Comfort: Prokit vs HFP - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23rd, 2007, 09:45 AM   #1
Formerly EPS Sniper

Send a message via AIM to ATX 6Speed
Comfort: Prokit vs HFP

I searched up and down the forums for the ideal drop that won't sacrifice too much comfort. I know that lowering a car will result in a loss of ride comfort, but the gains in handling and looks usually make up for the loss.

I decided to go with the Prokit springs and Koni shocks back in January. I had the shop that installed them put the front on the lowest perch while leaving the rear on the center perch.

Now that I've been driving it for a while, I just can't seem to see how people find this drop close to the comfort of stock -- it's really bouncy to me and the bumps are pretty rough.

I've tried a wide variety of stiffness settings in the front and back, but they don't seem to make much difference. Here are my questions:

1) What is a good setting for these things? Really stiff, or really soft, or somewhere in between?

2) Could the ride comfort be due to the front being on the lowest perch?

3) Would the HFP solution be more comfortable?

There are some days where I just love the aggressive ride, but on other days where I just want a chill drive to work, it gets to be pretty annoying. What are your thoughts?
ATX 6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:03 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to phongtruong12
I'm getting the HFP suspension myself. From what I've heard, the HFP is probably the closest to stock. The drop will look even, but it will still ride comfortably. From what I've seen, it seems like the sedans have a more even drop than the coupes possibly due to the added weight.
phongtruong12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:20 PM   #3
Giggity. Aw Right.

'm on the supercup kit, and neuspeed recommends 3/4 turn from softest all around for their springs on sp3 koni yellows . what is yours setup at? i thought mine was a bit stiffer than stock but i didn't notice any major bounciness to my ride.

as for the lowest perch, it shouldn't make a difference as koni wouldn' make a product that will compromise dampening in any of their ride height settings.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Giggity. Aw Right.

oh, and HFP's imo do not have an even drop, the front still hangs a lil bit higher than the back. i think honda designs this way for additional clearance for the front.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM   #5
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
^^
Yup!

My neighbor has the HFP kit, i must say, i can barely tell that it's dropped. ANd for the price, I would have gotten something better that's aftermarket.
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #6
Formerly EPS Sniper

I had it at 3/4 of a turn front and back, but now I set it to 1/4 of a turn in the front and full soft in the back. It feels alright, but definitely could be better. Perhaps I should start from there and gradually stiffen it.

On another note, I broke one of the tiny clips on the very edge of that plastic that covers the rear shocks. Anyone else break those clips?

Also, how do you guys manage to adjust the rears? It's such a pain with the huge knob Koni gives you.
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:13 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to 03coupe6speed
I was going to get the HFP kit. Ganley Hondas website says it drops it an inch all around...that would be good enough for me...plus im sure it still rides great since its factory tuned??
03coupe6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #8

i've researched the best i could re: the HFP kit myself. i never came across a person who felt the HFP was too rough. it seems main complaints are:

- even 1" drop all around, so the front is still higher than the back
- relative to the performance gain, cost of a new HFP kit is pretty expensive. enough to make a lot ppl consider aftermarket
dukwei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 24th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #9
Formerly EPS Sniper

That's why I got the prokit/koni setup. I got my springs for 100 shipped from Simione and my shocks for 520 or so brand new shipped. For almost the exact same price, I got a suspension that will go lower and ride about the same...now it's a matter of dialing it all in.
Old April 25th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #10
Park Acura

Send a message via AIM to SanMarino Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03coupe6speed
I was going to get the HFP kit. Ganley Hondas website says it drops it an inch all around...that would be good enough for me...plus im sure it still rides great since its factory tuned??
I put the HFP kit on my 98 and I love it. For me it took the floating feeling I had at highway speeds and firmed the ride to make it more responsive. Could I have gone with another set-up? sure but the ease of bolt on and go was what I was looking for. JMO
SanMarino Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #11
Formerly EPS Sniper

Part of me wonders if I should get the HFP suspension and just sell my Koni/Prokit setup. Maybe I am just being oversensitive because from what I remember, the suspension that came with our Accords wasn't that soft to begin with.
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #12
Git-r-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by eps sniper
Part of me wonders if I should get the HFP suspension and just sell my Koni/Prokit setup. Maybe I am just being oversensitive because from what I remember, the suspension that came with our Accords wasn't that soft to begin with.

Def bro, the stock ride is pretty damn stiff for OEM suspension in my mind, was the first thing I noticied when I test drove it

dont go for the HFP, I was gonna go that road and did some research, it aint worth it 600 bucks? hell with that, I picked up some used SS-P for 850
06 AV6 06MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 28th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to vtec_babe05
Just wanted to add my 2 cents as a HFP suspension owner... I have not noticed any major difference as far as ride quality, but you still get the benefits of better handling and getting rid of 1 inch of wheel gap I am not so much for looks as improvement though and I did not wish to sacrifice the ride quality for appearance. I went through the dealer to get mine done so that it is covered by my warranty. They will try to void your warranty if you install an aftermarket suspension (at least in my experience). Anyway best of luck whichever you decide!

edited: I mean there is not a noticeable difference of comfort between stock and HFP.

Last edited by vtec_babe05; April 28th, 2007 at 08:13 PM..
vtec_babe05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #14

just bought an HFP suspension for my 2005 sedan and installed it myself the diff is WOOOOW, perfect fit to my 225/45/18 wheel. Comport is 8 from 1 to 10 than the original not to mention the respons is much much better. My next project....Sway bar
V6dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #15

If you want an aftermarket suspension that will ride close to stock, why not just get springs with stock shocks? Personally I think the hfp drop looks hideous. Why spend a large chunk of money on something thatíll give you saggy butt syndrome?

I have tein h-techs and a tl-s 20mm rear sway bar. It looks very classy imo(two finger gap all around) , and body roll is eliminated. I also cannot tell the difference in ride quality between stock and now.
Just my .02
lexx426 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #16
St. Louis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx426
If you want an aftermarket suspension that will ride close to stock, why not just get springs with stock shocks? Personally I think the hfp drop looks hideous. Why spend a large chunk of money on something thatíll give you saggy butt syndrome?

I have tein h-techs and a tl-s 20mm rear sway bar. It looks very classy imo(two finger gap all around) , and body roll is eliminated. I also cannot tell the difference in ride quality between stock and now.
Just my .02
Same exact setup, I couldn't agree w/ you more! I'm less than 2 finger gap though, mine must've settled more.
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingof3rdinput
Same exact setup, I couldn't agree w/ you more! I'm less than 2 finger gap though, mine must've settled more.
I just got it installed thursday so im expecting it to settle a little bit more.

Last edited by lexx426; May 20th, 2007 at 10:50 PM..
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #18
St. Louis!

I'm at about 1 finger all around, back is sometimes 0 finger directly on top of the tire anyway.
Kingof3rdinput is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #19
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
I'm wondering if your tires/wheels have anything to do with the rough ride? What kind of tires do you have? Are your wheels stock or aftermarket?

I have the Comptech sport springs with Koni adjustable shocks, Comptech rear sway, SPC rear camber adjuster, 18x7.5 ASA AR2 wheels riding on 225/40ZR/18 Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Positions. The ride is significantly more compliant and much improved with my new wheels/tires than when I had 17x7 TSW Catalunyas with 225/50ZR/17 Avon Tech M550AS rubber. I have a 1 finger gap all the way around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by flyvtec; May 20th, 2007 at 11:39 PM..
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 20th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #20

I have the same tires as you. But on the stock wheels. I love em!
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:07 AM   #21
Formerly EPS Sniper

I'm using the stock 6 speed wheels with 225/50/17 BFG Geforce tires. The fronts are currently set at 1/2 from full soft while the rears are at 1/4 turn. On smooth roads its great, but otherwise the thing seems all over the place. Would different tires help?

I've been contemplating either some 07 TL-S rims or some Altima SE-R wheels....
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:12 AM   #22
Nothing special

Send a message via AIM to blu6speed
I had the HFP kit for several months. I liked it alot. The ride was smoother than stock actually, and it allowed for more spirited driving. But, I ended up selling it and installing Koni shocks with H&R sport springs. I like the drop of the Koni setup, but the comfort of the HFP was better. The other difference is the type of spring used on the two setups. The HFP uses a linear spring, meaning that is as the same stiffness all the time. The H&R springs that I went with are progressive. That means that they are actually a little squishy at first, but get stiff as hell when you push them. I actually miss the linear spring rate of the HFP during normal or spirited driving. The Koni/ H&R setup does not come alive until I really push it. If i had it all to do over again, I think i would have the HFP setup on a daily driver and save the Koni/H&R setup for a car that is going to see some track time.
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:37 AM   #23
Formerly EPS Sniper

Does the HFP suspension come assembled and ready to be installed, or will I need a spring compressor?
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:21 PM   #24

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
Quote:
I'm using the stock 6 speed wheels with 225/50/17 BFG Geforce tires. The fronts are currently set at 1/2 from full soft while the rears are at 1/4 turn. On smooth roads its great, but otherwise the thing seems all over the place. Would different tires help?

I've been contemplating either some 07 TL-S rims or some Altima SE-R wheels....
Did you have the stock 215/50/17 tires on when you lowered your car? When I 1st lowered my car, I had the stock 6sp wheels on 215/50/17 stock tires and the ride was actually pretty good.

When I switched wheels and got 225/50/17 Avons, the ride got stiffer.

Here's my guess, the Avons weighed around 30lbs each, the TSWs 20lbs each so that's 50lbs on each corner. My new wheels and tires are around 46lbs each. I'm just wondering if the 16 lbs I saved in weight is the reason why my ride is so much better than before. Just a thought.

I checked tirerack and the BFG G-Force sport in 225/50/17 is 26 lbs each.

I don't mean to get technical but it's something I just experienced recently. I figured going from a 50 series tire to a 40 series would make my ride stiffer but it was not the case at all.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM   #25
Formerly EPS Sniper

Hrmmm, I got the tires before I lowered the car. Do you think that getting lighter wheels/tires would help out? I've been thinking about getting some nicer wheels, but I just put brand new Geforces on my current ones. Perhaps I could sell the set on here....

The main dilemma I have is two-fold:
1) I like how low my car is now. I have about 1 inch in front and a bit less in the rear. I don't want my car to look like it hasn't been lowered at all.

2) I paid a hefty chunk of money to have the first drop installed. I could either install the HFP myself or just suck it up and get it done right by someone else.

I wish I could get others with the same setup to chime in. I've never ridden in a car with HFP and don't remember the factory ride quality that well.
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM   #26

Smile

Quote:
Does the HFP suspension come assembled and ready to be installed, or will I need a spring compressor?
No need a compressor. Piece of cake, remove all your old (one at a time ) and bolts the HFP. Just dont forget your alignment when your work done.
V6dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:13 AM   #27
Formerly EPS Sniper

I'll keep messing with the settings this week and see what I can find. I stiffened it to 1 turn in front and 3/4 turn in the rear and it seems okay for now.

I love the factory comfort, but it's too high. I love the idea of HFP, but I don't want a 3 finger gap in the front and a 1 finger gap in the rear. If it was 2 in front, 1 in the rear I'd be more willing to do it.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Hrmmm, I got the tires before I lowered the car. Do you think that getting lighter wheels/tires would help out? I've been thinking about getting some nicer wheels, but I just put brand new Geforces on my current ones. Perhaps I could sell the set on here....

The main dilemma I have is two-fold:
1) I like how low my car is now. I have about 1 inch in front and a bit less in the rear. I don't want my car to look like it hasn't been lowered at all.

2) I paid a hefty chunk of money to have the first drop installed. I could either install the HFP myself or just suck it up and get it done right by someone else.

I wish I could get others with the same setup to chime in. I've never ridden in a car with HFP and don't remember the factory ride quality that well.
Well, I went lighter overall (wheels 2lbs more/tires 6lbs less) and bumpy roads don't bother me anymore like before! But then again I have Comptech springs so my setup is completely different than yours.

You may just have to suck it up and wait till its time to replace your tires since you have brand new ones. No need to waste money right?

There's gotta be a few peeps out here who have the same setup as yours. Have you tried contacting Prokit for their opinions?

Good luck man.
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #29
bka SouthBay7thGen

Quote:
I'll keep messing with the settings this week and see what I can find. I stiffened it to 1 turn in front and 3/4 turn in the rear and it seems okay for now.

I love the factory comfort, but it's too high. I love the idea of HFP, but I don't want a 3 finger gap in the front and a 1 finger gap in the rear. If it was 2 in front, 1 in the rear I'd be more willing to do it.
that's exactly why i went with a tein suspension. i've seen 7th gens with the hfp suspension hauling passengers in the back, and its way too low in the rear.
Drags2Riches is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM   #30
Formerly EPS Sniper

I went ahead and ordered the HFP kit from Joe, so we'll see how it goes. I'll also be putting on my brembos and putting in fresh ATE super blue.

I guess this means I'll have a fully assembled, barely used Koni/Prokit setup for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in