Dampering setting for supercup kit - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #1

Dampering setting for supercup kit

Hi guys,
Recently I noticed that it is very anoying to drive with supercup kit on a road that is un-even like 10 freeway since it's kinda bumpy. The front one was set to full soft, the back one is like 1/2 to 3/4 from soft/stiff setting...1.75" all around. Do u gusy think its the dampering setting?Or the neuspeed racing shocks?Or I should raise it a bit?

If you happen to be in socal, how much do u think a speedshop will charge to set the damper?(I dont know how to open the back seat to adjust the rear damper setting), if you know a shop that have decent price with good work, let me know.

thanks
liuhendy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 6th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Formerly EPS Sniper

Send a message via AIM to ATX 6Speed
The rear should be pretty easy. You just fold down the back seat and then remove that plastic trim piece. I think that you may be underdampening it, hence the lumpy ride (albeit the race springs are pretty stiff). Set it to half stiff and you should be fine.

Here's how to remove the plastic:
ATX 6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #3

ah thx, I might give it a try. Now I need to find a correct tool.I'm going to set it to full soft.

PS:Where did u get this picture?Awesome....

Old February 6th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #4

Why did you set your rear rebound to be more firm? The rebound should be set in relation to spring rate. Ive called koni and neuspeed multiple times and the general consensus is to set the rebound at around 3/4 of a turn from soft setting. Anymore and you'll be bouncing around crappy streets which is what happened to me. I go to school in la jolla and the roads are pretty bad. Mine is at 1 turn from soft all around right now and the car oscillations are firm and controlled but not bouncy if i hit bump. Play with the setting its going to cost more than its worth if you try to get it done at a shop
rccardude909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude909
Why did you set your rear rebound to be more firm? The rebound should be set in relation to spring rate. Ive called koni and neuspeed multiple times and the general consensus is to set the rebound at around 3/4 of a turn from soft setting. Anymore and you'll be bouncing around crappy streets which is what happened to me. I go to school in la jolla and the roads are pretty bad. Mine is at 1 turn from soft all around right now and the car oscillations are firm and controlled but not bouncy if i hit bump. Play with the setting its going to cost more than its worth if you try to get it done at a shop
I was installing this in a speedshop, so I was asking him how does it normally set on the rear and he said 3/4 from full soft...so I went with his suggestion and to my tatse it's feel more bumpy then I expected but everything set already, now I'm stuck with this setting.

So now I'm figuring out hwo to make it better. So what is ur setting?I'm about to set it to FULL SOFT, and see if that will improve the ride. That's why I'm going to do it myself, I think if I went to a shop again, he probably charge me $15-20 per side just to set the dampering.
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #6
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuhendy
I was installing this in a speedshop, so I was asking him how does it normally set on the rear and he said 3/4 from full soft...so I went with his suggestion and to my tatse it's feel more bumpy then I expected but everything set already, now I'm stuck with this setting.

So now I'm figuring out hwo to make it better. So what is ur setting?I'm about to set it to FULL SOFT, and see if that will improve the ride. That's why I'm going to do it myself, I think if I went to a shop again, he probably charge me $15-20 per side just to set the dampering.

when i had my koni's i set my fronts to 1 full turn from soft, and rears 3/4 turn from soft. i think you should always have the fronts a little stiffer since most of the weight is up front. you can do it yourself its really easy, fronts are a snap just put the knob right on top of the shocks, rear panel is a little tricky though, you have to be carefull not to break off any of the pegs, or crack the panel itself.
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe
when i had my koni's i set my fronts to 1 full turn from soft, and rears 3/4 turn from soft. i think you should always have the fronts a little stiffer since most of the weight is up front. you can do it yourself its really easy, fronts are a snap just put the knob right on top of the shocks, rear panel is a little tricky though, you have to be carefull not to break off any of the pegs, or crack the panel itself.
Oh yeah, the front one was easy...I can set it up myself, the rear one is the one that become a trouble for me. I have my front to full soft, and I'm about to set my rear to full soft as well. I read it over koni web, that for beginner....it was recomended to have both in full soft setting.

"Q: What is the best adjustment setting for my shocks?

A: There is no single best adjustment setting for your KONIs because every driver has different preferences for comfort, performance, performance modifications and roads to drive on. For most vehicles, we suggest that new KONIs be installed in the full soft position. (the standard setting right out of the box) to take advantage of the balance of ride comfort and handling designed by the KONI ride development engineers. If the car has performance upgrades (springs, wheel/tire packages, etc.) or the driver wants the car a bit more aggressive, most people find the optimum setting in the 1/2 to one full turn from the full soft range. Over the extended life of the damper or if the driver wants a specific firm handling characteristic, the dampers can be adjusted up higher. Very rarely will KONI ever need to be adjusted to the full firm setting."
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #8

I prefer my fronts to be a half turn from full stiff. When they were set softer i thought the ride was bouncy and uncomfortable.
808v6er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808v6er
I prefer my fronts to be a half turn from full stiff. When they were set softer i thought the ride was bouncy and uncomfortable.
It should be more comfortable if you set it to softer...coz the stiff setting will react to bumps more then soft setting but handle better when cornering. I would rather sacrifice that and get better ride.
Old February 6th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuhendy
It should be more comfortable if you set it to softer...coz the stiff setting will react to bumps more then soft setting but handle better when cornering. I would rather sacrifice that and get better ride.
Not for me. I actually think it's more comfortable when stiff and I've tried all the settings.

But like you said yourself, everyone is different.
808v6er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #11
indoctidiscant

Send a message via AIM to OwAce
ok

first of all define bouncy

1. is it when the car oscillates everytime you hit a bump?
or
2. is it when the car sharply reacts to a bump in a very jerk like fashion?

if 1. then you need to INCREASE damping, as you are underdamped

if 2. then you need to decrease damping as you are overdamped.

softer settings = air like ride, but springs will bounce you all over the place uncontrolled

stiffer settings = firmer ride as springs are damped and acceleration is retarded by the stiffer shock.
OwAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwAce
ok

first of all define bouncy

1. is it when the car oscillates everytime you hit a bump?
or
2. is it when the car sharply reacts to a bump in a very jerk like fashion?

if 1. then you need to INCREASE damping, as you are underdamped

if 2. then you need to decrease damping as you are overdamped.

softer settings = air like ride, but springs will bounce you all over the place uncontrolled

stiffer settings = firmer ride as springs are damped and acceleration is retarded by the stiffer shock.
Looks like I'm on the second one, it's not just everytime it hit bump...everytime I ride on a freeway that is un-even, u know those that have tini hole, rough surfaces like 10 Freeway...I have this really bad "comfort" in my ride. [People like bouncing around inside my car]....what do u mean by decrease damping?more stiffer or softer setting?
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #13
I ♥ My Honda

Send a message via AIM to ephyouckay
mine does the same thing... i dont think its dampening on the shocks... couldnt it be the spring rate?
ephyouckay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #14

So, I took OWAce advice I do some experiment today, messing around with my front dampering setting. At first, I set it to full soft and people were shakin around in my car like they riding a horse or somethin....then I did make it a bit [very little] to stiff...and amazingly, IT RIDES BETTER!

Now I'm tempted to adjust it a bit more to stiff...maybe this will make it better, or I should just leave it like that...Hm??
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #15
Formerly EPS Sniper

Send a message via AIM to ATX 6Speed
Approximately how many turns after full soft did you set it to? I'm getting my Konis/Prokits put on this Friday and wanna get it right
ATX 6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #16
The Syndicate Martyr

Send a message via AIM to Dynamatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by eps sniper
Approximately how many turns after full soft did you set it to? I'm getting my Konis/Prokits put on this Friday and wanna get it right

It's more to your taste's.. It's what YOU desire out of your kit. I suggest setting it to full soft after you install them but dont put the panels in the rear back in. Drive around and if you need to adjust it's a peace of cake
Dynamatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamatt
It's more to your taste's.. It's what YOU desire out of your kit. I suggest setting it to full soft after you install them but dont put the panels in the rear back in. Drive around and if you need to adjust it's a peace of cake

Some speedshop just wont let u do that, they just asked on what setting you wanted and they set it, put everything on to it's original state. That's what happen to me, the installer wont let me try it while the backseat was open after he install the kit.

As for the front one, its a piece of cake...u can set it anytime u want. The tricky one is the rear one...we all wanted lowered look but still ride in comfort...so I suggest not too far from soft, but yeah....definetely dont put it to full soft...u'll be bouncing around the car.

Let me know how it goes, I still figuring out the best dampering setting for the rear.
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #18
I ♥ My Honda

i have it set down the middle and there is this one part on the free way where my car bumps up and down. other than that i havent been on a road that does anything close to that. full soft will be too soft. and ive had it on 3/4 of the way to full stiff and its a pretty harsh ride. you literally feel every damn bump in the road.

for me 1/2 way is perfect but i still get the bouncy feeling when i am on that part of the freeway. but like i said the ride is nice on comfy anywhere else. i really think its the spring rate thats causing it to bouncy up and down like that.
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephyouckay
i have it set down the middle and there is this one part on the free way where my car bumps up and down. other than that i havent been on a road that does anything close to that. full soft will be too soft. and ive had it on 3/4 of the way to full stiff and its a pretty harsh ride. you literally feel every damn bump in the road.

for me 1/2 way is perfect but i still get the bouncy feeling when i am on that part of the freeway. but like i said the ride is nice on comfy anywhere else. i really think its the spring rate thats causing it to bouncy up and down like that.
It could be, coz were using race spring instead of sport spring...I know I should get the sport spring at first and set it on the lowest perch, dammit! So us et it 1/2 way for the front and rear?I just set it a bit more to stiff today and i'll see how it goes...but 1/2 way to stiff....dang...I think it's too much. Us hould try 3/4.

I think the perfect setting will be 3/4 on the front and a bit off from full soft at the rear.

Hm...Update....it become unpleasant ride if I turn it more to stiff, so I would stick to the first setting, just a little bit to stiff...yea I'm talking around like 15-20 degress to stiff, from full soft.

Last edited by liuhendy; February 7th, 2007 at 07:37 PM..
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #20
I ♥ My Honda

hmm maybe i got use to the 1/2 way but its fine for me hehe... ill play around with the dampering again see if your setup is better but yea i tried full stiff before and it was horrible. lol

but i think regardless of the dampering you will always get the bouncy feel on those uneven highways and it will only be noticeable if its a continuous unevenness otherwise you wont feel it. im pretty convinced that its the spring rate of the race springs. o wells... i still love my setup, cant beat 600 out the door with such great struts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in