Turbo questions - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27th, 2015, 05:23 PM   #1

Turbo questions

So I think I'm going to attempt to do a complete DIY backyard turbo on my 3.0 5at. I'm gonna do maybe 5psi or less, and try to find a turbo from a junk yard and rebuild it. Something small off a subaru or something. Trying to do this as cheaply as possible

Will I need an intercooler for 5psi?
Anyone have a specific turbo in mind?
Best options for turbo tunes?

I realized that I can use an arc welder (only kind of welding equipment I've ever used) on the entire pipe setup, which was all that ever sounded difficult to me for doing a turbo myself. Also I don't think the exhaust header thing should be an issue, I'll just get a test pipe and weld it up. I was also wondering... Would combining both exhaust outlets into a single downpipe for the turbo be viable? Or what...

If anyone has any other info to pitch in about a small 5psi backyard build let me know.
Strath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #2

way ahead of you. Do run the intercooler or water/methanol because the engine would blow up do to detonation.

DIY turbo idea for cheap? lol - AcuraZine Community
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 27th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #3
The Jester

Want a practice build to work on? I've already got the FiC unit to prevent from blowing up the thing once the system runs.

And more flexibility for time and reliability, since mine is not DD.

Let me know if you have an idea for the turbo itself. That's the part I'm stuck on. 3l is much bigger than most people's engines.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old June 28th, 2015, 09:39 AM   #4

A friend of mine suggested a td03, but I don't really know turbos. I just need a quick spool to 5psi. Are there turbos small enough to only do 5psi? Or am I going to have to get a waste gate type setup?
Old June 28th, 2015, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strath View Post
A friend of mine suggested a td03, but I don't really know turbos. I just need a quick spool to 5psi. Are there turbos small enough to only do 5psi? Or am I going to have to get a waste gate type setup?
thats a small ass turbo. don't 1.8 -2.0 audi use those?

first thing first learn to read a compression map. It really helps on deciding on what turbo you want for the efficient, power, and spool up time.

I have found that GTX30 and GTX35 were good for 5-6psi to make clost to 400-450 crank hp.

You don't want the turbo to spool too fast since the accord bearing are thin so no 90% tq from the turbo at 1800rpm. Shoot for 3-3.5k rpm spool up time.

use this web advisor

Garrett Boost Adviser - Online | Turbobygarrett

also figure out what size injector you need and if you need to run a fuel return system or not.
Old June 28th, 2015, 03:18 PM   #6

I wanted to be able to pull a turbo off a stock car instead of using a garrett. More fun and I'm low on dinero. Would spooling that fast really **** the bearings?
Old June 28th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #7

here cheap turbo.

GT30 GT3076 A R 86 T25 Flange 2 5'' V Band Exhaust Water Turbo Turbocharger | eBay

read the acurazine thread. We talked about it over there. Getting help from a few guys with boosted TL that know what they are talking about.

at minimum you're looking at 2k to just get setup. This doesn't include the fittings, upgraded injectors, fuel pump, fuel regulator, and etc. If you can weld your own piping it might help with reducing cost.

Boosting the accord v6 doesn't come cheap and it doesn't come easy. You will have to run an intercooler and/or water methanol to help with the increase IAT and EGR temps. We also talked about it over there on acurazine.

http://acurazine.com/forums/performa...-heads-932220/

also have money on the side if the engine does blow up. 2 TL-s blew their ringlands and piston and had to go forged internals.

Last edited by thisaznboi88; June 28th, 2015 at 04:09 PM..
Old June 28th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #8
The Jester

With you doing the welding I think we can set one up with my resources for easily less than 1k. If not less.

.86 ar turbo... Ridiculous. It's not even a Godspeed. If you're looking for cheap Godspeed is the answer.

As far as bearings, eh. Bearings blow. It happens. Rings blow, it happens. Inter cooler mandatory.
Old June 28th, 2015, 04:40 PM   #9
The Jester

Hmm looks like Godspeed is actually more expensive. Anyway there's probably better turbos to be had locally for less, there's a lot of guys that blow up and sell, just have to find one that'll give you enough cfm at 3l and 7000rpm to make a few hp. I'm guessing you're looking to barely break the 300s, not burst higher up

As far as injectors, removing the screens on the stock ones should allow for enough fuel to pass through. A controller is mandatory though. Wastegate too probably. And inter cooler.

Last edited by oraclem19; June 28th, 2015 at 04:46 PM..
Old June 28th, 2015, 05:06 PM   #10

internal waste gate would be good for him since he is not going super crazy on power. That should save some cash. Ebay intercooler and piping is not that bad. Turbo I would be iffy about since ebay turbo don't have very high tolerance when being mass produced.

Figure out the CFM and stuff so you can apply it to the turbo compressor maps. Don't think in PSI think in raw power you would like to have at the crank. Most people that get it wrong is trying to run a certain amount of PSI first then looking for a turbo that would fit.

If you want a mostly complete kit there is a twin turbo set up in the F/S that has just been sitting there for the longest time.
Old June 28th, 2015, 06:39 PM   #11

How do I learn about cfm?
Old June 28th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #12

google my friend and youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLXw3UyfmcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lv4yjiuJSU

there is also this book that might help you. Start doing your HW now. There tons of info on the internet in this day and age

I was recommended this book to get me started on my DIY turbo cheap idea

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Turboch...=9781557884886
Old June 28th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #13

Everyone here has some good points, but one question to really clarify is your (Target) Tgt hp. Ive pieced up a turbo kit on my k24a4 05 accord, revhard turbo mani, 750cc rc injectors, walbro 255lph fuel pump, k-pro, rbc intake manifold, treadstone intercooler, and custom 3" catless downpipe to exhaust. Garrett Gt3071r with 299hp and 289 trq on a hub dyno, and my current Gt3076r with 332 hp and 290 torque. Obviously with a bigger turbo you make more hp, but with the garrett gt30 turbos, sizing really didnt have too much of an impact on spool time on my car as turbo spool on the 71r spooled around 3000-3100 rpm and the the 76r around 3200-3400 rpm. It also depends on the length of the manifold as the exhaust gases need time to reach the turbo.

Like what thisaznboi88 mentioned, the smaller the turbo, the quicker the spool. Youll max a smaller turbo out in the low to mid rpm range, while the higher rpm range plateaus or dips down on the dyno. From my understanding on the V6 motors, you guys have a lot of torque in the lower rpm range, kinda like the k24. With my 71r setup, I found it to be great as far as response for occasional track days and DD. I have yet to hit the track with the current 76r though. Ive heard good and bad with about piecing up ebay kits, usually a hit or miss, but with your PSI goal, I dont find it hard to achieve at all with any turbo. With a twin turbo setup and small turbos, you can achieve a good amount of hp. Sunnyincali had a twin turbo setup with GT 25's, but I forgot his power output. Somewhere in the 300+ area. Really just goes to show what you power goal is, and you can plan out from there. Usually when looking up turbo parts, you want to look at what the max hp each product can handle and from there you can turn up/down the boost. Another recommendation is asking the person you plan to get the car tuned by and they can tell you what parts you need to achieve that goal, or just doing more research on other setups.

To my next point, if you do decide to stick with a small turbo I have a Turbonetics T3 journal bearing turbo with a .42 turbine housing for sale. Not so sure of all specs as I bought this when I was a turbo noob. It was rebuilt before I bought it, with no shaft play. Doesnt look to be used. My second turbo I have for sale is the old gt3071r Ball bearing, which needs to be rebuilt. Not so sure what needs to be rebuilt as I havent opened it up. I mean, you can always take the turbonetics t3 and when you end up piecing up the kit together and change to a bigger size if it doesnt meet your goal. Let me know if you decide you want to take one off my hands.

Check out my for sale thread under my name for parts. Heres my photobucket for reference:

http://s1234.photobucket.com/albums/...20CB7%20Parts/

Pg.3 is a gt3076r, different from the 71r i have for sale. The compressor housing on the 71r looks a bit different, but I cant take pics if needed. Since Im not sure whats up the 71r, Im selling it for $750 shipped.

Pg. 6 is the Turbonetics t3, up for $70 shipped

Im pretty flexible with the prices so just let me know if youre interested.
Thegray7thgen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 28th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #14

Thisaznboi88 provided a lot of supplement that I would recommend going over. Even I find it very useful, as you need as much knowledge before making your final decision. GL with the build!
Old June 28th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #15

just and fyi your photobucket doesn't work
Old June 28th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
just and fyi your photobucket doesn't work
Thanks. Hopefully it works now.

TSX RSX K20 K24 CB7 Parts by JustPeraltaaa | Photobucket
Old June 28th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #17

If u don't know what these means you have a lot of learning to do. I did a **** ton of research and asked for a bunch of help. Then I lost interest, got married, and need to buy the wife a car.

With the turbo I selected it going to start spoiling around 4000 rpm and pull till 7000. This will be a good setup if your auto. You won't have a huge driveline shock at low rpm from the tq getting sent to the mushbox

Hp are estimation from the crank. It will vary from car to car.

Goodluck
Attached Thumbnails
Turbo questions-screenshot_2015-06-29-00-11-55_1435551654326.jpg   Turbo questions-screenshot_2015-06-29-00-05-48_1435551670864.jpg   Turbo questions-screenshot_2015-06-29-00-02-08_1435551750137.jpg  
Old June 29th, 2015, 03:13 PM   #18

I'll definitely be doing more research, a quick question: Should both headers have the exhaust sent to the turbo? Or would just the frontal work for such a low boost profile? I'm only after 50hp max. Don't want to wreck my 5 speed glass house.
Old June 29th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #19

Also, Would a top mount intercooler be possible in any way with our cars? Idk why but I've always loved the subie hood scoops and intercooler setup. This build is about doing what I've always wanted with my car, less about the road more traveled.
Old June 29th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #20

I'm far from an expert but I don't think running a turbo off of only one bank of cylinders is a good idea.

A top mount is possible but impractical. The amount of fabrication required would be drastic compared to a front mount. There isn't much room under the hood as is.

As fun as a turbo accord sounds, I would personally stick to na builds or spray. To each his own though, I look forward to updates.
CBUS-AV6MT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #21

I really want a tiny turbo. Just some positive pressure. I've always used my car (first car, and a great first car at that) as a model to learn with. I put a lot of miles on it delivering pizza, yes I work at dominos... Anyhow I figure that as stuff breaks while putting those miles on it I'll get an opportunity to fix it and learn from it. Necessity creates opportunity or whatever it is people say. I want to do a turbo just to get more experience with welding, forced induction setups, piping, cooling, etc. Isn't a FMIC a total ***** to get in anyway? Don't you need to get a new radiator or something?
Old June 29th, 2015, 04:21 PM   #22

You wont do anything with a tiny turbo except make a lot of torque and detonate like crazy.

When you compress air, it heats up. With a small turbo, all you are going to do is heat the air massively, or run the turbo way outside of its efficiency zone. Turbos are not "any one on any engine" they need to be sized based on goals and engine size.

Lets look at a stock STI turbo - You'll make 300 ish WHP with one of those - and that's at 25 psi, and tapering boost. That turbo is WAY too small for a 3.0L engine.

If you really want to use a junk yard turbo from an oem vehicle, look at some older diesels. Something like a small HX35 would work better. It will have lag, but it would work better than the WRX turbo.

I see no reason why you would need a new radiator. You don't NEED an FMIC, but if you try and run that tiny turbo you want, and NO FMIC, you might as well apply a blow torch to your pistons because the air entering the motor will be so hot it will do nothing but melt things. Probably to the tune of 500 deg. IATs.
screaminz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #23

I just want a turbo that can spool in a reasonable amount of time, and give a solid 5psi all the way toredline. I'd like to go e85, in time. I'll definitely be getting an intercooler. First thing on my amazon list is the tranny cooler.
Old June 29th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #24

Build me the pipe from the pre-cat down with a t4 flange to the turbo. :P
Old June 29th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
Build me the pipe from the pre-cat down with a t4 flange to the turbo. :P
I just scored a spare TL transmission (for 250 what!) so I'll be starting my manifold soon. I plan to do it just as you said - from the precats, merged, and up. I'm debating on if it should be 2 pieces or 1, with a v-band connection. I'm also probably going to try and use 3in pipe which will make everything a tight fit, but I think it will help. Once I have it the way I like, I could make an extra - but I'm not gonna use stainless..I'm cheap so aluminized it is for me.
screaminz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 29th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #26

Your's can be aluminized. I want SS

Keeps me updated on the progress.
Old June 30th, 2015, 12:11 AM   #27
The Jester

GT3076 is going to be the smallest yet effective. As far as top mount the difficulty is moderate, as long as you're okay with hood scoops/cowls.

Both banks will need to merge before the turbo, going down near the subframe then up and under the current battery location, or going straight sideways from the exhausts, are going to be the best bet. Depending on intercooler location.

Could always go no intercooler and a **** ton of water injection.

As far as FMIC, yeah there needs to be something. Unless you want to end up like every other blown up civic in this town inside of 5k miles. Even on small boost. AEM FIC or Blue Box(olympus? Orion? something like that) are really the only two options. I happen to have one hooked up and working.

And an extra downpipe.
And an extra head.
And a non-dd.
And a wideband+gauge.
And a double pass radiator.
And a trans cooler.
And custom trans fluid.

All I need now is some plumbing, a turbo, an intercooler and a tune!

How far south of campus are you?
Old June 30th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #28

Green Valley.
Old June 30th, 2015, 04:02 AM   #29

I know a loot of people on here will argue with me, but I speak from 4 years of experience on turboing my V6 Accord.

I started out with a turbo and an FIC form AEM @ 7psi. Now I'm running 15psi on a fully tuned standalone.

I have the stock engine, still running strong and just about to hit 200,000km. I have easily dyno'd/tuned it at 360hp to the wheels.

Now, what I suggest is calling DNA Motoring. you can buy a turbo from them brand new for less that $200.00, just tell them you want a 5psi wastegate spring. They also sell lots of the extras, such as blow off, wastegate, and intercooler. No its not "Garrett", but i can speak from 4 years experience on my daily driver that if the gear is installed properly it work perfectly.

You could install an FIC, but that's $800-1000 if you also buy the boomslang harness. I suggest a good brand Meth kit instead, and it will compensate for the required extra fuel and also add octane to prevent detonation.

This will get you 5psi. After that you will need to start upgrading injectors, ecm etc... BUT the meth kit will always be used and beneficial, never a waste of money.

The discontinued Superchrger they made for the Accords didn't require any ecm changes at 5-6psi.

As far as what size turbo you buy, id get a bit bigger that you think, mine spools around 3000rpm, and that right around vtech. Just make sure your waste gate spring is only 5psi, you can always go up but never down from there.

Good luck
goomer1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 30th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by goomer1976 View Post
I know a loot of people on here will argue with me, but I speak from 4 years of experience on turboing my V6 Accord.

I started out with a turbo and an FIC form AEM @ 7psi. Now I'm running 15psi on a fully tuned standalone.

I have the stock engine, still running strong and just about to hit 200,000km. I have easily dyno'd/tuned it at 360hp to the wheels.

Now, what I suggest is calling DNA Motoring. you can buy a turbo from them brand new for less that $200.00, just tell them you want a 5psi wastegate spring. They also sell lots of the extras, such as blow off, wastegate, and intercooler. No its not "Garrett", but i can speak from 4 years experience on my daily driver that if the gear is installed properly it work perfectly.

You could install an FIC, but that's $800-1000 if you also buy the boomslang harness. I suggest a good brand Meth kit instead, and it will compensate for the required extra fuel and also add octane to prevent detonation.

This will get you 5psi. After that you will need to start upgrading injectors, ecm etc... BUT the meth kit will always be used and beneficial, never a waste of money.

The discontinued Superchrger they made for the Accords didn't require any ecm changes at 5-6psi.

As far as what size turbo you buy, id get a bit bigger that you think, mine spools around 3000rpm, and that right around vtech. Just make sure your waste gate spring is only 5psi, you can always go up but never down from there.

Good luck
How much did the standalone tune cost you?
How tf are you running 15psi on stock?
I take it you have the manual with those dyno numbers?
If fic isn't required for the supercharger why is it for a turbo?
Pics of ur engine bay and tubing and whatnot would be helpful if you had time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in