Warped Powerslots after 13k - can these be resurfaced? - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #1

Warped Powerslots after 13k - can these be resurfaced?

I installed Powerslots on my front axle only, paired them with Hawk HPS pads like EVERYone on this board talks about. My tires were replaced with 17" 225/45 Kumo ASX. I have to admit, there was very little improvement over the OEM but I was just hoping the rotors wouldn't get warped every 10,000 miles like the stocks.

Well, 8 months and 13,000 miles later, my steering wheel is vibrating violently at 75mph+ and regular braking feels to be fading...anyone know what i can do? Can these slotted brakes be resurfaced?

and I was going to install the rear discs and hps pads (purchased already), but am now thinking twice...
du_ma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #2
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
sorry to hear that man. i'm surprised your rotors warped after only 13k miles! i had a different experience with my rotors/pads. my powerslots worked great for over 2 years and approx 30K miles. my ceramicool ceramic brake pads started to make intermittent squealing noise after 2 years of driving. i decided to replace the pads with akebono pro-act ceramics. the squealing noise became WORSE!!!

i took my car to a local tire/brake shop and asked them if they could resurface my rotors. they told me that they don't resurface slotted rotors. i didn't believe them so i asked another shop and they told me the same thing!

i decided to buy ebc slotted rotors to match the akebonos and i have no noise or brake dusting issue. this combo works great for my daily driving habits.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #3
Doc
J35S004

I have Cryo treated Powerslots
at all corners with stock pads
40 something K miles. Dropping
anchor is absolutely no prob.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 19th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #4

so anyone have any experience actually getting these resurfaced?

some people online say that not installing the rear pair, the fronts are worked harder and get worn out faster, but i doubt if there's any truth behind that.
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #5
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Send a message via AIM to implayaz9 Send a message via Yahoo to implayaz9
u cannot resurface the slotted rotors.
implayaz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #6

so it's pretty much game over...i'll have to buy a new pair of front rotors all together if that's the case.

i have to go against popular concensus on this board and say in my personal experience, powerslots are junk.
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #7
Doc
J35S004

Sorry you had that experience.

Mebbe this is something we should
be talking about. My cryo treated
parts have performed flawlessly
with OE pads.

Is it a cryo treatment or not
situation? Are the Hawk pads
warping the rotors?

Comments please...
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #8
346hp/300tq @ 4psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by implayaz9 View Post
u cannot resurface the slotted rotors.
nonsense, of course you can. can you enlighten me and explain why you cant? ive had my powerslots for almost 2 years and had both the front and rear discs resurfaced once already.

there is absolutely no difference in resurfacing a normal disc vs a slotted one. the brake machine is going to take off the same amount of material either way.
04accordcpe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #9
thread killer

Send a message via AIM to vtecricebox
yeah still don't understand why people say that...
vtecricebox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #10

what? resurfaced it? mine came with instructions and said DO NOT RESURFACE. haha oh well, guess you can if people have done it
asnstyle22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 20th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #11
Doc
J35S004

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnstyle22 View Post
what? resurfaced it? mine came with instructions and said DO NOT RESURFACE. haha oh well, guess you can if people have done it
Don't show that note to your brake man.
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #12

i've done a few brake jobs for my car and my friends car's and i've had the Kumhos you speak of which i liked. I have no idea personally about the powerslots, but have you looked into whether the tires were balanced correctly or if the wheels were torqued right? Cause i know from personal expierence overtighting your rims could warp your rotors.
slee818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #13
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Send a message via AIM to implayaz9 Send a message via Yahoo to implayaz9
i was told by my mechanic as well as a performance shop that u couldnt. may be we can do the slotted ones but not the drilled ones..
implayaz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #14

That is an excellent point - one that I've heard a few times as I asked around about my brake vibrations. I am going to take my car in to get rebalanced and make sure they torque my lugs properly first before I judge the brake disc condition.

To clarify, I talked to tech support at Powerslot, fairly helpful and very knowledgable guy. Slotted rotors CAN be resurfaced, as long as they are precise to the thousandths of an inch. Most resurfacing devices (called brake lathes) are set to turn to the hundredths of an inch. Powerslots need to be resurf'd by 0.003" - the tough part for me is finding a shop that uses a bench lathe (discs are removed and put on this bench machine, which is powered separately) and will actually attempt to perform.

In paying for labor to have this redone, it is in my better interest to just replace the discs/pads I have up front - sucks but it's a lesson i had to learn. The shop that installed my brake discs and pads did not properly measure the lateral runout of the discs after installation (they actually told me they do not do this for disc installations). It's a reputable shop in Houston, Tx too so I was surprised. Powerslot's documentation says:

"If a brake rotor assembled lateral runout (LRO) exceedes the vehicle manufacture’s maximum allowable specification it will cause a brake rotor thickness variation to develop in the brake rotor over time, usually between 3,000 - 7,000 miles. This thickness variation issue can cause brake judder and should not be confused with thermal heat brake rotor distortion."

Quote:
Originally Posted by slee818 View Post
i've done a few brake jobs for my car and my friends car's and i've had the Kumhos you speak of which i liked. I have no idea personally about the powerslots, but have you looked into whether the tires were balanced correctly or if the wheels were torqued right? Cause i know from personal expierence overtighting your rims could warp your rotors.

Last edited by du_ma; September 24th, 2007 at 11:57 PM..
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #15
M

how do you guys warp your OEM rotors at 10K miles!?? i've been driving on these OEM rotors for 41K miles and they're not warped yet. And I brake pretty aggressively at times too. I've only had to replace my brake pads so far.
imnotmatt1189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #16

You've never seen the technical service bulletin on 7th gen 6-speed rotors being warped? It's happened to almost every 6-speed driver out there. I had to get my factories resurfaced (for free mind you b/c of the TSB) 3 times before I said screw it and bought aftermarket...look what good it did me though

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotmatt1189 View Post
how do you guys warp your OEM rotors at 10K miles!?? i've been driving on these OEM rotors for 41K miles and they're not warped yet. And I brake pretty aggressively at times too. I've only had to replace my brake pads so far.
Old September 25th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #17
M

Quote:
Originally Posted by du_ma View Post
You've never seen the technical service bulletin on 7th gen 6-speed rotors being warped? It's happened to almost every 6-speed driver out there. I had to get my factories resurfaced (for free mind you b/c of the TSB) 3 times before I said screw it and bought aftermarket...look what good it did me though
thats really weird... cuz i'm 6mt too... i haven't resurfaced my rotors yet. i didn't even resurface them when i got new hawk hps brake pads.
imnotmatt1189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #18
Git-r-Done

I just had my front ones replaced under warranty a couple weeks ago. They had heat spots and slight cracking, per the dealer.
06 AV6 06MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #19
Bobby Lane Racing

i had my oem rotors for 55k+ miles before i switched them out. I resurface my rotors everytime i replace pads.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 25th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #20
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
Sounds like someone didn't do the proper rotor break in method..

30K on my Powerslots... no problems AT ALL!
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 27th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #21

Yeah but where the hell do you go to speed up and slow down like that over and over again

directions said something like...drive up to 40mph and come almost to a stop for a total of 6 times, then drive up to 65mph or so 3 times. the only place i only do that is the highway but i'm pretty sure the police wouldn't like that...

i did try though, on local roads late at night but was pretty hesitant about the whole process.

Quote:

E=DV8;1217193]Sounds like someone didn't do the proper rotor break in method..

30K on my Powerslots... no problems AT ALL!
Old September 27th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #22

where did you go to get the resurfacing done? Honda dealer? Actually, powerslot stated that you cannot have the same amount (typically 0.03") shaved off - should be 0.003"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04accordcpe View Post
nonsense, of course you can. can you enlighten me and explain why you cant? ive had my powerslots for almost 2 years and had both the front and rear discs resurfaced once already.

there is absolutely no difference in resurfacing a normal disc vs a slotted one. the brake machine is going to take off the same amount of material either way.
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #23
AV6.com Veteran

hawk pads are great pads, but at a cost. they eat up your rotors for breakfast.
kayotik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in