Upgrading the Front Sway Bar - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 87
Upgrading the Front Sway Bar

Hey guys, I've searched but can't really find the info I need.

I'm picking up a 27mm front sway bar this week and hope to install this weekend. The rear one only took 30 minutes by myself so I'm hoping that the front is easy too.
I was hoping that someone had done a DIY write-up on this like there is for the Rear bar install. That was very helpfull when installation time came. So, who has done this swap and is it difficult?

My next question is about understeer, I found people that installed the front bar in conjunction with the rear and seemed to have problems with understeer.

My front and rear bars are for a 04 TL type S and are designed to be used together but I could guess that the different geometry and weight dist on the AV6 coupe could affect this...

So, basically what I'm asking is...am I going to have a problem? I wanted to tighten up the front end, because after I installed the rear bar I noticed how much roll and flex the front does in corners and a thicker bar up front seems like a good way to fix that.

BTW my suspension is stock pending the install of Tein S-techs and struts.

Thanks
orbit1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #2
SC J32A3 Accord
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit1
Hey guys, I've searched but can't really find the info I need.

I'm picking up a 27mm front sway bar this week and hope to install this weekend. The rear one only took 30 minutes by myself so I'm hoping that the front is easy too.
I was hoping that someone had done a DIY write-up on this like there is for the Rear bar install. That was very helpfull when installation time came. So, who has done this swap and is it difficult?

My next question is about understeer, I found people that installed the front bar in conjunction with the rear and seemed to have problems with understeer.

My front and rear bars are for a 04 TL type S and are designed to be used together but I could guess that the different geometry and weight dist on the AV6 coupe could affect this...

So, basically what I'm asking is...am I going to have a problem? I wanted to tighten up the front end, because after I installed the rear bar I noticed how much roll and flex the front does in corners and a thicker bar up front seems like a good way to fix that.

BTW my suspension is stock pending the install of Tein S-techs and struts.

Thanks

I haven't installed one myself, but looking at where the front sway bar and what I've been told is that you have to drop the crossmember, Jpipe and some other parts before you can get to the sway bar, definitely not a 30min job like the rear.
SleekAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #3
J35 6Spd
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 6,107
the front bar is a bizznatch...

http://neuspeed.com/data/installs/15.20.27.2.pdf

those instructions should be pretty good. good luck
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #4
M90SC Boosting 13PSI
 
NVA-AV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 10,960
I have already done the TL sways on mine and I love it, it really fixed the body roll on tight corners and made the car feel much more planted.

The front can be a B**** if you do not have a good high lifting jack and jackstands. Also it is alot easyier if you drop your j-pipe.

Last edited by NVA-AV6; July 18th, 2007 at 02:34 PM..
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #5
SC J32A3 Accord
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So Cal
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06NighthawkAV6
the front bar is a bizznatch...

http://neuspeed.com/data/installs/15.20.27.2.pdf

those instructions should be pretty good. good luck
Great Link btw!
SleekAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #6
J35 6Spd
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 6,107
neuspeed always has good instructions if they sell a part you're trying to install (ie comptech shortshifter installed with neuspeed instructions = D )
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #7
M90SC Boosting 13PSI
 
NVA-AV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 10,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06NighthawkAV6
neuspeed always has good instructions if they sell a part you're trying to install (ie comptech shortshifter installed with neuspeed instructions = D )
LOL, and an outside phone call.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #8
its my Religion
 
hondaism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne FL
Posts: 1,393
how much did the bar cost you I might look into doing this
hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #9
J35 6Spd
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 6,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
LOL, and an outside phone call.

haha yeah... although this time i was referring to the first short shifter i installed last year.

but if neuspeed is missing a step - NVA is ur man
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaism
how much did the bar cost you I might look into doing this
Front Sway Bar
Front 27.2mm
(#019)---90120-SEP-A00 BOLT, FLANGE (10X35) 4 * $0.88 = $3.52
(#004)---51308-SDA-A00 BRACKET, FR. STABILIZER 2 * $1.89 = $3.78
(#003)---51306-SEP-A01 BUSH, FR. STABILIZER HOLDER (27.2MM) 2 * $2.83 = $5.66
(#002)---51300-SEP-A01 SPRING, FR. STABILIZER 1 * $61.71 = $61.71
orbit1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #11
its my Religion
 
hondaism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne FL
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit1
Front Sway Bar
Front 27.2mm
(#019)---90120-SEP-A00 BOLT, FLANGE (10X35) 4 * $0.88 = $3.52
(#004)---51308-SDA-A00 BRACKET, FR. STABILIZER 2 * $1.89 = $3.78
(#003)---51306-SEP-A01 BUSH, FR. STABILIZER HOLDER (27.2MM) 2 * $2.83 = $5.66
(#002)---51300-SEP-A01 SPRING, FR. STABILIZER 1 * $61.71 = $61.71
thanks keep us posted on how it turns out... install and how the car feels after
hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaism
thanks keep us posted on how it turns out... install and how the car feels after
Will do, should have it finished saturday.
orbit1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Half-Breed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbit1
Hey guys, I've searched but can't really find the info I need.

I'm picking up a 27mm front sway bar this week and hope to install this weekend. The rear one only took 30 minutes by myself so I'm hoping that the front is easy too.
I was hoping that someone had done a DIY write-up on this like there is for the Rear bar install. That was very helpfull when installation time came. So, who has done this swap and is it difficult?

My next question is about understeer, I found people that installed the front bar in conjunction with the rear and seemed to have problems with understeer.

My front and rear bars are for a 04 TL type S and are designed to be used together but I could guess that the different geometry and weight dist on the AV6 coupe could affect this...

So, basically what I'm asking is...am I going to have a problem? I wanted to tighten up the front end, because after I installed the rear bar I noticed how much roll and flex the front does in corners and a thicker bar up front seems like a good way to fix that.

BTW my suspension is stock pending the install of Tein S-techs and struts.

Thanks
I assume you indended to say '07 TL type S, as there is no TL type S for the 04-06's.
Half-Breed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #14
AHo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 52
Ive done the sway bars and the cornering is just awesome. I installed the TL sway bars instead of the type s. the rear is the smae and the front is thicker than stock but not completely solid like the type s. i have had no problems with understeer taking turns around 40. that was when i was stock height also. now that i am lowered the car handles even better.

oh yeah as for the front sway bar i attempted doing it in my friends garage and it was a pain in the ass. worked on it for like 4 hours without being able to get the stock one out. maybe this was because i didnt take off my j pipe, just lowered the subframe. well i ended up just paying a shop to do it.
AHo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #15
its my Religion
 
hondaism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne FL
Posts: 1,393
what is the size of the tl-s rear sway?
hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:58 AM   #16
its my Religion
 
hondaism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne FL
Posts: 1,393
any update??
hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:13 AM   #17
M90SC Boosting 13PSI
 
NVA-AV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 10,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHo
Ive done the sway bars and the cornering is just awesome. I installed the TL sway bars instead of the type s. the rear is the smae and the front is thicker than stock but not completely solid like the type s. i have had no problems with understeer taking turns around 40. that was when i was stock height also. now that i am lowered the car handles even better.

oh yeah as for the front sway bar i attempted doing it in my friends garage and it was a pain in the ass. worked on it for like 4 hours without being able to get the stock one out. maybe this was because i didnt take off my j pipe, just lowered the subframe. well i ended up just paying a shop to do it.
It does seem almost, if not, impossible to do the front without dropping the J-Pipe. Whil;e doing mine I could not get the center bend past eaither side until I pulled the J-Pipe, once that was done it was still tight, but doable.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:22 PM   #18
sedans=awesome
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 115
so wait... you can upgrade our front swaybars by replacing it with a tl or a tl-s? and yes it is alot of work. I just had my rear swaybar upgraded, and the honda tech said it would really blow to do the front... and this is with a lift and 100k plus in tools. my suggestion. pay someone to put it in.

but seriously? you can just swap a TL in for ours? if so, ill be scowering the acura sites for one
trojanhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:39 AM   #19
M90SC Boosting 13PSI
 
NVA-AV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 10,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanhorse
so wait... you can upgrade our front swaybars by replacing it with a tl or a tl-s? and yes it is alot of work. I just had my rear swaybar upgraded, and the honda tech said it would really blow to do the front... and this is with a lift and 100k plus in tools. my suggestion. pay someone to put it in.

but seriously? you can just swap a TL in for ours? if so, ill be scowering the acura sites for one
The front is not as hard as your tech is saying, especially with all of his tools and a lift, I did mine on jackstands and although not easy, it was not that bad.

As far as the bar itself I just got mine from OEMACURAPARTS.COM, the bar is like $50 and anoth $5 for the bushings new.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:43 AM   #20
its my Religion
 
hondaism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne FL
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
The front is not as hard as your tech is saying, especially with all of his tools and a lift, I did mine on jackstands and although not easy, it was not that bad.

As far as the bar itself I just got mine from OEMACURAPARTS.COM, the bar is like $50 and anoth $5 for the bushings new.
how was the handleing after with the tl-s sway?
and does the tl-s have a bigger bar in the rear or is it the same as the 04 tl bar

I have the 04 bar in the rear and considering the tl-s front bar. was it worth the swap you think?
hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:00 AM   #21
M90SC Boosting 13PSI
 
NVA-AV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 10,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaism
how was the handleing after with the tl-s sway?
and does the tl-s have a bigger bar in the rear or is it the same as the 04 tl bar

I have the 04 bar in the rear and considering the tl-s front bar. was it worth the swap you think?
If you do alot of quick high spped turns, yes. As we all know stock these cars feel like they are going to roll over when you take a turn fast and tight, stock, Almost all of my body roll went away when I did both front and rear using the larger solid TL-S bars and I only paid around $130 shipped for both with the busings and rear brackets.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:17 AM   #22
its my Religion
 
hondaism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne FL
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6
If you do alot of quick high spped turns, yes. As we all know stock these cars feel like they are going to roll over when you take a turn fast and tight, stock, Almost all of my body roll went away when I did both front and rear using the larger solid TL-S bars and I only paid around $130 shipped for both with the busings and rear brackets.
so the how big is the tl-s rear bar?
hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM   #23
M90SC Boosting 13PSI
 
NVA-AV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 10,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaism
so the how big is the tl-s rear bar?
I don't think it is any different on the rear bar between TL and TL-s, I will have to check.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #24
Very Inspired
 
haiyter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 1,069
Send a message via AIM to haiyter
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
I don't think it is any different on the rear bar between TL and TL-s, I will have to check.
i thought the tl was 17mm and the tl-s was 20mm
haiyter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #25
I ♥ My Honda
 
ephyouckay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 1,891
Send a message via AIM to ephyouckay
how hard is it to remove the jpipe? like is there clearance to just unbolt it and drop it like how you drop a catback?

If so, it doesnt seem too hard... just 4 bolts for the subframe and prolly another 4-8 for the jpipe and then the rest is taking out the stock front sway.

Even with the jpipe dropped its still hard to get the stock sway out and the new one in?
ephyouckay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #26
M90SC Boosting 13PSI
 
NVA-AV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 10,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephyouckay View Post
how hard is it to remove the jpipe? like is there clearance to just unbolt it and drop it like how you drop a catback?

If so, it doesnt seem too hard... just 4 bolts for the subframe and prolly another 4-8 for the jpipe and then the rest is taking out the stock front sway.

Even with the jpipe dropped its still hard to get the stock sway out and the new one in?
Ok, this is from memory about 4 months ago, but here is what I did.

1> Jack-up the front of the car as high as possible and put it on Jackstands.
2> Remove both front wheels.
3>Remove the front lower splash guard.
4>PB Blaster/Liquid Wrench the hell out of the the J-Pipe bolts and swaybar end links and give it 15-min to penetrate.
5> Using a wire brush clean out the threads of the endlinks of any rust or dirt, re-apply penetrating oil.
6>Remove sway bar end link nuts using a long allenwrench to hold the stud.
7>Using a breaker bar and a 14mm deep socket, extensions, Wheaties, Magic JuJu chicken, cusing, ect.. remove the J-Pipe nuts, preferably without breaking a stud, and put the j-pipe asside.
8> Put jackstands under the front of the k-frame and a jack under the rear of the k-frame.
9> Remove the 4 bolts, 2 on each side, that hold the k-frame near where the drive shafts come out from the engine bay to the hubs.
10> Backout the two large bolts that hold the front of the k-frame about 1/2"
11> Support the back of the k-frame in the middle with a good floor jack and remove the two large bolts holding the rear of the k-frame in place, I also remeber two smaller bolts holding two stamped brackets in place that also have to be removed.
12> Lower the k-frame about 2-3 inches in the back, be aware that the sterring knuckle is attached, so do not lower any further unless you unbolt it, I did not have to.
13> Remove the sway bar bushing clamps.
14> Wiggle and worm out the sway bar, I took mine out thru the drivers side.\
15> Install the new sway bar and bushings in the reverse order and be sure the end links are tight or you will get noise going over bumps and around corners. Also be sure to apply anti-sieze to the j-pipe nuts and studs, if you can find some replace the nuts with new SS ones.

I hope this helps.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #27
M90SC Boosting 13PSI
 
NVA-AV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 10,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiyter View Post
i thought the tl was 17mm and the tl-s was 20mm
Like I said, I have to check, unfortunatly time got the better of me, but after doing a quick part number lookup they are different part number front and rear.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #28
oSCaR
 
v6_ccord_2k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 4,919
I have the front and rear sway bars from the TL 6MT on my 05 V6 Sedan and every other aspect of the suspension is stock except for the 17" optional wheels... the sway bars GREATLY improved the handling of the car, I can take turns much faster as long as you do it the right way so you dont go sliding into anything lol. I have no problems with the steering, all wheels screech when you push it to the limit and the car has always felt completely under control except for one incident I had on the freeway when I was coming back from getting them installed (went over small bump line dividers and didnt realize exactly how much the suspension was tightened up and the car jolted to the left/right, but I wasnt able to replicate the incident at the same spot so I dunno what it was).

I highly recommend the front/rear sway upgrades.

Last edited by v6_ccord_2k5; August 7th, 2007 at 12:10 PM..
v6_ccord_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #29
M90SC Boosting 13PSI
 
NVA-AV6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 10,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6_ccord_2k5 View Post
I have the front and rear sway bars from the TL 6MT on my 05 V6 Sedan and every other aspect of the suspension is stock except for the 17" optional wheels... the sway bars GREATLY improved the handling of the car, I can take turns much faster as long as you do it the right way so you dont go sliding into anything lol. I have no problems with the steering, all wheels screech when you push it to the limit and the car has always felt completely under control except for one incident I had on the freeway when I was coming back from getting them installed (went over small bump line dividers and didnt realize exactly how much the suspension was tightened up and the car jolted to the left/right, but I wasnt able to replicate the incident at the same spot so I dunno what it was).

I highly recommend the front/rear sway upgrades.
Probably that was the swaybars centering going over that bump, had the same thing happen to me shortly after install, one time and never again.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #30
oSCaR
 
v6_ccord_2k5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Los Angeles, Ca
Posts: 4,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
Probably that was the swaybars centering going over that bump, had the same thing happen to me shortly after install, one time and never again.
yeah, one of my friends told me something might have been unsettled and just settled in and all was fine after that but just a heads-up for those that do install it... be careful on the first drive because I didnt know it was gonna happen and I nearly lost control of the car at 60+mph and it scared the shizznit out of me, haha.
v6_ccord_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On