About to buy a 2005 v6 6 speed - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oraclem19

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #1

About to buy a 2005 v6 6 speed

Hey, I always wanted to own one of these and now the time as finally come! I have the opportunity to buy a nice 05 6 speed and was just wondering what you guys think of the price and was also wondering if there is anything I should be looking for. So its an 05 model with about 60k miles on it seems to be in fairly good shape but the driver side power window and one of the switches for the power seat are not working.The front bumber is also cracked. I can get it for 8500 taxes in.I know it's a bit expensive but it is from a dealer. what do you guys think?

Here is a link: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/m...ationFlag=true
jesseblues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #2

The photo shows the car with 100k miles +. Does it have 60k or 101k on it ?
accord325 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #3

101k kilometers its about 60k miles

Old September 11th, 2014, 05:14 PM   #4

Ohh snap. LOL

Whats the KBB on it ? I think it's a fair deal if that Tax, tag, etc. Any warranty ?

I would tell them to replace the damn headlights for free.
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #5

Actually not a bad price with those miles. You would pay more for an 07 with same miles and condition. Have them knock off the $500-$700. Use it to get a new bumper painted, even a lip if you can find one. I would check the power steer pressure line if it was replaced with the recall. New ones have a piece of aluminum sheet zip tied over the hose to protect it from the heat of the exhaust. Power window actuator and seat can be sourced reasonably. Check rear rotors for any sign of scaling. This is sign of a stuck caliper at some point, which is a design flaw. No biggy on any of these. Other things i would check are the usual i.e. engine runs good (you might get some tick when it warms up), goes smoothly through all the gears, suspension, rust/ rot on the under carriage, etc. Good luck.
Rich01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #6

^ Good call on the PS hose. A lot of these transmissions alos have sycro issues. I had min replaced twice !
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #7

They want an extra 2000 bucks for a 2 year warranty. Not sure if I will be getting it yet
Old September 11th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #8

Did the warranty cover the transmisions?
Old September 11th, 2014, 06:01 PM   #9

^ $2000 for 2 years ! Wow, mine was 7 year 100k for $4,500, but the car was also 2 years old, so I got 5 years and 85k out of it.

Yes, the warranty covered it both times, they also changed my clutch slave cylinder and PS hose. PS hose is a recall and should be done before you ever leave the dealer. If they find the trans not shift right the syncros will also be covered. Then again, I have some pretty cool dealers around me.
Old September 11th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #10

It isn't a honda dealer do you think the would do the recall anyways? Or should the honda dealer do that job?
Old September 11th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #11

Ask them to take it to a Honda dealer. Check to see if the wrap is on the PS hose, side closest to the cabin and passenger side. Just follow the PS hose to the back and you should see the foil wrap
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #12

Are those the correct wheels for an 05 V6-6? I was thinking they should look like this.

Domi_no is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 11th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #13

No, that's from a 7.5 gen. 06-07
Old September 11th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #14

Im not sure but I think they have different wheels for the coupe and sedan
Old September 11th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #15

They do and also for i4 and v6 and v6-6spd. Quick Google search. The car you're looking to buy has the correct wheels for the year, engine, transmission and body style.
Old September 15th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #16

Did U.S have that color option for the 6-6? It's my favorite color.

Anyway, if the carfax checks out, I'd grab it. It's a nice car.
ChrisQ80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old September 15th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #17

I'm not sure if your model year does this, but be sure to check on the #5 spark plug. Some cars turn up with the #5 threads stripped, and the plug just sitting in there, held in place by the coil. Several people have had this happen. No check engine light, no obvious misfire, and no noise until it's too late. Hard to believe, but that's what everyone reports. The fix is a little tricky - Helicoil etc., or replace the head - neither one is attractive, to say the least. No TSB or recall, that I know of. Here's some more about it, including a totally ridiculous story that a dealer told some poor guy about how his coil somehow magically "pulled the plug" out of the head. See driveaccord.net - there is a sticky post in the 7th generation forum.

Also, the dome lights seem to go out quite a bit. I think somebody mentioned it already - some transmissions have bad 3rd gear synchronizers, if I recall correctly. My 3rd gear is finicky - I have to baby it on that shift to avoid a little crunchy feel going in.

Good luck, the car looks good. I've always thought those two door accords look great.
Old September 15th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #18
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
I'm not sure if your model year does this, but be sure to check on the #5 spark plug.
What the actual flying ****. This is the most randomly specific thing I have ever heard to check when buying a car.

I would be more convinced to make sure the vin number only started with 3jfk before buying or the oil will never need changing.
accord325 likes this.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 1st, 2014, 10:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
What the actual flying ****. This is the most randomly specific thing I have ever heard to check when buying a car.

I would be more convinced to make sure the vin number only started with 3jfk before buying or the oil will never need changing.
# 5 spark plug threads strips out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chipped ECUs, Injectors, Fuel Pump, Harnesses, DIY Parts, Widebands, and More
Hondata, eCtune, Neptune, Haltech, Precision Turbo, Injector Dynamics
RED_COUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:29 PM   #20
Carpe Diem

Yeah, there is a thread over on DA about it and it has happened to a lot of people. It seems to work itself loose quite frequently.

My spark plug #5 had the tip of the plug break off while I was driving. Not sure if it is any relation to the problem most people have with the #5 plug popping out but it seems like an awfully big coincidence.
ikethegreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old October 1st, 2014, 04:41 PM   #21

^ has to be coincidence. Cant even tell you how many times I've swapped plugs (compression testing, leak down, new plugs, colder nitrous plugs, etc) and have personally owned 3 sets of heads (2-J30 and 1 J37), never seen an issue like this.

I would say its coincedence that this is happening and that they are per tightening the plug. Why its on #5 got me beat. Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in