Need wheel / tire advice - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2003, 08:59 PM   #1

Need wheel / tire advice

I'd like to get a set of Kosei 17x7.5" wheels and Pirelli P-Zero Nero 225/45-17 tires for my wife's V6-6speed coupe. However, Tirerack says these may rub in the back. I have trouble believing this as Tirerack is sure that these same wheels fit fine with 215/50-17 tires. The difference should only be 5mm on the outside, 10mm at the most. It is hard for me to believe that such a small increase in width could cause rubbing.

Anyone have any first hand experience to share?

For those interested in why I want this particular set up, I want to improve handling without increasing rotating mass. I suspect the Kosei wheels at about 16lbs each are lighter than the factory wheels which should offset the likely heavier tires. The tires should improve grip for acceleration, cornering and braking substantially.

Also, note that I have not changed the stock ride height. At some point in the future, I will probably want to install a set of higher performance shocks and springs, but I am not interested in lowering the car more than about 1".

TIA,
Ira
iblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2003, 02:47 PM   #2

Surely someone has some experience here. How about those with 18" or 19" wheels. Anyone running anything wider than 215?

Ira
iblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2003, 02:53 PM   #3

My experience with tire rack is that they are very conservative with their tire width. I have the sedan, got 18X8 rims, and lowered it around 1.5". I got my tires from tire rack and they told me to get the 215's and I went with the 225's anyway and I was fine. I am not sure if that helps but that was my experience.
OEM DECK LID SPOILER
beerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old July 11th, 2003, 03:06 PM   #4
AV6 Member

225s will be fine, i had some and didn't rub at all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's
FAST99CCORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2003, 03:31 PM   #5
Banned

I have what may be a stupid question about tires/wheels, but I'm a noob at the mod game so bear with me:

My OEM set-up on my 2003 EX-V6 coupe is 205/60-16 and the tire suggestions that TireRack.com gives for larger wheel sizes are 215/50-17 and 215/45-18.

So here's my question: I know width doesn't matter in this, but if I put 40-series tires on 18" wheels, will that affect my speedometer and odometer? Any explanations for how these instruments are linked to the tire/wheel diameter would be appreciated... Thanks!
JWarren2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #6
shady mofo

usually when you check on those sites, they have what is called "plus sizing" this takes into consieration the bigger wheel and will give you a lower profile tire that'll keep the overall diameter the same size...so imagine your stock wheels now, and if you go to 18's add one inch of wheel and subtract one inch of tire all the way around from the inside
hope that makes some sense?!?

--hoop

*neuspeed race springs||neuspeed short shift||SPC rear camber kit||
||15% tint all around||k&n filter||shaved rear end||yoko avs es100||
||custom powdercoated wheels||aem cai||custom flomaster exhaust
i'm a ferrari driver trapped in a honda owners body...
IIHOOPII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 11th, 2003, 10:06 PM   #7

NO PROBLEM! I have 225-50-17s on 17x7 43mm offset wheels and there is absolutely no rubbing at all. You might want to go to the 225-50-17, because they are closer to the stock diameter. Discount Tire Direct reccommends up to a 245-40-18 on a 7th gen coupe. Looking at mine, I can see no reason why they would not work.
Discount Tire Direct
2003 VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 12th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #8

I have 225/50-17x7.5 on my car. I got the Michelin pilot sport a/s. No rubbing problems. Great handling, smooth ride.

Now dropping might change that. I am going to waiting to buy Teins.
Old April 12th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #9
Ash

Can someone tell me what the tallest or widest 17in tire is I can put on the 6speed stock wheels?

I did a search, but I'm still not sure.

Last edited by Ash; April 12th, 2004 at 05:14 PM..
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to macboi
yeah can someone please tell me.. i have 235/17 on it.. and it seems fine but all these comments makin me nervous
macboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 13th, 2004, 09:08 PM   #11
vroom vroom

It depends a lot on your rims' offset as well. If your rims offset is close to stock (+55 or 50) then you should have no trouble. But if your offset is say +40 they might rub if your lowered.
ctsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:35 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to macboi
Quote:
Originally posted by ctsport
It depends a lot on your rims' offset as well. If your rims offset is close to stock (+55 or 50) then you should have no trouble. But if your offset is say +40 they might rub if your lowered.
wat if the offset is 45? that's between , I have the new acura tl rims on my acccord, I mean i guess it's not rubbin or anything cause it on Teins' H-tech
macboi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #13

if you guys need to know speedo readings and size comparisons, check out my site, it has a tire calc.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/index.php?page=tirecalc
7thGenACCORDcom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thGenACCORDcom
if you guys need to know speedo readings and size comparisons, check out my site, it has a tire calc.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/index.php?page=tirecalc
For the 7th gen AV6 coupe, does it have a 4 or 5 lug. I found these badass 19"s but they come in only (4x114.3) or (4x4.50) sizes. Will these fit on the coupe?

thanks for the help
OnEBADa$$AcCorD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #15
I AM LOST....

Send a message via AIM to brex
^^^ it is a 5 lug..

ps.. don't forget to check the sticky on "how do i buy rims / tires? " in the suspension section.. very good writeup there..
brex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:16 AM   #16

damn..that sux...o well...thanks for the reply....looks like i'll have to pass these 19s over..
OnEBADa$$AcCorD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 22nd, 2006, 01:10 PM   #17

This post died a long time ago but I'm hoping someone out there can provide some first hand feedback to relieve my concern.

I was wondering if any of you actually installed the Kosei rims and if so I'd like to know your opinion of them. I'd like to put some light-weight rims on my 7th gen '03 AV6 without breaking the bank. I just want to be sure these rims can hold up in the long run and wont warp or crack on me.
Thanks.
dryheat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in