Shocks for '07 V6 Sedan? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #1

Shocks for '07 V6 Sedan?

I just got an '07 EX-L V6 SEDAN. It is replacing a '99 of the same model. The '99 came with 15s and I put on 17s with 215/50/17 tires (exactly the size the car comes stock with now). After putting on the wheels/tires, I installed a pro-kit to close the gap. The car handled weird after that probably because the stock shocks/struts were compressed more than they were designed to be. I replaced the shocks with KYBs and it handled great.

I want to buy wheels and tires for the '07 and install pro-kit springs to lower the car a bit...but...I can't find ANY aftermarket shocks/struts for this car. Has anyone installed shocks on this car? Are the stock shocks ok after lowering the car? Anyone install aftermarket shocks? Will any shocks for 03-05 work fine on this car? I think most people are modding the coupe and I have a sedan. Thanks for any input or advice.

By the way, thank you DREW wherever you are for your invaluable info about wheel and tire setups. Any advice here? You have/had a sedan! Nice car.
gopedjim69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #2
oSCaR

why dont you get coilovers? whats your budget?
v6_ccord_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #3

I would be willing to pay to have the car handle well. I don't think there is a coilover kit for that car. Are there generic ones that would fit? Do most people just keep the stock ones?

Last edited by gopedjim69; August 28th, 2007 at 09:39 PM..

Old August 28th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #4

Hfp

I found threads of sedan people using the HFP kit on the sedan. That was fitting the 03-05 kit.

From what Ive read, the suspension on coupe and sedan is identical, its just hard to access to replace the rears.

There are also a bunch of people in the sedan pictures threads with lowered cars. Perhaps read what their setups are?
seutan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #5
oSCaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopedjim69 View Post
I would be willing to pay to have the car handle well. I don't think there is a coilover kit for that car. Are there generic ones that would fit? Do most people just keep the stock ones?
are you kidding me? dude, every single kit that fits the coupe fits the sedan too without a single modification, coupes/sedans use the same exact springs/shocks... not to mention the TSX kits which also fit our cars and the TL ones fit too but there are PLENTY to choose from within the Accord Coupe category...
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. It's not that I don't believe you, it just seems strange that not a single website tells you that. I inquired at Shockwarehouse.com and they replied with "Sorry, none of the shock companies we have offer units yet for the 2007 Accords". I don't get it. They are lame.

I checked through all the 7th gen photos and there are only a few accord sedans and most don't say what aftermarket shocks they have...if any. I don't think I really need/want coilovers as I doubt I am going to want to play around and adjust them all the time. I just want the car to look cool and handle decent with no maintenance on the suspension. As I said before, I'll probably go with an Eibach pro-kit for the springs. Anyone have suggestions for shocks? Keep the stock ones? I'm leaning toward just getting the KYB GR2s or maybe Koni yellows.
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #7
DIY Mania

As far as I know, GR2 is rated OEM replacement, meaning it's about as firm as the stock ones. Installing them won't really help with your bounciness issue.

I recommend a set of Koni Sport or Koni SP3 (from Neuspeed). TSX, 04-08 TL and 03-07 Accord share the same Koni shocks.

Where are you located?
thechamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #8

I'm in OC. Work in Costa Mesa. Live in Irvine. Thanks for the feedback.
Old August 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #9
I OWE benf656 MONEY

TEIN Basic cheaper but good
TEIN SS-P little more expensive but great
TEIN FLEX(TSX) The most expensive but the best
shon.nv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 29th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #10
oSCaR

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. It's not that I don't believe you, it just seems strange that not a single website tells you that. I inquired at Shockwarehouse.com and they replied with "Sorry, none of the shock companies we have offer units yet for the 2007 Accords". I don't get it. They are lame.

I checked through all the 7th gen photos and there are only a few accord sedans and most don't say what aftermarket shocks they have...if any. I don't think I really need/want coilovers as I doubt I am going to want to play around and adjust them all the time. I just want the car to look cool and handle decent with no maintenance on the suspension. As I said before, I'll probably go with an Eibach pro-kit for the springs. Anyone have suggestions for shocks? Keep the stock ones? I'm leaning toward just getting the KYB GR2s or maybe Koni yellows.
There are plenty of sedans out there that have springs, shocks, and coilover setups from the coupes man. Trust me they fit, its been done over and over. The store you talked to just isnt updating their fitment guide, just like the AEM V2 intake wasnt listed to fit my 2005 sedan... but it fit like a charm... I think its still not listed to fit my sedan but even guys with 2007 sedans have the AEM V2 on their coupes/sedans! some of those guys also have the same coilover setups the 2003 guys used way back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon.nv View Post
yeah all those coilovers would be good, theres also the Tein Comfort Sport which is said to be the softest ride... one guy with a SEDAN V6 put those on his car, he sold his set to a guy with a coupe.

Besides Tein, theres also H&R, Buddy Club, D2, Tanabe, Ground Control, Omni Power is said to be out, and theres a few more also...
Old August 29th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #11

As the guys said, I would suggest going with TEIN for the better blend in handling and ride comfort. Get the FLEX for a sportier ride and handling. Or CS for a softer European car-like ride. I personally have the FLEX and I'm very picky about the ride comfort of aftermarket shocks and I think they ride better than stock. Harsher, but not bouncy, so it's much better than stock.
Cups is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #12

Anyone have pics of the Eibach Pro-Kit on the sedan? Can't find anything in the photo thread.
07AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #13

THANK YOU very much for the info. I really appreciate people taking the time to offer their .02. I've been out of the loop for a while since I bought everything for my older accord so long ago.

I'm glad you mentioned the AEM V2 because I have the non-V2 AEM cold air kit on my '99 and I didn't know the 2005 would fit the '07. It makes sense that it would fit but I thought maybe they moved the battery around or something. I know this is a question for another forum but does anyone know if you have to get creative to get the '05 V2 installed on an '07 sedan or is it exactly the same as the '05? I never dreamed the manufacturers are so lazy they don't update their fitment info...for two years!

I need to do some homework on coilovers. If I went with the TEIN SS, I guess I want the ones with the pillow ball upper mount? Not sure I understand the difference but the pillow ball mount allow the shock to be at a better angle and allows adjustment for alignment...is that correct?
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #14

how do you remove a duplicate posting?

Last edited by gopedjim69; August 30th, 2007 at 12:11 PM..
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #15
DIY Mania

Quote:
THANK YOU very much for the info. I really appreciate people taking the time to offer their .02. I've been out of the loop for a while since I bought everything for my older accord so long ago.

I'm glad you mentioned the AEM V2 because I have the non-V2 AEM cold air kit on my '99 and I didn't know the 2005 would fit the '07. It makes sense that it would fit but I thought maybe they moved the battery around or something. I know this is a question for another forum but does anyone know if you have to get creative to get the '05 V2 installed on an '07 sedan or is it exactly the same as the '05? I never dreamed the manufacturers are so lazy they don't update their fitment info...for two years!

I need to do some homework on coilovers. If I went with the TEIN SS, I guess I want the ones with the pillow ball upper mount? Not sure I understand the difference but the pillow ball mount allow the shock to be at a better angle and allows adjustment for alignment...is that correct?
The pillow ball mount doesn't adjust alignment in our case, because it's not MacPherson strut suspension design. The pillow ball's main benefit is sharper steering feel because it's a solid piece of metal whereas the stock top hats have rubber bushings.

The downsides of the metal pillow balls are noisier and harsher feel because the vibrations the stock rubber bushings absorb, now are being transfered to the car and you.

IMO, it really depends on your tolerances of ride quality. If you want the car to retain the stock ride quality as much as possible, the coilovers are not for you. The spring rates on these Tein coilovers (except CS), especially Flex, are quite high and will stiffen your car considerably. The Tein CS should ride pretty comfortably, but they are designed for 4-cyl, not V6.
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #16

I think that coilovers are probably overkill for what I need, but I'm pretty sure the car will be bouncy with aftermarket springs and the stock dampers. The only adjustable shocks I can find for my car are the Koni yellows and they are expensive. Four Koni Yellow and an Eibach pro-kit is almost as much as a TEIN SS kit so I'm leaning toward the TEIN SS WITHOUT pillow ball upper mount. A shop told me you don't really need the pillow ball mount unless you plan to drop the car a lot...and if it is a harsher ride...I'll probably stick with the stock bushings on top. I'd like to lower the car around 1.5-2.0" front and rear. Will the TEIN CS (designed for 4cyl) work on my car or not?
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #17
DIY Mania

The Tein SS without pillow ball mount at its softest damper setting will still be firmer than Eibach Prokit and Koni Sport. However, if you want to lower it up to 2", coilover is definitely the way to go.

The Tein CS will work for your car, but it's even more expensive than SS-P.
Old August 30th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #18

Hey Champ,

What do you know about the shop in Chino Hills called "DirectTuning"? They seem to be a little more expensive than some others shops and I'm just wondering if that is a good shop with knowledgeable people. Thanks.

Thanks again for the feeback. I think the softer ride of the pro-kit and Konis is really what I am looking for. The 1.0-1.5 inch drop of the pro-kit would be enough for me. I don't need to be able to go lower than that. Also, I don't want to rub or bottom out in the back with people in the back seat. I found the Konis for $138 each and the pro-kit is a little over $200 so that is definitely less than what a Tein setup would cost.

Last edited by gopedjim69; August 30th, 2007 at 02:54 PM..
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #19
DIY Mania

I only know their location. I haven't had any experience with them.

If you need help with installation, PM me. I have done suspension install on good 20 Accord/TSX/TL in the last year ranging from HFP, A-spec, springs/shocks swap to full coilover.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM   #20
sedans=awesome

im sure this has been answered before. but i have a 2006 sedan 6mt. i can get an hfp kit pretty cheap, was wondering if 100% sure it fits the sedan and will hold out. and if so, how much better is the hfp kit? will i really notice the difference or do i need to go aftermarket? i have a comptech rear swatbar already if that makes any difference
trojanhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:47 PM   #21

gopedjim69,

Don't forget that Eibach have released some revised spring rates for the Accord 06-07 Pro-Kit. Make sure you get the good part numbers...
D-Press is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #22

D-Press, thanks for the tip. I noticed different sites listed different Eibach part numbers for my car. Some of them were offering the 03-05 springs for my car. The correct part number for 06-07 Accord V6 pro-kit appears to be 4067.140. I know that Honda changed the stock shocks and springs to better accomodate the 17" wheels so I guess Eibach did the same? Does anyone know what they changed exactly?
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #23

I think they're a bit stiffer and the drop is lower on the front. 1.6F/1.2R instead of 1.3F/1.2R....

Give us some feedbacks if you gonna try them......I might try those Pro-Kit on stock shocks and some H&R 28mm front with 22mm rear sway bars...
Old September 6th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon.nv View Post
TEIN CS(TSX) - I've got no complaints. Four thin fender washers for the rear shock and I'm a happy camper; very happy. The ride is first class and I'm just under 2 finger gap.
k.heiner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #25
DIY Mania

D-Press, if I were you, I'd get the Koni shocks first before upgrading the sway bars.

Upgrading the swaybars and putting lowering springs yet still depending on the weak and soft stock shocks won't gain you any handling improvement. If anything, your car could be unsafe at times esp at corners. Remember, swaybars are also springs and the shocks have to damp their oscilating forces, too. The stiffer the swaybars, the harder the shocks have to work to damp them.

Further, you don't need the bigger front sway bar. The car has horrible understeer at stock form. By increasing front and rear swaybar, the car will still understeer and 4-wheel slide easier.

If you want to make your car handle more neutral, get the larger rear swaybar and leave the front alone. Get good shocks like Koni Sport and a set of quality springs and performance tires and you're all set.

I'm now running 20 mm rear swaybar from TL 6MT and Koni SP3 plus Eibach Pro-kit and it still understeers quite a bit although much less than stock. It's also easier to rotate its rear end a bit at turns.
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #26

Yeah you probably right, I just didn't want to spend taht much money for the whole kit Eibach/Koni and finally don't the like the drop/confort...

That's why I have the Tein SS-P coilovers option as my second setup choice.
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #27
DIY Mania

D-Press, why don't you tell me your goal with the suspension mods? What's your highest priority?

Tein SS-P has steel pillow ball mounts that replace the top hats. The stock top hats have a lot of rubber bushings that filter out noises, vibrations, and harshness from reaching the cabin. If you replace these rubber parts with steel, you'll introduce a lot of NVH into the car and the passengers. Because of the increased NVH, you'll feel that SS-P is even stiffer than regular SS, although they're not.
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #28

Well....If I go with the coilover SS-P route, it's mostly for the height adjust and damping features and also it's compatible with EDFC...

Before saving money for that expensive kit, I might give a try to the Eibach Pro-Kit first....

thechamp, your says signature says that you have a 06 sedan with Eibach Pro-Kit?? Do you have pics of that setup??
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #29
DIY Mania

If you only need height and damping adjustabilities and you MUST have coilovers, Tein SS (not -P) will be sufficient for you.

Are you very tolerant to rough or at least, very firm ride quality? Are the roads around you in good condition? Are you going to track the car?

If you answer no to any of the above, believe me, don't get coilovers.

Especially if you're not going to track the car, EDFC will be a waste. Most people I know adjust the damping maybe once, twice, three times at most and then just leave them alone. This applies to Tein or Koni shocks.

In my opinion and experience, most people need lowering springs and shocks because they mostly need the more compliant ride quality for their daily drivers. They also don't want to slam their cars, because it means more damages, scrapes, etc can happen to the car.

Did you also know that Koni shocks allow some height adjustment besides rebound?

I installed the suspension during Labor day weekend and haven't had a chance to snap some pics. I'll do that some time this weekend and post them here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in