that person knows waht they're doing or not. Having another set of hands will help.

Last hint, look at your suspension setup before starting anything, look at everything so you don't uninstall unnecessary bolts. It's pretty self explanatory once you start looking at it.
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old May 18th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to jadedx2
I would definitely suggest using spring compressors. They are pretty cheap. If you do not want to buy them I'm sure you can rent them out from somewhere (i.e. Autozone, PepBoys, etc. ) As far as how much of the bumpstop to cut off, with my TEIN H.Tech's this was specified in the installation guide. If I remember correctly I only had to cut the front 1/2" maybe, and leave the rear the same. This is dependent on how extreme your drop is. Other than that take your time, follow directions if you are not certain, and use a torque wrench to tighten to spec. Those numbers are there for a reason Good luck
jadedx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #5
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedx2
I would definitely suggest using spring compressors. They are pretty cheap. If you do not want to buy them I'm sure you can rent them out from somewhere (i.e. Autozone, PepBoys, etc. ) As far as how much of the bumpstop to cut off, with my TEIN H.Tech's this was specified in the installation guide. If I remember correctly I only had to cut the front 1/2" maybe, and leave the rear the same. This is dependent on how extreme your drop is. Other than that take your time, follow directions if you are not certain, and use a torque wrench to tighten to spec. Those numbers are there for a reason Good luck
Oh don't get me wrong, spring compressor is def necessary if you're not doing a coilover setup. It's just that you don't need it for taking off ur spring

for bumpstop I usually just cut off 1.5-2 inches, and it really hasn't caused me too many headaches. But i hope someone else can assure me on that
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #6
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
You'll need to get an alignment after the install too.

I admire folks who can DIY. I wish I was mechanically inclined but I guess my dad didn't pass those DNA's to me (he was a badazz mechanic back in the day).

Timmy...if you got the cash my recommendation is to take it to a pro and have him do the install. They have all the equipment and you can kick back and read the sports page while they do the install. But if you're good with DIY...then go for it.
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2005, 01:57 AM   #7
constantly in pursuit

Send a message via AIM to hammer03
I think you should DIY, especially if you can access the tools, and have a day to burn. I'd like to say im decent with tools and working on stuff, but i had had NO experience working on cars, and with a friends help, we did the front of my car in about 3 hours, and the next day i did the rear by myself in about 4 hours. Once you see what to do, its really not that hard. I didnt have to cut the bumpstops, as i was installing the Tein Basics, but that shouldnt be too hard. If you can find someone who's done it before, you're golden, have them help you. But i was really glad i finally got to work on my car, without just shelling out the cash to pay for it. plus, i saved a TON of money....

Ps, i think Autozone will let you borrow a spring compressor for free, you give them a deposit, and get it back when you bring the compressor back. them or autozone, one of the two.
hammer03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:08 AM   #8
Master Technician

Send a message via AIM to Ei-ccord
Make sure you mark the top-hat in relation to the shock body. This is called "INDEXING" the spring. If you just blow it apart, then you put the top-hat back on, the little 'tang' on the front shock won't line-up correctly when you have the top bolt seated in their home.

Just use a paint pen and mark the top-hat in any spot, then draw an imaginary line all the way the spring and mark the SHOCK in the same spot. then when you put the new spring in, you just line the marks on the top-hat, and the shock body and you are set.

Another word of advice, DO NOT BLOW THE SHOCK ASSEMBLY APART!!! DV8, you probably have seen it done and have had experienced people with you when you did this, but for someone doing it for the first time, it is EXTREMELY unsafe. The front spring have TONS of preload, and explode with some pretty dam good force.

Hit me on PM if you need any further help.

PS- for a first timer, this should take between 4-5 hours. If you have someone that has done it before, then 2-3. For you guys that think you are good... heheheh... I can do a Pro-Kit install on stock shocks in an hour... and that is when I am hung over (like always).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5595 Daniels St. Unit A
Chino, CA 91710

Your one stop shop.
Customs audio, Alarm, Tint, Performance Upgrades, Body Kits, Paint, Suspension, and anything else you can think of!
Ei-ccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:14 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to NightShift
did it myself here too...yeh those springs have a lot of compression before you take them apart...i was afraid of things flying apart.

And listen to Ei-ccord about the markings before you take the spring/shock apart - learned that the hard way when things didnt line up on reinstall and had to take it apart again.
NightShift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in