question about jackstands - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #1

question about jackstands

i know this question may seem silly, but here goes. i am gong to lower my 2003 honda accord coupe early next month with more than likely neuspeed supercup kits, but will be using the sports instead of the race springs.

my question is, since i will be doing this job myself, when i do the rear shocks and i have the rear of the car up on two jackstands and the front tires still on, is it safe for me to go in the back seat in order to loosen the the top of the shock assembly from the car? for some reason, i keep thinking that the car will slip off of the jackstands when i climb in the car, totally f'n up my car.

if anyone has an answer for me, please let me know.
villaen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #2
original member!

Send a message via AIM to Nittanys1
i would say its not going to fall but do it SLOWLY dont put down alot of weight at once and take your time. When using jack stands there is always that grey area in their performance...
Nittanys1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #3
you gotta rub to dub!

Send a message via AIM to relentless
Yes its ok. Just put a tire stop in the front and put it in first gear if your a manual tranny.
relentless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 14th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #4
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentless
Yes its ok. Just put a tire stop in the front and put it in first gear if your a manual tranny.

Use wheel chocks in the front and losen the rear shock bolts before jacking up, that way if you are really worried you are not breaking the bolt tourqe while on the stands. Same for tightening, and this is just what I normally do anyway, install the rear and only hand tighten the upper bolts, drop it on the ground and let the weight help the upper mounts to find center(where they want to be) and final tighten with the weight of the car on the mounts.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #5
J35 6Spd

put the car in first gear too, it will help lock up the front wheels then the back is raised up
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #6

thanks for all the information everyone gave about the use of jackstands, especially the tip about loosening the bolts to break the torque prior to putting the car on the jackstands.

also just another quick question, when tightening should i also rent a torque wrench if possible to tighten to manufacturer specifications? or should i just tighten the bolts until i can't make it any more tight?

thanks
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #7

dang.. i say just loosen everything beforehand to a point where you can just thumb it off without getting into the car.
asnstyle22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #8
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by villaen
thanks for all the information everyone gave about the use of jackstands, especially the tip about loosening the bolts to break the torque prior to putting the car on the jackstands.

also just another quick question, when tightening should i also rent a torque wrench if possible to tighten to manufacturer specifications? or should i just tighten the bolts until i can't make it any more tight?

thanks
Well, those bolts are not real sensitive to being over tourqed, but if you do not have a "Built In" tourqe wrench like most mechanincs with lots of experience I would suggest it, Craftsman has a nice one on sale for $75 right now.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #9
you gotta rub to dub!

Send a message via AIM to relentless
I only use a torque wrench for wheels (set at 80 lbs). Hand tightening has never been a problem for me or my friends.
If you have a Harbor Freight near you, you can pick up a 25 dollar Husky Torque Wrench (lifetime warranty too). I've manually compared the torque specs against a craftsman and its the same.
relentless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #10

thanks for all the information you all gave, it is very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in