Oxygen sensor?! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #1

Oxygen sensor?!

So my engine light starts coming on and off after the first oil change done by the shop at the stealership. I brought it for them to check it out today and they tell me i need to replace the oxygen sensor and i should do it asap. So i ask him how much it would be..and he tells me $450... lol Can anyone tell me exactly what the oxygen sensor does(i know it was mentioned somewhere on the forum before but can't find it) and if anyone had it replaced before/how much$$?

Oh and btw.. does anyone know how to get stains out of the carpet? lol lets just say, driving drunk people home isn't all that great.
Clipsz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #2
keepin' it OG

Send a message via AIM to Kiet
o2 sensor reads the air fuel mixture coming out from the exhaust. all vehicles are required to have them i believe after a certain year. you can a new one installed for less than 100.
Kiet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #3

i have a v6 and have 2 upstream sensors and 2 downstream. the two upstream, cheapest i found was 100 a piece at autozone, the two downstream i think around 50 each. they're pretty easy to replace, except i had the upstream one by the firewall and it was a bisnatch, just cause of the tight space. I recommend, DIY, and do it soon cause if ur o2 sensor is bad ur car is gonna run rich, meaning noticable loss in gas mileage. 02 sensor wrench is like 8 bucks if i remember correctly. which will make ur life easier, unless you can get i think it is a 22mm wrench onto the sensor. i'll explain/help you further later, but i gotta get to class. btw get the code scanned for free at any autoparts store, so you can determine which sensor you're gonna be working with.
slee818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiet View Post
o2 sensor reads the air fuel mixture coming out from the exhaust. all vehicles are required to have them i believe after a certain year. you can a new one installed for less than 100.
Oh thanks. When you say a new one installed less than 100 you mean as DIY or a shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slee818 View Post
i have a v6 and have 2 upstream sensors and 2 downstream. the two upstream, cheapest i found was 100 a piece at autozone, the two downstream i think around 50 each. they're pretty easy to replace, except i had the upstream one by the firewall and it was a bisnatch, just cause of the tight space. I recommend, DIY, and do it soon cause if ur o2 sensor is bad ur car is gonna run rich, meaning noticable loss in gas mileage. 02 sensor wrench is like 8 bucks if i remember correctly. which will make ur life easier, unless you can get i think it is a 22mm wrench onto the sensor. i'll explain/help you further later, but i gotta get to class. btw get the code scanned for free at any autoparts store, so you can determine which sensor you're gonna be working with.
Yea i have a v6 as well. I tried looking for the part on hondaautomotivepart.com but couldn't find it. And wouldn't it be better if the o2 sensor is from Honda? cause the rep from the shop at the stealership it won't be as good if its not a Honda sensor. I will def try and do this myself if i can get some directions, thanks!
Old February 12th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #5
keepin' it OG

Send a message via AIM to Kiet
diy, unless your afraid to go under your car..

see if a muffler shop have them. they dont charge as much for them and can install them for cheap.
Kiet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #6

anything you want done at the dealer is a rip off
oneflyaznguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #7

yeah dealer is straight up lying to you cause the o2 sensor found OEM in our vehicle is by bosch, who make like 99 percent of the o2 sensors for all cars, low end to high end. the one i bought at autozone is exactly.. i say EXACTLY the same one. i dont know if you're from cali or not. .but it might be alittle different cause of our different emissions laws.. just put in ur zipcode and see what you get. http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm

looks like the 5 band one which was like 110 before went down and price.. and the other ones went up alittle.. i'm pretty sure ur not gonna find any cheaper than that, plus the ease of exchange/warranty cause they're all over the place

Last edited by slee818; February 12th, 2008 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: price change
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #8

btw, if your down for soldering/ cuttin old connector and puttin it on the new o2 sensor, you can get a universal 5 wire or 4 wire depending on which one you need for like 20-50 bucks cheaper. Personally i like plug and play and im not good at soldering so i just go with direct fit.
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #9

u gotta go under the car for the downstream ones, but not the two top ones. if the one by the radiator is bad, it's straight up right in ur face when u pop the hood. so top ones more expensive no lifting, bottom ones cheaper gotta get under the car. pick your poison basically. Say you had to buy some rhino ramps, a mechanics basic craftsman tool set or stanley, which i've come to realize is not a bad basic set at all, o2 sensor socket/wrench, breaker bar, a creeper, and the o2 sensor itself.. it's still gonna be cheaper. so basically you DIY take an hour out of your life and get all these nifty things to save you money for other DIY's. thats my mentality at least. When i went to the dealer, they wanted to charge diagnostic 95, even tho i already knew it was o2 sensor, 250 for sensor, and 100 for labor.
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #10

Yea it's retarded how much they charge. The problem right now is that I'm not sure which one I need to replace. Is there a diy on this or can anyone show me a site or anything with directions? lol I don't feel like spending money on something I can do myself. Thanks everyone for your inputs!
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #11
Bobby Lane Racing

down stream up stream? what the heck is that?

the top two sensors measure air/fuel, tells your ecu whether your running rich or lean, and the bottom two sensors measure the air after the it flows through the cat. tells you if the catalytic convertor is efficient or not.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #12

yea, the stealership did a diagnostic and told me whats wrong, but wouldn't tell me if its the top or the bottom ones. But anyways, I'm guessing it's the top one(s). Anyone have diagrams or pics of where they're located? thanks a bunch.
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #13

first.. just get ur car scanned at a autoparts store.. they'll give you the code of which sensor is malfunctioning. no need to guess
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:00 AM   #14

So i went to autozone, and this guy scanned it, telling me it was Bank 1. So i asked him what's bank 1, and he goes the one nearest the engine. But there's one by the radiator and one by the firewall so I asked him again but he seemed new there and didn't really know and just said "i guess its the one near the radiator".... I guess i'll go back some other time and scan it again. The weird thing is, my check engine light went off, so now i don't know if i need to replace the sensor or if its just loose or something.
Old February 24th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #15
Bobby Lane Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipsz View Post
So i went to autozone, and this guy scanned it, telling me it was Bank 1. So i asked him what's bank 1, and he goes the one nearest the engine. But there's one by the radiator and one by the firewall so I asked him again but he seemed new there and didn't really know and just said "i guess its the one near the radiator".... I guess i'll go back some other time and scan it again. The weird thing is, my check engine light went off, so now i don't know if i need to replace the sensor or if its just loose or something.
Bank one is the one in the rear. why don't you get the codes scanned again and tell us what the codes are so we can help you here.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 24th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #16

+1 if you give us the exact code, can tell you exactly which one it is
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #17

http://www.samarins.com/glossary/oxygen_sensor.html

ur exactly right.. up stream just means top... down stream just means bottom.. just more names for the same thing essentially.
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
down stream up stream? what the heck is that?

the top two sensors measure air/fuel, tells your ecu whether your running rich or lean, and the bottom two sensors measure the air after the it flows through the cat. tells you if the catalytic convertor is efficient or not.
http://www.samarins.com/glossary/oxygen_sensor.html
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #19

So i finally dropped by Autozone again and asked them to scan it again and these codes came up: P0135, P2243 and P0134. He also told me bank 1, sensor 1 but i have no idea if its the one by the radiator or the one by the firewall. And thanks a million guys for being patient and helping out!
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #20
M90SC Boosting 13PSI

Bank1 = rear/firewall
Sensor1 = primary/top/upstream

Fix this first, then clear the codes and see if anything comes back, this can also cause other codes to occur.
NVA-AV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #21

Do you know if i have to jack up my car to get to the sensor for it? Cause i don't really know the exact location for it.
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipsz View Post
Do you know if i have to jack up my car to get to the sensor for it? Cause i don't really know the exact location for it.
naw you dont have too. its the same one i had tho... its on the backside by the firewall. use the one by the radiator as a reference, because its the same thing and setup just on the other side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in