Springs Vs. Coilovers - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #1

Springs Vs. Coilovers

Though obviously different methods, would anyone recommend getting springs over coilovers?

I'm not very knowledgable about either so what is everyones opinion about this?

ride quality? price over value? etc...
v6 6speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #2
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
Springs only setup, i would only recommend Eibach Prokit and Tein H-Tech. Nothing else. The other sets drop the car too low, and you will need to get shocks in conjunction. while the previous 2 listed are fine working on its own. Springs only setup does not give adjustability, agressive drop. But it's much cheaper, and for me, it's better for my daily driving style. I can't go too low in my area.

Coil overs are more expensive, much more expensive. But it gives you adjustability on heigh, damper, and gives you the drop you want.
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8 View Post
Springs only setup, i would only recommend Eibach Prokit and Tein H-Tech. Nothing else. The other sets drop the car too low, and you will need to get shocks in conjunction. while the previous 2 listed are fine working on its own. Springs only setup does not give adjustability, agressive drop. But it's much cheaper, and for me, it's better for my daily driving style. I can't go too low in my area.

Coil overs are more expensive, much more expensive. But it gives you adjustability on heigh, damper, and gives you the drop you want.
thanks for the info, what kind of springs do you use?

Old September 26th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #4
Bobby Lane Racing

get eibach pro kit. it rides like stock.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #5
DV8
Hella Functional

Send a message via ICQ to DV8 Send a message via AIM to DV8 Send a message via MSN to DV8
I have eibach pro kit, with stock shocks. It was a 150 dollar lowering setup. I've been using it since 2003, and it's holding up perfectly right now.

I had Tein SS in 2002, but it blew after 1 year, and after that, i didn't have a use of coil overs, since i didn't really need to go that low, nor need the adjust ability. So I went just the spring route @ 150 bucks vs coil overs around 900 bucks or so. I'm sure you can get coilovers for much cheaper now days, but it's still a bit more expensive.

Last edited by DV8; September 26th, 2007 at 01:32 PM..
DV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #6

Quote:
I have eibach pro kit, with stock shocks. It was a 150 dollar lowering setup. I've been using it since 2003, and it's holding up perfectly right now.

I had Tein SS in 2002, but it blew after 1 year, and after that, i didn't have a use of coil overs, since i didn't really need to go that low, nor need the adjust ability. So I went just the spring route @ 150 bucks vs coil overs around 900 bucks or so. I'm sure you can get coilovers for much cheaper now days, but it's still a bit more expensive.
yeah i have the same situation... how much lower than stock are we actually talking about?
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #7

oh i actually found it on ebay...

Lowering Range:

Front: 1.3 in
Rear: 1.2 in
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #8
KSU Owls

Send a message via AIM to Clemson538
Quote:

H&R Springs www.tirerack.com.. 1.5F 1.3R .. its just a hint less then the eibach..
Clemson538 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #9
I feel da need 4 6-speeds

Send a message via ICQ to flyvtec Send a message via AIM to flyvtec Send a message via Yahoo to flyvtec
I have Comptech sport springs, Koni shocks, Comptech rear sway bar, SPC rear camber adjuster as my lowering setup. I've had this setup since early 2004 and have had no problems. The ride is firm on rough roads but perfect on smooth roads. My shoes are 225/40/18 on 18x7.5 48et wheels.

I've thought about spending the money and upgrading to Tein coilovers but I'm happy with my current setup.

I would like to drive a car with a coilover setup to find out if I'm really missing anything.

My ride:

flyvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #10

lookin good man, that's about as low as i'm lookin to go.
i was looking at my car today and it looked like a 4x4... i was walking uphill to where my car was parked and i could see the car behind my car by just looking under it... that's disappointing hah.
Old September 28th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #11
DaLab

i have the tein coilover set up, i'm sittin very low, but i love it. i had tein springs and was satisfied with the ride but wanted to be lower so i switched to the coilovers, i have tein basic damper set...lovin it so far

LyRiKaL_DaLab

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LyRiKaL_CM8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #12
Original BBQFETUS

Send a message via AIM to kingdizzy01
so if i get the eibach pro kit would i need anything else to lower my car? shocks/struts/camber kit, etc. like thread starter, im not lookin to drop the **** out of my ride, but i hate the 4x4 look.
kingdizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #13
DIY Mania

If you don't want to upgrade the shocks, you only need the springs alone. Don't worry about camber. As long as you get the car aligned and the toe settings corrected, you're golden.

Of course, IMO, lowering a car without upgrading the shocks won't give you better handling. You'll only get lowered look.
thechamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #14
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp View Post
If you don't want to upgrade the shocks, you only need the springs alone. Don't worry about camber. As long as you get the car aligned and the toe settings corrected, you're golden.

Of course, IMO, lowering a car without upgrading the shocks won't give you better handling. You'll only get lowered look.
actually the higher spring rate my h&r race springs gave me helped me alot on handling.

with my stock shocks, i took 45 mph ramps at 90-95 mph fine and when i got my koni yellows, at softest settings i could do at most 85 mph.

the tires of course make a big difference

to OP: if you want to get rid of the 4x4 look and looking to spend under $400, go for springs/shocks setup

if you want adjustable height, dampening and most likely better handling, go with coilovers - you'll be looking to spend $700-$1000 on that.
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #15
Mr. B

so i had a question...i have the hfp suspension added on, from the dealer, when i bought the car...and if i wanted better handling i would have to just change the shocks? but if i change just the shocks would my ride height change? or is that solely controlled by the springs?
bhavik721 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #16
DIY Mania

Higher speed which you take a certain turn at doesn't translate to better handling. Of course, it's all up to each one of you.

But damper and spring are pure physics, plain and simple. If you compress a spring, without damper, the spring will oscilate indefinitely when you release it. The stiffer the spring, the stronger its forces to continue oscilate.

Damper's function is to damp the spring's force to oscilate. In short, damper's function is to control the spring's forces. The damper will also have to work harder to control stiffer spring's forces.

Now take a look at your stock shocks/dampers. They are designed with lighter stock spring rates. They work very well with the stock springs, because they were engineered together.

Now you replace the springs with lowering springs which have higher to much higher spring rates. What happens with the dampers? They can no longer do a good job at damping your spring's forces. The higher the spring rate, the worse the overall suspension performance if you keep the stock shocks.

If you have mild lowering springs, like Prokits, HTechs, H&R Sports, stock shocks might still be acceptable.

But if you run H&R or Neuspeed Race, Tein STech, Eibach Sportline, or the like, your suspension actually performs worse than at stock height. This is why the spring manufacturers always recommend aftermarket shocks for these springs.

Most shocks also work optimally at a certain length range. If you lower your car so much, the stock shocks are out of this optimal range. It means, they won't perform as well as when they're at stock length.

stupidaznmunkey, you feel that your car handles better than stock, because you are riding on your bumpstops. When you take a corner, your suspension is at full compression and has nowhere else to go. That's why you feel your car is very firm and well planted. The real test is when you hit a bump mid corner. I guarantee you, at 90 mph, your car will snap into oversteer and lose composure. Don't ask me how I know.

Again, it's all up to you, but springs and shocks work according to the laws of physics and there's no way to cheat it.
Old October 8th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #17
DIY Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik721 View Post
so i had a question...i have the hfp suspension added on, from the dealer, when i bought the car...and if i wanted better handling i would have to just change the shocks? but if i change just the shocks would my ride height change? or is that solely controlled by the springs?
If you want to improve your handling, get good aftermarket dampers like Koni Sport/SP3.

Ride height is solely determined by the springs, unless you have height adjustable shocks like Koni Sport/SP3.
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to sLoPoKe7thGen
Ok, so i'm planning on getting the eibach pro kit. This will allow me to have the same ride near stock correct? Also, this won't improve my handling at all? But at the same time it won't make it worse? Is this correct?
sLoPoKe7thGen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #19
DIY Mania

Ride quality will be near stock, correct.

Just IMO, as long as you never get too close to the car's limit, you're OK. Accord's stock shocks are pretty weak. Your ride quality will be soft, but you also can't make emergency manouver as safe as before, when the car's stock.

IMO, if you can't afford aftermarket shocks, don't lower your car.
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Ride quality will be near stock, correct.

Just IMO, as long as you never get too close to the car's limit, you're OK. Accord's stock shocks are pretty weak. Your ride quality will be soft, but you also can't make emergency manouver as safe as before, when the car's stock.

IMO, if you can't afford aftermarket shocks, don't lower your car.

my cars at 100k and a mechanic quoted me 1,200 dollars for 2 shocks on my car, this including installation. Does this seem right to anyone?!?!

Also, say if I lowered with no supporting shocks, and I did drive on turns aggressive. What would happen?
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #21
DIY Mania

Well, first thing first.

100k miles shocks are usually done. Most Honda shocks last only about 80-100k miles. After that, they just can't handle the stock springs, let alone lowered springs.

Second, $1200 for 2 shocks is just highway robbery. Let's see, Koni Sport or SP3 cost about $600 out the door. I usually charge $120 to install shocks and/or springs. It means $720 installed, with pricey Koni shocks.

Agressive driving on dead shocks, even at stock height, is just plain dangerous. Your car could lose traction when you need it most, emergency manouvers at freeway speed and during braking.
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #22
LaLaLaLa

Send a message via AIM to stupidaznmunkey
Quote:
stupidaznmunkey, you feel that your car handles better than stock, because you are riding on your bumpstops. When you take a corner, your suspension is at full compression and has nowhere else to go. That's why you feel your car is very firm and well planted. The real test is when you hit a bump mid corner. I guarantee you, at 90 mph, your car will snap into oversteer and lose composure. Don't ask me how I know.

Again, it's all up to you, but springs and shocks work according to the laws of physics and there's no way to cheat it.
yeah of course i was on my bumpstops! my shocks were so blown by the time i took em out that the bumpstops were already split and raped to the max from having my springs/shocks compressed fully.

thats why i also dont recommend (for those who have coilovers) to drive with their suspension at full stiff - at least not take corners since the roads are not like tracks which are smooth, but have bumps. i dont ask kuz i know too

oversteer almost owned me...
stupidaznmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Well, first thing first.

100k miles shocks are usually done. Most Honda shocks last only about 80-100k miles. After that, they just can't handle the stock springs, let alone lowered springs.

Second, $1200 for 2 shocks is just highway robbery. Let's see, Koni Sport or SP3 cost about $600 out the door. I usually charge $120 to install shocks and/or springs. It means $720 installed, with pricey Koni shocks.

Agressive driving on dead shocks, even at stock height, is just plain dangerous. Your car could lose traction when you need it most, emergency manouvers at freeway speed and during braking.
ok so I can get 1200 for all 4 oem shocks including installation. Are these shocks going to be able to hold up with my eibach pro kit if I do get them, and be able to drive aggressive corners as well? Sorry about all the noob questions. Thanks in advance.
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #24
DIY Mania

Dude, just get Koni Sport or SP3. The stock shocks aren't gonna work too well with your Eibach.

Koni shocks are about $600. Have a shop that's familiar with Hondas install them and you'll spend way less than $1200.
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #25
Envious of J35's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLoPoKe7thGen View Post
my cars at 100k and a mechanic quoted me 1,200 dollars for 2 shocks on my car, this including installation. Does this seem right to anyone?!?!

Also, say if I lowered with no supporting shocks, and I did drive on turns aggressive. What would happen?
PM me for slightly used oem struts. pics are posted in the for sale forum....btw is this for a 7th gen coupe?

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=90812
AcCoCuOpReD-04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #26
Bubba Army Member

If you can afford coilovers, they're worth the money
Jomama19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #27

well i'm set on coilovers...

now the real question is
Tein Basics or tein ss?
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #28
DIY Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6 6speed View Post
well i'm set on coilovers...

now the real question is
Tein Basics or tein ss?
I had Tein Basic on my 05 TL before and I removed them after only 3000 miles. They were real stiff and made my car rattle like crazy. The ride quality was so stiff I didn't want to drive it anymore.

Now Tein SS has adjustable damping, but it still has the same springs as the Basic does. You probably can soften it a little, but it's still going to be very firm.

If you're not going to track your car, IMO adjustable coilovers will be too stiff.

You might want to try riding in a car with Tein and drive it at some rough roads. If the stiffness is OK for you, then you might be OK with them.
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #29
DIY Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomama19 View Post
If you can afford coilovers, they're worth the money
Coilovers and lowering springs/shocks are generally geared towards different purpose. Coilovers usually have really high spring rates and this in turn will make the ride quality very stiff. Sometimes too stiff for non-track use.

Springs and shocks are generally intended for more comfortable ride and more suitable for street use because of the lower and progressive spring rates.

There's a reason, too, that Tein claims most if not all their coilovers are for "off-road" use only.
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #30

Just got the Eibach Pro kit for my ride yesterday and i love it so far!! Parts and install $350. i plan on getting Koni shocks soon.

Last edited by BEERNUTT5045; October 18th, 2007 at 11:39 AM..
BEERNUTT5045 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in