Halogen to LED conversion - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Scottwax
  • 1 Post By Scottwax
  • 1 Post By Scottwax
  • 1 Post By Achmiel
  • 1 Post By Scottwax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #1
Mr. Detail

Halogen to LED conversion

The one thing I missed the most about my Maximas other than always having a check engine light... was the HIDs. Let's face it, even with the Phillips Xtra Vision bulbs being noticeably better than the OEM halogens, they still aren't that great. And to switch to HIDs properly you need to retrofit your headlights. And most readily available kits around here are the full on ricer 8000-12000k bulbs.

Decided to go with Oracle LED bulbs. They promised to be glare free to oncoming traffic even in a reflector housing and 2200-2400 lumens of 5000k light. Not as much as HIDs but I have 1500 combined lumens on my two LED lights on my road bike and they are pretty damn bright.

ORACLE 9006 LED Headlight Replacement Bulbs - ORACLE LED Headlight - Fog & DRL Bulbs - ORACLE Automotive Lighting Products

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

The contents:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Odd that there were no directions or factory literature inside at all, no directions on the box either but it's pretty obvious what's what and how it all fits together. They even include double sided tape to mount the LED drivers.

Phillips Xtra Vision halogen:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Oracle LED:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

The cut line isn't as distinct as the halogens or HIDs, sort of a diffused line but there definitely isn't any glare, even looking at them dead there isn't much and off to the side like oncoming traffic, no glare. The light is very white (I'll try to get some shots later when it is even darker) and the pattern is very wide. Depth is similar to my halogens.

They aren't cheap, I bought mine through Southwest Speed for $169.99 with free shipping. Yeah, some decent coin but less expensive than a retrofit and decent HID bulbs and ballasts. And it was true plug and play, took me less than 10 minutes.
06accordcoupe, K3N and Domi_no like this.

2004 Infiniti G35 6MT. Also super shiny.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #2
J35 6Spd

Very nice. I wonder if the bulbs will actually last anywhere near 30,000 hours. The warranty is only 2 years... should be longer on the bulbs to back that 30,000 hour claim.
Kschwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #3

The LED itself will last 30K hours as long as they don't overheat. Well built units should cover this with proper cooling, or thermal cutoff circuitry. What drives the LED will typically fail first. They look great in the housing. I hope they make a big improvement.
Domi_no is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old February 10th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #4

that's a nice upgrade
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #5

output pics right meow! Been so curious about these ever since I saw them on VLEDs website haha

Thanks Scott for being a guinea pig If it'll allow you to sleep at night, VLEDs version is $250. A pair of OEM Osram D2S CBI bulbs cost $200. Matsuh1ta Gen V D2S ballasts cost $170. Projectors around $100-600 depending on make/model low-beam/bi-xenon. So...for $169.99 shipped I'd say you did aiight

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 7/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)
DreaminAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:24 PM   #6
Mr. Detail

Here is how it looks from the driver's seat:

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
Domi_no likes this.
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:16 AM   #7

A couple wall shots, please?

'07 EX-L HFP V6 Coupe w/ Navi - "Tawonda"
Graphite Pearl / Black Leather
(Sold 7/26/17)

'17 Touring HFP V6 Coupe - "Bianca"
White Orchid Pearl / Black Ivory Leather
(Purchased 5/18/17)
DreaminAccord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:57 AM   #8
AJB

I'm in for pics....
AJB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 11th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #9
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminAccord View Post
A couple wall shots, please?
They won't be that impressive, the cut line isn't very distinct. But I can tell you when a cop crossed in front of me it was obvious he wasn't getting blasted in the face with the lights.
HEcreated487 likes this.

Old February 16th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #10
Mr. Detail

One of the bulbs has been flickering (within a few minutes of turning the headlights on), contacted Oracle, they offered me two options:

1. Return the kit and they'd send me a new one
2. Buy a bulb ($49.99) and return the defective one within 30 days for a refund

Chose option #2. Just be easier since the bulb I'm having a problem with (which goes away after a few minutes) is the one I put in on the driver's side that even with an AEM intake instead of the factory resonator blocking access is still kind of a pain to get to. Very pleased with how quickly they responded, bulb should go out today.

And even with the flicker (I think one of the LEDs in the bulb isn't coming one completely), once it stops, the lights are still way brighter than the halogens.

Edit: Damn, just got off the phone with the sales rep, already have order confirmation.
Old February 16th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #11

Interesting.. I haven't got a chance to mess with my headlights yet. Bought the car with some preinstalled cheap hid that doesn't even seem bright at all from the drivers seat -_-
Millie_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 16th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #12
Mr. Detail

New bulb is on the way and should be here on Wednesday. I will say one thing about Oracle, they do act quickly if there is an issue.
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #13

I wonder how these would do in OEM fogs?
State.Of.Prime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:52 PM   #14
07 Silver 7th gen Accord

I bought a set of LED lights for mine as well. I got them from a power seller on Ebay but they are sold on Amazon as well. I paid about $80. I love the color, it matches my LED fogs and switchback corners. The output is spectacular, but there is little to no cut off. I havent had a chance to properly align them since its been so cold,but no one has flashed me their high beams in anger... will post a wall pic when i mess with the alignment.
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">
pradukt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:59 PM   #15
07 Silver 7th gen Accord

^ In those pics my LED fogs are on as well, those were just some power seller-USA sold no name brand lights. Color is nice and output is decent too.
pradukt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #16
Mr. Detail

The cutoff is weird, same as 9006 bulbs but a little higher and the line is softer. But no one has flashed me, and looking at my lights from the same angle other drivers would approach it, no glare at all.

I did get the other bulb, no more flickering. I think instead of returning the bulb for a refund under warranty, I'm going to see if they will just send me a replacement bulb so I have an extra just in case.
Old February 25th, 2015, 12:53 PM   #17

Im actually surprised how bright these things are.
rangomango is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2015, 12:32 PM   #18

Has anyone tried these in fogs?

Not the normal LEDs but this type with the mini ballast...
State.Of.Prime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2015, 02:09 AM   #19

great price for LED Bulb Kit
2i2dk1ny2i3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2015, 05:58 AM   #20

just a heads up TRS has some LED bulbs now for 100 bucks.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:02 AM   #21

Dammit, Scottwax. Now I have another mod to add to the list
Scottwax likes this.
Achmiel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:05 PM   #22
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmiel View Post
Dammit, Scottwax. Now I have another mod to add to the list
So nice on my trip to Phoenix and back, the whiter light is easier on the eyes and a lot of the driving was a night.
oraclem19 likes this.
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #23
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwax View Post
So nice on my trip to Phoenix and back, the whiter light is easier on the eyes and a lot of the driving was a night.
yes, yes it is.

trying some 5500 to see if they begin to become harsh compared to 4300. And should be about the same light output.

want to see this output next to a projector HID though, should stop off in tucson next time you come through! assuming you take the 10.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 8th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #24
Mr. Detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclem19 View Post
yes, yes it is.

trying some 5500 to see if they begin to become harsh compared to 4300. And should be about the same light output.

want to see this output next to a projector HID though, should stop off in tucson next time you come through! assuming you take the 10.
Stayed at my brother's in-laws house in Marana when I was in Tucson for my last customer-who is way at the east end of town near the airplane museum. Hopefully going back through in the fall.

Am considering getting projector headlights to make the most of the light from the LEDs.

Old March 8th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #25
The Jester

Quote:
Stayed at my brother's in-laws house in Marana when I was in Tucson for my last customer-who is way at the east end of town near the airplane museum. Hopefully going back through in the fall.

Am considering getting projector headlights to make the most of the light from the LEDs.
Give me a heads up before you run through, could be interesting to see another not stock accord around these parts, marana is just a skip away.

if you're able to use them, the h1 mini projectors are on b stock for 50 bucks. They may not be perfect, and you may get a lense with a scratch or something, but worst case you can order another set for still a fraction of the cost of the normal A stock set.

edit: it looks like our bulbs are too big to use with the h1 size projectors. You would need a projector that would fit the 9006 size in order to use projectors. Which im not sure exist... maybe the spyder projectors?
Old March 12th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #26
Mr. Detail

Don't know. Lots of horror stories about projector headlights giving off crappy beam patterns and so many of them have that ricey LED crap in them now. Honestly, that's getting as bad as stick on fender vents. Just want a normal looking headlight that has a quality projector beam pattern to get the most out of the LED lights.
Old March 13th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #27
The Jester

Quote:
Don't know. Lots of horror stories about projector headlights giving off crappy beam patterns and so many of them have that ricey LED crap in them now. Honestly, that's getting as bad as stick on fender vents. Just want a normal looking headlight that has a quality projector beam pattern to get the most out of the LED lights.
problem is nobody makes a projector for 9006 bulbs. or anything close to it. except for maybe spyder because they ARE cheap. they know you WONT want to use HID bulbs because they cost extra to put in your new fancy headlights.

although honestly using projectors made for bulbs that were made for reflectors doesn't sound like a good idea anyway. If they do exist, using LED bulbs, made as an alternative for bulbs, in a projector made for use with bulbs, made for reflectors, sounds like a whole lot of KICS not KISS
Old March 14th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #28
Mr. Detail

I know biking LEDs are set up in housings that maximize their output to put the light where you need it. When you have a two bulb set up, they are properly angled so you don't get separate hot spots. Whether or not that is properly done for projector housings meant for halogen bulbs, I don't know. But if so, then LED lights designed to be anti-glare in a reflector housing should work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in