Urgent! Need to know true price (hours) to install the TL sway bars. - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #1

Exclamation Urgent! Need to know true price (hours) to install the TL sway bars.

I just ordered my sway bars and all the other little parts needed from Acura (cost me $182), I got all the part numbers from one of the threads on this site. Now after I handed Acura my check, they come back and tell me that it will take 3.7 hours to install. From what I read on here, it should take nowhere near that long. I need to know ASAP if I should just take back the parts, or look for somewhere else to get it installed; keep in mind though, that other garages I've called are charging anywhere from $200-$500. Any input would help thanx.
Half-Breed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Bobby Lane Racing

front and back?
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
front and back?
Yes, both of them. The front is from the '07 TL type-S.

Old August 9th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #4

according to Comptech website its 3-hour job for full set of their sway bars.

here is installation instruction for Acura CL/TL, its not any different for 6gen accord, and should not be too different for 7gen as well.
http://comptechusa.web01.yourhost.co...6_swaybars.pdf
HONDA_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #5
Bobby Lane Racing

alldata says about 3.5 hours.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #6
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

3.7 hours, WTF...

Assuming the shop has a lift and so decent knowledge.

Rear should only take .5-.75 hr
Front with a lift and stands 1.25-2 hr

Factory manual always seems to have a 25-40% fudge factor over actual time provided you actually work at it.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVA-AV6 View Post
3.7 hours, WTF...

Assuming the shop has a lift and so decent knowledge.

Rear should only take .5-.75 hr
Front with a lift and stands 1.25-2 hr

Factory manual always seems to have a 25-40% fudge factor over actual time provided you actually work at it.
Yeah, that's what I figured. What do those techs. do with that extra time, watch TV?
Well, it's probably too late to take back the parts (not that I wanted to), so I guess I'll press that time (2 hours) quote I got from this one mechanic. Maybe if I give them a copy of thos Neuspeed instructions, it will speed up the process a bit. Damn, you know, if I had all the parts that are sitting in my basement on my ride, I would be off to a good start with my AV6.

BTW, Honda up here in MN has gone freaking paranoid. They wouldn't even install the sway bars. I told them about Acura being Honda, and they said they understand that, but still wouldn't touch the parts. One mechanic (non-Honda) told me that if I put on the HFP lowering kit, I'd void my warranty. Why the heck does Honda even make the kit then? I'm starting to see NVA's point about buying cars out of warranty (but I just can't take the high miles).
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #8
jin

Send a message via AIM to jin
i installed my tl REAR sway yesterday....5 minutes to jack up the car on both sides ....20 minutes to remove 2 side bolts by the suspension and the 4 bolts holding up the swaybar, and another 10 minutes to install the bar. i have the i4 so the exhaust hanger touches the sway...so i used a dremmel to remove the nipple of the hanger so it can move freely. entire project took about 30-40 minutes... i think the fronts should take no more than 1.5-2 hours at most if you have a friend helping you.
jin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to SweetMt6speed
Put the rear on yourself. easy as pie, really. As for the front, it's a biatch so suck it up and pay for it! What the hell, man you have a nice car and want nice stuff for it yet I don't understand why guys are always bit-h'n about paying for stuff to get done on it. If you want to play you'll have to pay.
SweetMt6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMt6speed View Post
Put the rear on yourself. easy as pie, really. As for the front, it's a biatch so suck it up and pay for it! What the hell, man you have a nice car and want nice stuff for it yet I don't understand why guys are always bit-h'n about paying for stuff to get done on it. If you want to play you'll have to pay.
I know that, however, I don't like it when people feed me BS and charge me MORE than what is required. Even if I drove a brand new Audi RS-4, doesn't mean I would all of a sudden want to pay $500 for a stereo knob.
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #11
Mr. B

yea i actually got mines installed today...they quoted me 120 for both front and back...i didnt mind since im not that experience to work on the front and drop subframe and all the nonsense...

and then once they were done they were like next time if any1 comes in for this they gonna charge atleast 265 cuz the front was a biatch.

the dude only spent most 30minutes for the rear and bout 1.5 hours on the front...

i ended up paying 140 and gave the dude that worked on it a 20 cuz he was sweatin his balls off tryna get the front off...i felt kinda bad
bhavik721 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #12
Mr. B

o btw i had the 07 tl-s sways front and rear installed...

i didnt really notice a differece driving until i actually went down a windy path to work and noticed how much faster i could take the turns without the boat feeling...but its really great!!
bhavik721 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Knale
I used to work as a mechanic. All labor time is quoted from a manual. There are time standards for each job to be performed in the manual. In most cases, what ever time is in the manual, that is what you will get charged no matter how long it takes. From my experience, the time standards are longer than what is needed to perform the work.
Knale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:36 AM   #14
get'cha roll on...

Send a message via AIM to v6SicksSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMt6speed View Post
agreed - the rear one is simple, and with some sort of knowledge and proper tools, i dont think it'll take you more than an hour. this will def cut down on the install time. hence, cutting down the cost

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
v6SicksSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #15
Very Inspired

Send a message via AIM to haiyter
why would you buy and have the acura people install it in the first place?
haiyter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in