Rear Strut bar - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #1
The Glory

Send a message via AIM to Datt_nukka
Rear Strut bar

Wassup ive seen that some guys on here have rear sway bars and rear strut bars..i havent found any rear strut bars..are they used from 6th gen?..like if i got this 98-02 rear strut bar, would it fit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...spagenameZWDVW
Datt_nukka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 29th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #2
wah?

um i dont think we need any rear strut bars. its actually already linked by the frame. you see hatchbacks like the eg,ek civic and rsx have them because the struts dont attach to a beam like ours.
neoryan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 29th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Formerly EPS Sniper

Send a message via AIM to ATX 6Speed
That would be correct ^^

From what I've heard, though, there is still a VERY minor chance of flex that can occur when a high amount of force is being fed through the suspension.

Regarding fitment, there are two users on here that have the 98-02 Accord rear lower brace. To install it takes a bit of finessing to get the bar behind the sway bar, then the two very large bolts that go through it. Make sure to mark the position of those bolts and all relative parts to possibly avoid an alignment.

Why should you get this brace? You might feel a BIT more tightness in the rear, but it is more for rear end bling. Civics and Integras are known for really showing off these bars in the back. For our cars it's a bit less obvious, but still prominent enough to warrant the 40 dollar investment.

Long story short, buy the 98-02 Accord bar if you want some rear end bling.
ATX 6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old September 29th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #4
The Glory

yea i figured it wouldnt make that much of a diff. so should i get that one that i posted? and should i go with a comptech sway bar or an original TL sway?
Old September 30th, 2007, 12:56 AM   #5
Formerly EPS Sniper

I think the one you posted is fine. As long as it's for a 98-02 Accord you should be good. I know that DC sports, OBX, and Megan Racing make them as well.

Regarding the sway bar, I say do the TL rear sway. It's MUCH cheaper and believe me-going from 14-20 is a huge difference. 20-22 won't be a big change and isn't enough to warrant the higher cost.
Old September 30th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eps sniper View Post
I think the one you posted is fine. As long as it's for a 98-02 Accord you should be good. I know that DC sports, OBX, and Megan Racing make them as well.

Regarding the sway bar, I say do the TL rear sway. It's MUCH cheaper and believe me-going from 14-20 is a huge difference. 20-22 won't be a big change and isn't enough to warrant the higher cost.
Having just swaped to the TL rear-sway, I can say this, the rear-sway that comes on our cars feels like a TV antenna once you've held the TL one.
Half-Breed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoryan7 View Post
um i dont think we need any rear strut bars. its actually already linked by the frame. you see hatchbacks like the eg,ek civic and rsx have them because the struts dont attach to a beam like ours.
Yeah, this is just like my Corolla. I saw that all the Civic and Integy drivers had them, so I got one for my car. When I went to have it installed, the mechanic and I were both puzzled why the damn thing was so short. Both of the lower arm-like things returning from the back wheels in toward the car ended up on a thick beam, their attachment points were only like 1-3 inches apart. So we put it on anyways. I mean, there was some extra thread on the bolts, so why not put it on? In the end, I had something shiny on the underside of my car, yay!
Half-Breed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #8
wah?

are we talking about a strut bar or a lower tie bar now? and get the TL-S sway bar iirc they are 22mm
neoryan7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #9
The Glory

yea my bad it is a lower tie bar..i just noticed i wrote the wrong thing
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #10
Formerly EPS Sniper

For the sway bar, get the TL one. It's the big bar that you won't see that makes a nice difference in handling.

Honda never made a lower tie bar for our car. Aftermarket companies, however, have and they are a nice way to make your car look a bit more "serious" from the back.
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #11
M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Breed View Post
Yeah, this is just like my Corolla. I saw that all the Civic and Integy drivers had them, so I got one for my car. When I went to have it installed, the mechanic and I were both puzzled why the damn thing was so short. Both of the lower arm-like things returning from the back wheels in toward the car ended up on a thick beam, their attachment points were only like 1-3 inches apart. So we put it on anyways. I mean, there was some extra thread on the bolts, so why not put it on? In the end, I had something shiny on the underside of my car, yay!
pic?
imnotmatt1189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #12
Formerly EPS Sniper

This image kind of illustrates why a Civic benefits more from the bar than we do:

Once I get my Legend calipers on, I might start looking for one of these babies.
Old September 30th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #13
Mirage Representative

Send a message via AIM to Kuya Master Send a message via MSN to Kuya Master Send a message via Yahoo to Kuya Master
The rear strut bar I installed on my SC2 made a bit of a difference.
Kuya Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #14
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Send a message via AIM to implayaz9 Send a message via Yahoo to implayaz9
so the 98-02 rear strut bar works on the 03's??
implayaz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #15
User #4002

Send a message via ICQ to wildpikachu Send a message via AIM to wildpikachu Send a message via MSN to wildpikachu Send a message via Yahoo to wildpikachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by eps sniper View Post
This image kind of illustrates why a Civic benefits more from the bar than we do:

Once I get my Legend calipers on, I might start looking for one of these babies.
they sometime use an ASR subframe brace, to keep the subframe from ripping because too weak to handle swaybars bigger than 15mm (don't quote me).
wildpikachu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #16
Mirage Representative

Send a message via AIM to Kuya Master Send a message via MSN to Kuya Master Send a message via Yahoo to Kuya Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by implayaz9 View Post
so the 98-02 rear strut bar works on the 03's??
You need to check the bolt pattern on the rear strut towers on both 6th and 7th gens before you do it to make sure the brackets fit. When I did the rear strut bar for my SC2, I took my friend's Civic rear bar because it was longer than the extra front bar I bought for the SC2, and just bought the custom brackets made for it. All you need are brackets, a bar long enough, and some nuts. If the 6th Gen bolt pattern matches, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work on the 7th Gen, other than clearance?

Here's how you're probably going to have to do yours. Expect to do some cutting. http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=87535

Another thing to think about is if the 6th Generation ones would fit, don't you think that they would be selling them as 7th Generation parts on eBay as well?
Old September 30th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #17
neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Send a message via AIM to implayaz9 Send a message via Yahoo to implayaz9
i think we all are talkin about the lower tie bars..or at least i was.. but that bar u made looks sick.. do u mind makin me one?
implayaz9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #18
Mirage Representative

Lower tie bars are way easy, so as long as you have the same suspension setup. I'd have one on my SC2 if it were possible, but the rear suspension is different. Anyway, all you need are the bracket hinges, and a bar and bolts. Unless they changed the 7th Gen rear suspension type, all that might be needed is that the extension bolts be extended out a bit further (I believe the 7th generation is a little wider). Here's one right here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...QQcmdZViewItem
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #19
Formerly EPS Sniper

Just to clear up any confusion, there are NO rear strut tower bars for the 03-07 Accord. A strut tower bar connects the top of the struts to one another like in the engine bay. There is physically no room to connect the tops of the rear strut assemblies together.

The product in question is called the "rear lower tie bar." The 98-02 Accord rear lower tie bar has been documented to work on the 7th gen Accord. The 6th gen Accord's rear suspension is very similar to the 7th gen, making the fit pretty good.

In conclusion:

Rear sway bar: 04-07 TL 6MT (20 MM), Comptech (22 MM), Neuspeed, etc.
Rear lower tie bar: The one in the eBay auction referenced above, DC Sports, OBX, or Megan. This should be for a 98-02 Accord and will fit the 7th gen.
Rear strut tower brace: Does not exist. The tops of the rear struts are connected to a solid piece of metal that runs the width of the back seat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in