Supercharger. Get in this thread! - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By nighthawk04v6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #1

Supercharger. Get in this thread!

Have the opportunity to buy a m62 for 800$. Only problem is I have a 5at 2003 v6. What do I need to do to ensure my transmission does not shared it's anus. I really don't want to pass up this deal. Who has a supercharged auto. Where can I upgrade my tranny cooling. Got 1 week so everyone please put in ur input if ur supercharged!
Strath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2015, 05:45 PM   #2

option 1: sell your car and buy a 6-6 accord and install supercharger
option 2: buy the supercharger and manual swap your accord, then install supercharger
option 3: supercharge your car and wait for the transmission to blow, then manual swap your car
Joseph Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 5th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #3

^ truth!

but i knew of a v6 auto 6th gen that was supercharged. he had an aftermarket tranny i think by dr evil? maybe look into those
rave93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old April 5th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #4

I've seen a lot of supercharged autos with no problems. One guy had the same setup and ran 50k with 4.5psi no problems. Also know of a guy with custom turbo with 7psi, same setup, 25k @ 335whp no problems. Isn't it a huge ***** to swap in a manual though? Would the PRNDL31 indicator on the dash freak out a bunch with a manual swapped in?
Old April 6th, 2015, 10:48 AM   #5

By the time its all said and done either don't super charge or buy a new car with a 6spd you will spend stupid amount of money swapping tranny.
05accord6spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #6

get a beefy tranney cooler and inline filter. That should help at least some amount
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2015, 11:23 AM   #7
Bobby Lane Racing

you'll still get beat by a 6 speed manual NA.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2015, 02:48 PM   #8

Where can I find a cooler and filter for the 5at? Are they universal or specific?
Old April 6th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #9

universal cooler, and DIY inline filter on top of the factor incase filter
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2015, 04:48 PM   #10

I thought u were looking at the m90?

I think you'll probably be disappointed with the 62 on a 3 liter engine. I had an m62 on my Integra with 1.8 liters and I still wanted more torque...

If you just want to be charged for the sake of being charged then go for the 62. Otherwise I'd recommend something that moves more air...
State.Of.Prime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 6th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #11

I want the whine and don't want to blow my transmission. M62 is fine for me. Plus I'm too lazy to fit the 90.
Old April 6th, 2015, 10:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk04v6 View Post
you'll still get beat by a 6 speed manual NA.
Old April 7th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #13
SC J32A3 Accord

Strath,

Don't listen to all the haters about supercharging an auto. As someone who ACTUALLY has a supercharged 7th gen auto for almost 10 years, here's my experience:

1. The automatics are not inherently weak, (really early 2003 7th gens may have been?) *IF* you don't try to shift it like a manual all the time, neutral drop, never change the oil and filter, or do anything else stupid. For all the manual guys claiming autos are weak, how many times have you had to change your clutch huh? Yes I know it's alittle cheaper, but that's not the point, the people who's automatics fail are the ones that think it should operate for the life of the car and don't perform any maintenance on the transmission and beat on them.
2. An external oil cooler and a trans oil temp gauge is definitely required if you SC. I have a flex-a-lite trans cooler, don't remember the model but it is almost big enough to fill the center grill, rated for 20000 GVWR and universal fit. Definitely wasn't a high-end cooler but worked fine for the last 10 years. For the trans temp, my recommendation is to try and keep it below 200. My trans oil averages about 170-190 normal driving, 200-215 when driving hard, and I think only hit 220+ when driving uphill returning from Vegas in 120+ heat.
3. Tuning will be a b1tch, if you are buying the Comptech kit, the ACM is junk, don't even install it. You also can't use Flashpro because the auto ECUs are not supported, there are lots of other threads why if you want to read about it. Your only readily available options are the Greddy Emanage and AEM FiC.
3a. Tuning with the Emanage and FiC is an ongoing experience if you want your car running it's best. You can go to a tuner and have them tune it, but your ECU will learn and try to "optimize" it back to factory parameters. I used the Emanage Blue for the first ~6 years SC'd and it was decent but that's about it. I've been using the AEM FiC for the last ~3 years and I'm finally now getting it running the way I want. My car is my daily driver so I don't do any extreme testing/repairs and as such have been fine tuning it myself.
3b. get a GOOD Bluetooth OBD II dongle and an app like Torque to monitor your fuel trims. It's so much easier for me to retune myself when my long term fuel trims go more than 5% in either direction of 0%. Yes, I can go to a dyno shop and have it tuned and retuned, and tuned over and over if I wanted to waste money.
4. You'll love the whine, it still makes me grin almost 10 years later

I can't speak from experience of the difference between m62 vs m90 since I have a stock Comptech kit, but the m90 should give you room for more power with supporting mods.

I should also add that I have had 1 transmission failure during this time, ironically it was when I had the supercharger off my car for about a year. I left the Emanage in with the 410cc injectors and was pulling fuel for NA driving which kept throwing BARO codes and putting the car into limp mode which slipped the transmission shifts until I cleared the ECU. That was a bonehead thing to do on my part and after about 6 months the transmission clutch packs were done and a rebuild was needed $1400. This was because of the way the Emanage Blue adjusts the fuel trim by tricking the ECU, AEM FiC would not have had this issue.

For nighthawk04v6, comment about being beat by a 6 speed manual NA, yes, that's true if it was like his NA monster

Last edited by SleekAV6; April 7th, 2015 at 05:21 PM..
SleekAV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 7th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #14

Hey sleek, have you ever had to service the blower after 10 years? That's an impressive stat btw...
Old April 7th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #15
SC J32A3 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by State.Of.Prime View Post
Hey sleek, have you ever had to service the blower after 10 years? That's an impressive stat btw...
Yes, the year the Supercharger was off my car was to change the oil and check for any bearing wear. Since I bought the kit used and also using the high boost pulley, I pulled it off at about 100k miles on the Supercharger. Everything was working fine when I pulled it off, but the tech said the needle bearings had a slight play and replaced them as well.
Old April 7th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #16

What are you using to cool the air? Meth or a custom fmic/smic?
Old April 7th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #17
SC J32A3 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by State.Of.Prime View Post
What are you using to cool the air? Meth or a custom fmic/smic?
Neither. I monitor my coolant temp and back off when it's hot 210+

Yes, I can get more power from integrating meth or a custom IC, just never needed it. I'm tuned for daily driving/commuting and not going for max power. I haven't been to a dyno in over 8 years so don't ask what I'm putting down either :P but I can say it feels much stronger with the AEM FiC vs the Emanage or ACM did. Maybe I'll go back one of these days.
Old April 7th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #18

What psi do you run? The "higher" pulley is like 8psi, correct? Any problems there? And I already have torque with a Bluetooth adapter. The guy I would be buying the SC from is including a boost gauge, just gotta find a temp Guage. What year is your car? What octane do you use?
Old April 7th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #19

Also what did you mean by shifting like a manual. And I don't so neutral drops. I may be young but not retarded.
Old April 7th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #20
SC J32A3 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strath View Post
What psi do you run? The "higher" pulley is like 8psi, correct? Any problems there? And I already have torque with a Bluetooth adapter. The guy I would be buying the SC from is including a boost gauge, just gotta find a temp Guage. What year is your car? What octane do you use?
For me, it peaks at 6ish psi. No problems from the high boost pulley. I drive a 2004, but I have a J32A3 engine with TL ecu and sport shifter. 91 octane. Are you buying a Comptech SC kit or just a bare M62 SC? If just the bare SC, you got a lot of fabrication work to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strath
Also what did you mean by shifting like a manual. And I don't so neutral drops. I may be young but not retarded.
You have an auto, don't try to force it to up/down shift like a manual, it just won't. With the stock shifter, you can shift it manually accelerating from a stop but it really doesn't make a difference in performance. It already shifts within a few 100 rpm of redline in D WOT. It's also impossible to hold 3, 4, 5 without it up shifting or down shifting when you coast and accelerate quickly. Just let the ECU do it's thing and learn to anticipate the shifts.

Now if you had the TL ecu/sport shifter, you can hold those gears from down or up shifting and coast/accel quickly, but it doesn't change the shift speed.
Old April 7th, 2015, 11:47 PM   #21

why would you shift an auto like a manual? why not just buy a manual?
Old April 8th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #22

How did you get sport shifters on an Accord? Could I put then on my j30? and yeah I don't do that ricey ass fakeshift crap. Whoever thinks it does anything other than make you look like a wannabe is wrong.
Old April 8th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #23

Also I'm buying the supercharger and everything for it from a guy on here. He's reverting to stock. I even get his fuel management and boost gauge. Just gotta pull the funds together and work out the trade.
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:49 AM   #24
SC J32A3 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strath View Post
How did you get sport shifters on an Accord? Could I put then on my j30? and yeah I don't do that ricey ass fakeshift crap. Whoever thinks it does anything other than make you look like a wannabe is wrong.
I swapped in the TL engine, ecu and shifter. You need TL ecu and shifter minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strath
Also I'm buying the supercharger and everything for it from a guy on here. He's reverting to stock. I even get his fuel management and boost gauge. Just gotta pull the funds together and work out the trade.
So it's a Comptech kit? or a custom pieced together kit? what fuel management?
Old April 8th, 2015, 01:53 PM   #25

Yeah comptech. Aem fic
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #26

Not trying to jack your thread. But I have an AEM FIC for sale in the classifieds cheap, if you decide to go for the blower. Good luck. At the very least , you could buy that blower and probably won't lose money on it if it's the entire kit and in good condition.
ST-Accord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in