car shaking when accelerating with 20'' wheels - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #1

car shaking when accelerating with 20'' wheels

When Im driving my car the front end shakes real bad when hitting the gas hard and High speeds. I took it to honda dealer to have it check. They didnt find anything broken leaking. the axle are fine. maybe the trans or wheels unbalanced? I had the wheels on my car for a few months with no problems. please anyone help! All the gears are shifting good in the trans. I hope it not a problem inside of the trans. It a 2003 6spd v6 coupe ex. thanks
customaudioman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #2

try getting the wheels balanced or check your alignment
03ondubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #3

can a alignment make it ride bumpy? I thought it was just to keep your car in a stright line. I going today to have the whels balanced

Old June 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #4

after returning from getting my tires balanced, same problem. vibration and shaking when acclerating. no one know what the problem is. is it a problem with the trans? if it is im selling the car and getting a new one. I always had problems with honda auto but never 5 or 6spd, the first. can anyone help me?
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #5
EliteCM.net

Send a message via AIM to sy272004 Send a message via Yahoo to sy272004
did you check if tires are fine? if tire like an egg it could be problem(yes you can balance egg shaped tire on ballancer but still gona wibrate on road. try putting those in back and back once in front. rotate them
sy272004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #6

i have rotated the front tire to the back. there was no egg shape
on the tires. it has to be in the drive train. when I accelerate it shakes, but when im coasting along in netural at 50-60mph no shaking. As so as I put it bck into gear at that speed, it shakes again. I need help anyone?
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by customaudioman
i have rotated the front tire to the back. there was no egg shape
on the tires. it has to be in the drive train. when I accelerate it shakes, but when im coasting along in netural at 50-60mph no shaking. As so as I put it bck into gear at that speed, it shakes again. I need help anyone?
It's not your drive train. I have an MT & I have the same problem... I just put my rims on a couple weeks ago (20x8's) & I'm waiting to get my camber kit (I'm dropped on Basics) before I get an alignment AND balance. I have the same vibration & I was hoping that that would aleviate the problem... But anyway, it's not your drive train b/c I have the same problem....
The Coupe J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 16th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #8

but im not drop, Im on oem springs. the guy at the tir place said if it was unbalanced, it would shake all the time and not just when hitting the gas. why does it shake only when im hitting the gas and not when i taking out of gear coasting along?
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #9

There's a couple threads on this shaking only under acceleration. I was told by the dealership that it's my drivelines...
k.heiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #10

cheap tires well do it,i bought my 18s konig last year,wrap around hpt charger kellys 235/40/18 y 91.anytime i was past 50mph ,i fell vibration on sterring wheel,
i went back complaint to the store where i bought the material. @ first rebalance the tires again,same ****.after few week they replace the wheels,same problem.i did replace the center hub ring from cheap plastic to allow (ordered from 1010tires.com).still the same problem.the manager of the store ask me to put back my stock wheel and see if i had problem with wheel bearing,@ that time my car had only 8700miles on odometer.i did replace back with stock wheel and drove the all week end with them, no problem and no vibration @ all.i went back to the store ask for refund,but they decide to replace my tires with better ones @ no charge,toyo t1r 235/40/18zr (y95).while they swapping those tires with the new ones ,the fund out one of my front tires (right side) was spinning inside of the rims.guess what ,seen then i have almost 12000miles on new tires,no problem.
silveraccord05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #11
honda tech75

Send a message via AIM to juan gonzalez
do u have ur stock wheels still. try them on then go on test drive.
juan gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #12

guys he says if he coasts at a speed and puts it in neutral the vibration goes away. as soon as he puts it in gear it comes back. that doesn't sound like a tire problem.
Cups is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #13
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kleptodathief
is it his tranny mounts?
kleptodathief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 17th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #14

So does it shake under load; or does it shake in gear?
What happens when...
You are on the freeway (65mph) on flat ground and you leave it in 6th, but depress the clutch pedal?
Same scenario, but you depress the clutch and put it in NEUTRAL and release the clutch?
On the freeway going up a slight incline in 6th?
Going downhill in gear (no throttle)?
Going downhill in gear (gas it)?

In order to get a real answer; we'll need to be able to answer all of those questions and more relatively quickly. My suggestion is that you take it in, and ride around with the shop foreman. It's free; and he'll take guesses at what he thinks the issue is. DON'T TELL HIM WHAT YOU THINK IT IS; he's a professional... but he will just say what you want to hear if you act like you know what the problem is.

How do you know the axles are fine? What about the axle bearing and assembly? That's what my guess is; and we're identical to a T; well, maybe not colors... but I'm 2003 EX-V6-6MT with shaking 50-60 UNDER LOAD and NOT coasting.

As people nixing what might be the problem because they have the same car; take what they say with a grain of salt. GO TO A PROFESSIONAL; You've already taken out all of the easy fixes.
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #15

it doesnt shake while in gear, just when I accelerate in gear. like if I was in gear, say 3rd, and let off the gas it doesnt shake. but as soon as I get on the gas it comes back. during highway driving its not that bad, if I start off not punching the gas hard, it seems normal. I was thinking it might be my rotors? Under braking, at any speed over 30mph it shakes real bad. The same as I hit the gas when starting off. maybe I can get the rotors turned? It 100% not the wheels and tires. I already took it to a wheel shop.
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #16

when I took it to honda they told me there is no visable damage to the drivetrain, no drops of fulids or cracks in the boots. there was no loose play in the axels. the tech also took the car for a test drive. he said the same thing as I was saying. they would have to take some parts off to inspect the parts internal.
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #17

Your rotors would have to be pretty warped to cause a huge vibration while you are not using the brakes.

All of my intuition is pointing to a bad bearing on the drivelines;; 800 bucks to fix (I didn't take my car in though... so I don't know if it fixes it). It seems that all of the 03 v6 6mt's are sharing the problem... regardless of wheels and drop. Goodluck, post a fix when you find it. You can turn your rotors if you want, but I am almost willing to bet that it's not going to change any of the symptoms you're describing.
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #18

thanks, you think I sould just get two new axels? or just trade the car in for a g35 coupe?
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #19

Ride around in the g35 coupe. I like the exterior over the Accord tenfold, but the interior is a disaster. It performs better, but I think requires premium octane. There's tons to balance out; obviously I chose the Accord, but I think it would be worth trying to fix the accord before you drop it off at the dealership with a goodbye kiss. See how much it would cost to get it fixed, don't use the OEM axles, because they're obviously not doing too well on everyone's car. There's aftermarket that are rated stronger and half the price...
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #20

^ I had the same problem and symptoms listed above.

Took it in the dealership numerous times and went through numerous things:

- Rims (factory) and borrowed my friend's rsx rims. Same prob
- rotors. Replaced (needed to any ways). Still same prob
- rotated tires. Still the same

Finally forced the issue and made them pop the axles off. They were shot.

Covered under warranty. They had to call honda though for authorization of course. When talking to the warranty rep, he was saying that was like the 4th one in the last 6 months to have drive axles problems. And all 4 were six speeds. Food for thought
trapshot68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #21

So for people with this problem where can we find aftermarket drive axles? How much? Can it be done DYI?
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #22

what name brand aftermarket axels? how much? So I shouldnt
take it to the dealership to have them check it? also I was thinking about the g35 , but it takes 92+ gas and 7-$10,000 more than my accord for only 40hp more. Just not worth it to
me. plus Ive put more than $12,000 into my car
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #23

G35 is RWD That's worth a good 5k;

Anyways, I went to Napa and asked about axles, and shopped from there. I didn't buy them, though... because I don't see any point in spending that kind of money on a manufacturer defect... so I'll wait until they're willing to replace it with free labour, I'll drive around and tell everyone about how my Honda shakes because they've installed shotty axles.
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #24
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by customaudioman
what name brand aftermarket axels? how much? So I shouldnt
take it to the dealership to have them check it? also I was thinking about the g35 , but it takes 92+ gas and 7-$10,000 more than my accord for only 40hp more. Just not worth it to
me. plus Ive put more than $12,000 into my car
Advance Auto Parts lists them at $153 ea. remaned...

Do you have NOS or FI? What type of drivning do you do?

Last edited by NVA-AV6; June 19th, 2007 at 03:18 AM..
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #25

I dont have any FI Or NOS. just good axels that it hold up wit the
20'' wheels I have if i need to accelerate fast.
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #26

I need to get mine checked out... I really don't think it's the axles b/c mine doesn't do that when i have the factory wheels on... And mine only shakes bad after about 50 mph (any thing in "freeway speed" range) i think I have crappy tires or something...
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #27

mine is at any speed when hitting the gas.
Old June 19th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #28

just got back from dealership? same problem. thaey couldnt fine anything wrong with the drivtrain. they told me they could start by replacing all the axels and the intermedit axel to see if that would work. i really need help!
Old June 19th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #29

they said bad vibration when accelerating, hubs are spinning okay, all mounts look goood. Carrier bearing has no play. they told me I should replace the passenger side axel shaft, and intermediate shaft. $732 for that side. and then the driver side axel $430.82. is there any cheaper option?
Old June 20th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #30

I found a company call www.gatorracingaxel.com that build heavy duty axels. 237 shipped for stage1 and stage 2 or 3 for $480 which can handle 400+hp at wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in