When upgrading rim size ... ? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #1

When upgrading rim size ... ?

Hey --

When you go from 16inch wheels to say 18's or 19's...

Do you NEED to get like a whole suspension kit? Like cambers (dont konw what they are, just heard the word being tossed around here), shocks, and springs?

Or can you just lower the car? And by lowering just get springs that drop the car a certain height?

Im curious cuz if you need to get a whole suspension kit and everything, than getting rims is not a cheap mod at all..

I mean prices of rims and tires are expensive in itself still, but than adding the price of a whole suspension setup and etc, is a bit much..

Just curious..

thx
habibnazir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2005, 11:42 AM   #2

no you dont need suspension components, ppl just cant stand the look of a nice set of wheels on a stock height car (a 4x4). you can just get springs to lower the car as much as you want, but your stock shocks wont be on par with the new spring height (Tein H-tech springs seems to work with stock, not much of a drop, however, when going lower, the shocks will die much faster). Also with lowering springs, your camber will be off, wheels will tilt and you'll have uneven tire wear. Theres a lot of info on this topic if you're willing to do the research.
03pcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #3

yeh i can admit i got lazy and didnt do a search on this question before posting...

so basically just getting rims and lowering the car with springs is setting up for more future maintence expednture, ie, shocks and cambers

Old June 14th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by habibnazir
yeh i can admit i got lazy and didnt do a search on this question before posting...

so basically just getting rims and lowering the car with springs is setting up for more future maintence expednture, ie, shocks and cambers
Please do the research. The answer to your question is, "it depends."

If you want to get rims and lower the car as simple as possible, you can go with your wheel/tire choice and h-techs. While the H-tech drop is not as aggressive as others, it's not too bad. Also, the spring rate on the h-techs are similar to stock, so stock dampers match well with them. Also, stock ride quality won't be compromised with h-techs.

Rear camber kit is your call. If you want to replace tires every year, then don't get the rear camber kit.

Here are a couple pics of an h-tech drop:

Last edited by dme330i; June 14th, 2005 at 12:28 PM..
dme330i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #5

do you have rear camber kit installed?
if you do have a camber kit what brand?
how much do camber kits usually run?

what size rim is that?
how much is the car dropped in the front?
how much is the car dropped in the rear?
how much is the htech springs usually run?

to confirm you didn't not buy new shocks with your springs?

finally is this a DIY or is it best to have a mechanic install camber kit and htech springs?

thanks boss
Old June 14th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #6
User #4002

Send a message via ICQ to wildpikachu Send a message via AIM to wildpikachu Send a message via MSN to wildpikachu Send a message via Yahoo to wildpikachu
you in the tri-state area? is this your everyday car?

Do you have any idea running 19" or 18" low profile in the tristate area,
especially during pot hole season? do the research

First thing, do the research yourself, then ask the question.
- just don't follow what everyone says.

just don't spill out terms and not know what they are.
If you don't know find out.

Quote:
do you have rear camber kit installed?
how much do camber kits usually run?

what size rim is that?
how much is the car dropped in the front?
how much is the car dropped in the rear?
how much is the htech springs usually run?

to confirm you didn't not buy new shocks with your springs?

finally is this a DIY or is it best to have a mechanic install camber kit and htech springs?

thanks boss
wildpikachu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #7

yeh well i dont know anything so im asking the people who do for the answers

oh and ive had 17's on is300 and had to replace the tires due to bubbles from pot holes and stock 18's on another car for a while..

but when it comes to upping the size from 16 to 17 with aftermarket equipment idind't know there were was so many other thigns that needed to be cahnged like shocks and camber kit.. so that's why im asking

everyone tells everyone to sarch, even i do it, but sometimes its very tedious task to read through all the posts to find answers sometimes..heck it takes a little while getting used to navigating around these forums and then reading through alll the threads to find out things sometimes

ive been home sick since saturday (hence the post-whoring) but i still haven't found answers to some things so that's why i just resorted to posting a thread!

anyways thanks for the help, ill take it from here on my own

hopefully my next thread in this section will be pics of my new sneakers supporting equipment for it (shocks, springs, and cambers...if i determine i need them)

peace!

Last edited by habibnazir; June 14th, 2005 at 02:50 PM..
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #8

Hey if your instered im selling my H&R springs you wont need aftermarket shocks or a camber kit with them 1.5front 1.3rear is the drop you will get from them, they were used for 3500 miles only and are pertty much brand new i bought them for $275 and am selling them for $150 or best offer, let me know they look good with either 18z or 19z.
Deepa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #9
User #4002

Send a message via ICQ to wildpikachu Send a message via AIM to wildpikachu Send a message via MSN to wildpikachu Send a message via Yahoo to wildpikachu
Quote:
yeh well i dont know anything so im asking the people who do for the answers

oh and ive had 17's on is300 and had to replace the tires due to bubbles from pot holes and stock 18's on another car for a while..

but when it comes to upping the size from 16 to 17 with aftermarket equipment idind't know there were was so many other thigns that needed to be cahnged like shocks and camber kit.. so that's why im asking

everyone tells everyone to sarch, even i do it, but sometimes its very tedious task to read through all the posts to find answers sometimes..heck it takes a little while getting used to navigating around these forums and then reading through alll the threads to find out things sometimes

ive been home sick since saturday (hence the post-whoring) but i still haven't found answers to some things so that's why i just resorted to posting a thread!

anyways thanks for the help, ill take it from here on my own

hopefully my next thread in this section will be pics of my new sneakers supporting equipment for it (shocks, springs, and cambers...if i determine i need them)

peace!
you can increase your size of the rims, here what happens

(new tires + new rims)
it will look like your running 4x4. (assume stock shock + stock springs)

if you don't want to look like 4x4 you need to lower the car. You get new springs to lower it.

if the springs are too stiff.. the stock shocks might blow, your going to need aftermarket shocks.

or go with coilovers - and don't worry about matching springs and shocks.

either way you need to get alignment just to lower the car

if you lower the car say 1.5inch or lower your going to need a camber kit just to fix the alignment.

after that you need to worry about the usually pot holes + bottoming out.

oh btw: you need to worry about offset of the rim so you don't have rubbing.

what else.. *think* just off the top of my head.

when you go bigger rims, you want to keep same the overall diameter of the tire the same, keeping odometer and speedometer changes negligible. Therefore the tire will have a lower profile. The lower the profile the less protection you get when you hit a pot hole thus possible damage the rims.

Last edited by wildpikachu; June 14th, 2005 at 05:02 PM..
Old June 14th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepa
Hey if your instered im selling my H&R springs you wont need aftermarket shocks or a camber kit with them 1.5front 1.3rear is the drop you will get from them, they were used for 3500 miles only and are pertty much brand new i bought them for $275 and am selling them for $150 or best offer, let me know they look good with either 18z or 19z.

you got a pm!
Old June 14th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #11

do you have rear camber kit installed? Ingalls Rear Kit - You can tell from the pics that I'm running 0 degrees upfront (no camber kit needed) and -.8 in the back (slight tilt)
how much do camber kits usually run? $125
what size rim is that? 18's
how much is the car dropped in the front? 1.7
how much is the car dropped in the rear? 1.0
how much is the htech springs usually run? $185 shipped

to confirm you didn't not buy new shocks with your springs? No, stock dampers.

finally is this a DIY or is it best to have a mechanic install camber kit and htech springs? It was a 1st time DIY for me and I did not have any problems. After the install, I had a 4-wheel alignment.

thanks boss

Last edited by dme330i; June 15th, 2005 at 06:27 PM..
Old June 14th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #12
St. Louis!

If you go 18's, get 225/40 tires, they're beefy enough for daily driving. If you want a subtle drop, get the HFP drop. It is springs and dampers combined, you get about a 1 inch drop all around. This is a pretty safe setup IMO. And does the trick
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #13

sweeet yeah im going for

18 x 8.0
5x114.3 lug patter
+43 offset ill show you the pics once the setup is complete!

you think 1 inch drop is enough? i was thinking maybe a lil more than one but not too much? i dunno we'll see!

Last edited by habibnazir; June 15th, 2005 at 09:52 AM..
Old June 14th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #14

38 offset wont work 40 atleast and 42-45mm looks the best
Old June 14th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepa
38 offset wont work 40 atleast and 42-45mm looks the best
yikes i was reading 38 on the site and wrote it by accident! thanks for the check...

i checked it
Old June 14th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #16

what offset are you planning on getting? n you got pm
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #17

ace allure
18 x 8
5 x 114.3
43mm offset

wrapped in khumo ecsta supra 712
235/40/18

should be here by middle of next week
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dme330i
Please do the research. The answer to your question is, "it depends."

If you want to get rims and lower the car as simple as possible, you can go with your wheel/tire choice and h-techs. While the H-tech drop is not as aggressive as others, it's not too bad. Also, the spring rate on the h-techs are similar to stock, so stock dampers match well with them. Also, stock ride quality won't be compromised with h-techs.

Rear camber kit is your call. If you want to replace tires every year, then don't get the rear camber kit.

Here are a couple pics of an h-tech drop:

hey what size are the tires on those rims? thanks
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #19

damn, that looks low for htech compared to the other pics, or maybe its just the rims filling in the rest. looking good.

any pics of the front?
Raddy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #20

looks good on a sedan makes it look clean
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:23 PM   #21

235/40/18
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:06 PM   #22

When it comes time to dropping your car to eliminate the gap between the fenders and the wheels what should you do?

Should I put the new wheels on the car and then measure how much I need to drop it? And by measuring, can you just physically measure the distance of the gap in inches with a ruler?

or is there a standard like for 18 inch alloy wheel with 235/40/18 tire on a sliver coupe it should be dropped "so and so?"

or is it more technical than that and im completely missing the idea?

i just ordered
Ace Allure
18 x 8
5x114.3
43mm offset

wrapped in my favorite
khumo ecsta supra 712
235/40-18

got 'em from wheelmax.com they where great they beat the price on the tires from tirerack for me and gave me the lowest price i could find on the net for the wheels in that size. another company (no name site was offering 'em cheaper) but i didn't trust buying the wheels from them and than dealing with finding tires from somwhere else paying to mount them and blah blah.

package deal was the way to go for me.. should be here by monday! can't wait!

thanks for you help!
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #23

ok when you get springs you cant lower to where you want it its just a set height, if you getting 18z and you want NO GAP, you wont accomplish that with any springs out there for out cars (correct me if im wrong) but only with COILOVERS, if you go with somthing like Htechs you will have a perrty big wheel gap, if you just want the cleanest drop possible go with coilovers (adjusable springs) tein baiscs are probally the best for the price just under $700 shipped. But with coilovers you will need a rear camber kit ($129 shipped) no shocks becase they already come with them.
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #24

ughh thanks for the info Deepa, im currently in the coilovers vs. konis w/ s-techs dilemma
Raddy21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #25
User #4002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddy21
ughh thanks for the info Deepa, im currently in the coilovers vs. konis w/ s-techs dilemma
go coilovers unless you don't want to adjust your drop.

@ least with coilover you can adjust them back to stock gap or in between.
just remember everytime you make height adjustment get an alignment done
Old June 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #26

okay.

so if i want to adjuts go coilovers.

if i just want to get a fixed dropped get a spring setup only.

either way buy the camber kit (rear only) for 150 bucks its worht it or ill have to buy new tires a lot.

right?

okay why can't i just buy the htechs that dme330i has got on his accord sedan in the picture above? drop the car 1.7 in the rear and 1.0 in the front? that looks good and i like the amount of gap

i dont want a low rider and i dont want my car bobbling up and down over ever little crack in the road...
Old June 16th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #27
User #4002

You might want to read this also
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...&highlight=FAQ

Correct.

if you want to adjust height every so often.. go coilovers (plus the spring rate match well with the shocks) (during the summer drop the car.. during the winter bring it back to stock, just remember alignment)

fixed drop get the springs setup.
(make sure the spring aren't too stiff, might evenutally blow your stock shocks faster
the stock shock will not handle stiffer springs)

you might not need the camber kit... (depends how low you go)
need to find out when do your alignment fix.
but what I heard anything 1.5 drop or greater you need a camber kit.

example a .5 drop might not need a camber kit

low rider..

I can't help you.. in my area.. the exit ramp/driveway for the Dunkin Dounuts,
I know give me 1 or 1.5 before I scrap the back of my bumper..

[1 time my friend 205/65/R15 blew on a pot hole + rims got bent on stock height]

That doesn't give me much option to lower the car if I wanted some dounuts.

Quote:
okay.

so if i want to adjuts go coilovers.

if i just want to get a fixed dropped get a spring setup only.

either way buy the camber kit (rear only) for 150 bucks its worht it or ill have to buy new tires a lot.

right?

okay why can't i just buy the htechs that dme330i has got on his accord sedan in the picture above? drop the car 1.7 in the rear and 1.0 in the front? that looks good and i like the amount of gap

i dont want a low rider and i dont want my car bobbling up and down over ever little crack in the road...

Last edited by wildpikachu; June 16th, 2005 at 03:54 PM..
Old June 17th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpikachu
You might want to read this also
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...&highlight=FAQ

Correct.

if you want to adjust height every so often.. go coilovers (plus the spring rate match well with the shocks) (during the summer drop the car.. during the winter bring it back to stock, just remember alignment)

fixed drop get the springs setup.
(make sure the spring aren't too stiff, might evenutally blow your stock shocks faster
the stock shock will not handle stiffer springs)

you might not need the camber kit... (depends how low you go)
need to find out when do your alignment fix.
but what I heard anything 1.5 drop or greater you need a camber kit.

example a .5 drop might not need a camber kit

low rider..

I can't help you.. in my area.. the exit ramp/driveway for the Dunkin Dounuts,
I know give me 1 or 1.5 before I scrap the back of my bumper..

[1 time my friend 205/65/R15 blew on a pot hole + rims got bent on stock height]

That doesn't give me much option to lower the car if I wanted some dounuts.

Okay ... So I've ruled out getting springs...I've been looking at pictures and I think I'm going to want my car lower than what I can do with springs on stock shocks so I'm going the coilover system

Before I decided the coilover I checked out HFP and did some searching and it only drops about 1 inch is what I'm gathering. And it is designed for the 17inch wheel from Honda but I'm getting 18, so I'm going to want it dropped lower that 1 inch.

Now I'm looking at coilovers...TEIN and well the cheapes I'm gonna get new is around 900 bucks if I'm lucky and can find an auction on ebay and if not prolly around 1100 bucks...right?

DAMN! gotta have deep pockets for upgrading your rim size ive noticed.

Next since I'm getting new suspension I need camber kit aswell..Haven't found a place that sells that yet but I'm still looking...

Now any other brands aside from TEIN that might be a little cheaper?

And one thing I dont really grasp is adjusting the height of coilover TEIN's yourself.. I see the little wrench it comes with. What do you just stick your hand through the wheel well and crank it up or down? How do you make sure that all 4 or level or atleast the 2 fronts to be the exact and the 2 rears to be exact? An how long is this CRANKING process of adjusting height up or down take?

Thanks
Old June 17th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #29
User #4002

Quote:
Okay ... So I've ruled out getting springs...I've been looking at pictures and I think I'm going to want my car lower than what I can do with springs on stock shocks so I'm going the coilover system

Before I decided the coilover I checked out HFP and did some searching and it only drops about 1 inch is what I'm gathering. And it is designed for the 17inch wheel from Honda but I'm getting 18, so I'm going to want it dropped lower that 1 inch.

Now I'm looking at coilovers...TEIN and well the cheapes I'm gonna get new is around 900 bucks if I'm lucky and can find an auction on ebay and if not prolly around 1100 bucks...right?

DAMN! gotta have deep pockets for upgrading your rim size ive noticed.

Next since I'm getting new suspension I need camber kit aswell..Haven't found a place that sells that yet but I'm still looking...

Now any other brands aside from TEIN that might be a little cheaper?

And one thing I dont really grasp is adjusting the height of coilover TEIN's yourself.. I see the little wrench it comes with. What do you just stick your hand through the wheel well and crank it up or down? How do you make sure that all 4 or level or atleast the 2 fronts to be the exact and the 2 rears to be exact? An how long is this CRANKING process of adjusting height up or down take?

Thanks
Modding can be a expensive hobby!

Major Coilover Brands

TEIN, APEX'I, Tokico,Tanabe, Zeal, HKS, H&R(Maybe) - Tein seem to be the most popular, and isn't much complains about them. Do a search

As to adjusting to height, how do you make sure they are level?
use a tape measure (really).. the other question just crank up or down.. I personally don't know..
Old June 17th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #30

tien basics-$680 shipped
Tien SS- is about $1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in