Help?Recomandations? Spun Rod... - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 30th, 2015, 05:40 PM  

Help?Recomandations? Spun Rod...

Hey guys a little history. I have a 2006 Accord 6mt. Back @ 129,xxx the car blew a spark plug. Had that head pretty much rebuilt. Got it back, drove maybe 5 miles and turns out it chewed the timing belt. Had the opposite head replaced and rebuilt, turns out the cam and cam guide were being starved oil (dont know how as am on top of the engine oil).

Car Cel came on maybe a month after. Took it to the shop were he cleared the codes misfire in all cylinders and did an oil change. Told me to let him know if it turns back on again.

Had the car for pretty much the winter and car seem to run ok but something seemed off. The cel came on eventually, misfire in all cylinders again . Took the car in to a diff shop to get a diff opinion and he said the timing was off a tooth and to take it to whoever did the job first.

I took the car back to the shop that replaced/ rebuilt the heads. He swore that he did the job correctly, showed him the note the other shop gave me and reluctantly did the job. ( Tho I agreed to go half on it). He stil swore it was set correctly.

I get the car back. She's Back!!! Running great! The timing had to be off because she's running better than ever. Short lived as a couple more weeks pass, I started to notice a ticking/ knock sound @ around 2,000rpm. Tried taking it back to the original shop. Guess what!? They're closed. Took it to a couple shops to get their opinion one said "spun rod" the other said "diffently something block related".

So now am here at 140,xxx and looking into an engine swap after getting the heads rebuilt. Possibly a j32a3 even tho I live in the CA (East Bay Area).But Im having a hard time finding someone to do the swap for a reasonable price.

I talked to redzone race in antioch and they quoted me about 1,700 for the labor of doing the engine swap, placing clutch, flywheel and timing belt assuming i would provide the parts. Engine, clutch kit, flywheel and timing belt kit would have to be provided by me! They specialize in Honda and Acura but in talking to them didnt seem to familiar with the j series. Worked mostly on civics, integra and s2k's.

Synergy in SJ a little further to me but was a recommendation from Matt said im looking at $3000 for everything and they didnt want to bother w j32a3 swap.

Can anyone recomend a shop or someone to take my car that has experience with our engines and at a reasonable price? Does $3k sound right? Ive done some research and it looks like some of you guys have done swaps for half of what am looking at.

Im stil leaning at the j32a3 swap and done the research even talked to a ref.
I would need 06 j32a3 w/ an 06 tl mt ecu, wire harness and tl cats. Tho I think i might be able to get away with my wire harness reping the 3 pins and my cats if the same part #. Any help would ve appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Murders23 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2015, 01:18 AM  
The Jester

anybody feel like pretty much all of this is wrong?

timing off a tooth should only cause valve issues, not spinning a rod.
spinning a rod wouldn't involve ticking at a certain rpm, it would be ticking, and distinct, and universal in rpm.
clutch wouldn't need a kit, flywheel can be crossed over, and the timing belt could even be crossed over if you felt the need to not use the timing belt on the new j32a3 if so desired.

realistically, at this point you may be better off DIY if this is really a consideration for price point, as if you have any knowledge of the engine, and a full long block, you can get an engine lift and simply drop in the j32a3, swap the transmission over(maybe using a clutch alignment tool or something), and drop it back in. All in all maybe costing 1000 including brand new tools to swap it, and the engine longblock.
You definitely can use your own cats, they're the same. the ecu can be used, or swapped, up to you.
If not, there are a few so cal guys on here that should be able to recommend a shop if you don't want to do the work yourself, but 1700 just for labor doesn't sound economical.

You could also be looking at something as simple as a bent valve.
oraclem19 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 1st, 2015, 01:10 PM  

OP - I had a very similar problem with my engine. It had been burning oil rapidly since I bought it at 118k miles and by 140k I had to replace the engine. Originally suspected heads needed to be rebuilt but after doing a cylinder compression check realized that my front three cylinders held under 50 PSI. After taking off the heads we saw a lot of scoring in the cylinder walls. Our best guess is that the previous owner was not changing oil frequently or running it dry.

Anyways I ended up doing it myself along with my two buddies, who happened to have a shop with a lift and an engine hoist. I definitely recommend doing it yourself if at all possible to save on labor $$$. You can get a used J30a4 online for about a grand, or even J32 if you want to swap, but that may be a little more costly if you consider what other mods need to be done with the swap. I opted to stick with the stock J30 to cut down on cost.
jjhuffyo is offline   Quick reply to this message

Old August 1st, 2015, 02:51 PM  

Doing the swap myself has definetly crossed my mind at this point. If I **** up well, then part out lol. Not much more to lose. But you have me curious as to whats really wrong. I took the car to 2 good customers of mine (work for Cintas) both said something similar.

I dont think the timing being off a tooth is the problem. Am thinking what ever starved the rear head of oil is possibly the culprit. Having clogged something.

Took a video you can hear it around 2700 rpm. https://youtu.be/SxGaWCAJpuU Maybe its something else. Might have jumped to conclusion once I heard spun rod.

Car is burning oil but not much maybe half quart in between changes.

Last edited by Murders23; August 1st, 2015 at 03:10 PM..
Old August 2nd, 2015, 02:00 PM  
The Jester

That actually sounds like a spun rod or severely bent valve or something along those lines to me.
Old August 5th, 2015, 05:36 AM  

Most likely g oing to attempt doing the swap myself along with a buddy of mine. Going to gather up a some info on what tools would be needed and buy/ rent an engine hoist. Probably going to stick with the j30a5 at this point. Any tips and recomandation would be helpful.
Old August 5th, 2015, 06:56 AM  

Go harbour freight and pick up the cherry picker, breaker bar, torque wrench and few extra stuff
thisaznboi88 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 5th, 2015, 09:57 AM  

Thanks Ken. Looked at the cherry picker at harbour frieght probably just buy one. Got a breaker, need to pick up a torque wrench.
Old August 5th, 2015, 09:44 PM  
The Jester

Video camera/phone stand and tons of magnetic plates, and a way to bundle your bolts, parts, and a way to label them. Finding which bolt goes where is much easier even with a crappy camera angle.
Gloves are a good idea too, 2-3 sets if you're using cloth gloves vs mechanic gloves, since there's a lot of fluids in the engine in weird places that likes to pop out after you think its drained, and cloth gloves after a few dousings will become saturated.
Did I mention label and separate your bolts? Some of the most important ones take up more space than a 2L bottle in the head and mounts.

That said, enjoy it.
Old August 7th, 2015, 09:59 AM  
Bobby Lane Racing

if you don't get it fixed, i'll offer you $2,000 cash for the car as is the way it sits.
nighthawk04v6 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 7th, 2015, 10:34 AM  

Actually very easy to do. Just make sure you get everything unhooked and the engine harness out of the way before you pull the motor..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murders23 View Post
Most likely g oing to attempt doing the swap myself along with a buddy of mine. Going to gather up a some info on what tools would be needed and buy/ rent an engine hoist. Probably going to stick with the j30a5 at this point. Any tips and recomandation would be helpful.
bozos_si is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old August 7th, 2015, 09:52 PM  
The Jester

I'll bump it to 2500 as it sits if you drag it down a state!

Come to think of it swapping the engine's most complicated part is likely mounting and unmounting the transmission, with minimal disassembly, and even minimal fluids in MT. Still going to recommend my overkill steps though
Old August 10th, 2015, 08:19 PM  

The car is stil sitting in the garage even tho it still runs. Ive been lagging havent done anything. I think I would part it if it came to worst case. The exterior and interior is in great shape w/ navi, and lip kit.
Old August 10th, 2015, 08:34 PM  

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Last edited by Murders23; August 10th, 2015 at 08:48 PM..
Old September 7th, 2015, 03:47 PM  

hope you get it fixed man, and thanks for selling me your exhaust
Joseph Lee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old September 9th, 2015, 04:06 PM  

I paid $500 or 600 shipped from B&R auto wrecking for a 75k mile J32a3. had the water pump, timing belt, tensioner, etc all done before the swap.

Went with a LUK clutch for like $150 shipped. Resurfaced the stock flywheel. got about 10k on it now and runs great.
spectre86 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old September 10th, 2015, 03:49 PM  
The Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre86 View Post
I paid $500 or 600 shipped from B&R auto wrecking for a 75k mile J32a3. had the water pump, timing belt, tensioner, etc all done before the swap.

Went with a LUK clutch for like $150 shipped. Resurfaced the stock flywheel. got about 10k on it now and runs great.
That's a steal of a motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in