Opinions on this brake kit.... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007) > 7G HONDA ACCORD WHEELS, TIRES, & SUSPENSION DISCUSSION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM   #1
7yr / 120K

Opinions on this brake kit....

Hey guys. I'm looking for some advice on doing a complete brake job on my car. I plan to replace the rotors and pads at all 4 corners. I originally was thinking of an upgrade by going with Brembo blanks and Hawk pads... but then I found this kit online and wanted to get your thoughts on it.
Brake Planet Brake Kit

It appears to be a direct replacement for OEM but not actually OEM. It also seems to be somewhat cheap(price wise) in comparison to brand name/performance parts. Generally you get what you pay for and I really don't want to skimp on brakes... but if these are of OEM quality and will perform well, then I may be willing to go this route. So, I was wondering if any of you have heard of or had experience with Brake Planet. Do you all have any advice relating to these particular parts? From reading the info I am leaning toward trying this kit out. They also seem to have a good Guarantee/Warranty on there systems.

Lastly, if someone could direct me to a DIY for replacing the rotors that would be great. I've done pads on other cars in the past, but never rotors.

Yeh or Ney? Thanks in advance!
Celestion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:47 PM   #2
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

The semi metallic pads are going to create alot of dust and have a good chance of being quite noisy. OEM is organic although for normal use I have been using Friction Master ceramic pads on customer and my own vehicles (other than my accord which has a BBK) with good sucess.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:14 PM   #3
7yr / 120K

Thanks for the reply. I originally thought about going all out on the (Power Slot slotted or Cryo-Treated)rotors and (ceramic)pads, but decided against it.

Just a little background on why I am facing this dilehma.
As many of you already know, our OEM brakes suck! I have 80K on my car right now and I've always had issues with them fading and warping. They were resurfaced very early on(fortunately on a good will repair by the dealer) and then had them done again a while back when I got my new pads(dealer bent me over this time). Following that service they didn't go hardly 10K before going downhill. Ever since they have been F'd and I slowly got used to the vibration and have been ignoring the issue for a while now. I just recently took my car in for work and had them take a look at the brakes. Just like I had thought, they suggested a complete resurface. Well I wasn't about to let them charge me up the a*s again so I figured it was time for me to get dirty and do a little DIY car repair. I could get new parts, rather than a resurfacing, and have some fun in the process. I should have just gone this route the first time.

Anyways, I was going to do an upgrade this time but my one issue now with going aftermarket is that I'm not sure how much longer I'll have the car. Performance brakes this late in the game may be a waste. That is why I was thinking of buying this particular kit. It's cheap and easy and will most likely remedy the brake issues that have been paguing me all this time, at least until I part with the car.

I plan to get them for x-mas so hopefully more will chime in prior to me making decision. If I do go with the Brake Planet kit I will be sure to let you all know how the install went and how they perform.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:24 PM   #4
"King of Search"

Stay away from that brake kit. Remeber these words "You get what you pay for" If you were unhappy with OEM your gonna be even more unhappy with an OEM knock off.
JHAWK13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:26 PM   #5
"King of Search"

I personally would recomend brembo blanks and Akebono ceramic brake pads. (inexspensive, quiet, and very little brake dust)
JHAWK13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:26 PM   #6
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

From Advance Auto Parts

Your shopping cart

Del Description Availability Price Qty Total

Part No.
96795RGS Raybestos 96795RGS ROTOR ASSEMBLY Ships in 1 day
$30.99
$61.98

Part No.
CMX787 Friction Master BRAKE PADS CERAMIC FRTMS Buy online,
pickup today!
Ships in 1 day
$45.48
$45.48

Subtotal: $107.46

Don't forget these: Rear pads/shoes, Brake Rotor, Brake Caliper Bolt/Pin, Brake Hardware
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:32 PM   #7
Tee-Ooh-Double-Dee

Wow, that is cheap and they do seem to have a very good warranty and replacement guarantee. I say be the guinea pig and let us know how they work out. If they're decent I might just do the same.

Though I agree that most times you get what you pay for, sometimes there's companies that surprise you. I had R1 Concept drilled/slotted rotors on my CL-S and they were 10x better than expected, though people told me not to get them. Once I put them on people were all asking me where and how much.

So do it and report back!
Accordian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:20 PM   #8
7yr / 120K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAWK13 View Post
Stay away from that brake kit. Remeber these words "You get what you pay for" If you were unhappy with OEM your gonna be even more unhappy with an OEM knock off.
That is very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAWK13 View Post
I personally would recomend brembo blanks and Akebono ceramic brake pads. (inexspensive, quiet, and very little brake dust)
TIRERACK
YOUR CART

Brembo Replacement Rotor Front fitment
for 2004 Honda Accord Cpe EX V6 6SP
In Stock 012345678 $59.00 $118.00

Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads Front fitment
for 2004 Honda Accord Cpe EX V6 6SP
In Stock 012345678 $54.00 $54.00

Total: $172.00 for just the front!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian View Post
Wow, that is cheap and they do seem to have a very good warranty and replacement guarantee. I say be the guinea pig and let us know how they work out. If they're decent I might just do the same.

So do it and report back!
So you want me to be the test subject eh

I'm beginning to realize that $110 for the entire front and rear setup is scary cheap... Advance Autoparts could be another option which isn't too bad. There are just soo many combinations and materials to work with. I'm just not sure which I will be happiest with. I am somewhat concerned with price... but most important is safety and a setup that won't let me down.

Thanks, I'll keep you all posted.
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #9

autozone

duralast rotors 3 yr warranty 120 for all the rotors
Duralast Gold Ceramic Pads 38 front 28 rear

I did this setup so I can save money for later route, and i was surprised how well it works... way better than stock. You can also just return your rotors at the 3 yr mark and get new ones no questions asked, and get new pads anytime. so you're good for a long long time
I have a 03v6mt for some reason the front rotors and pads were found under 2004. They fit Perfectly.

oh yeah if this is your first time, dont forget a manual impact screwdriver or impact screwdriver for those rotor retaining screws, and put some anti seize on the screws when you put ur new ones on for next time.
slee818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 25th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #10
7yr / 120K

UPDATE!

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I'm reviving the thread due to a gift from Santa!

Prostop platinum rotors and Prostop ceramic pads

I got the entire setup for Christmas and they are going on this weekend. Looking forward to doing the brake job myself this go round(last time got bent over by the stealership). It will be a nice lil project for me and I will save some money on labor in the process. Mainly I'm excited to finally get rid of the OEM junk components with the accompanying judder and fade.

I think I may be the first on here to try these out so once I get them on and broken in I will report back to you all with my findings. Hopefully this setup will work out well.
Old December 25th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #11

goodluck...dont forget the brake cleaner, u dont want to inhale all those fine cancerous brake particles. One can will be enough for all four, some brake disc quiet and caliper lube grease will cut down the possibility of noise. Like I said above i got the duralast pads and rotors, and i think i read somwhere that the prostop line is the same thing, they're both just rebranded for their respective retail chains. I've used the prostop on my friends accord and duralast one mine, and we've both been satisfied with them.

the rotors are pretty easy if you already know the pads.

theres two more large bolts on the caliper facing towards the engine. take those two out, hang or set the calipers on sumthing so they dont hang ont he brake lines. once the caliper is out of the way, the only thing holding ur rotors in are two philips retaining screws, which i recommend not to even bother trying to screw out by hand, you'll just strip the screws. Use a manual impact screwdriver, i think its like 15 bucks at lowes and like 25 at sears. Plus its fun to use. if u dont feel like gettin that pm me and i'll tell you the guranteed but not recommended way.

edit: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=impact+driver
slee818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #12
be JDM as you can be

Brakes

Never buy afermarket!!! I have worked at a Honda Dealer for 5 years and have never had a customer that is happy with aftermarket pads/rotors. They are noisy and rotors warp easy. Do yourself a favor and just do OEM. I say Ney to the Brembos
ILoveMYHonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old December 27th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #13
7yr / 120K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMYHonda View Post
Never buy afermarket!!! I have worked at a Honda Dealer for 5 years and have never had a customer that is happy with aftermarket pads/rotors. They are noisy and rotors warp easy. Do yourself a favor and just do OEM. I say Ney to the Brembos
I would generally agree with you to stay with OEM brake parts but having had numerous brake issues with this car already with just 80K on the ODO, I decided to go a different route this go round. I even checked on buying OEM and still doing it myself, but the Honda rotors and pads were nearly double the cost of the aftermarkets. No clue why???

I have yet to be happy with the Honda brakes on my 6spd coupe so hopefully this will do the trick for me. Either way I can't see it being any worse then the crap that I have put up with thus far... a variety of warping, fading, juddering issues for most of the life of my car. Not sure what combination of improper breakin, my driving style or just crap parts, but I am done with OEM for the rest of the time I have this car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in