My 04 EXV6 AT Progress Thread - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Ribbon Banner

Go Back   Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums > CAR SPECIFIC DISCUSSION > 7TH GENERATION HONDA ACCORD (2003-2007)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Insurance
V6Performance.net is the premier Honda Accord Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2016, 02:08 PM   #1

My 04 EXV6 AT Progress Thread

Figured I would create a thread to capture all of the changes I'll be making soon to my Accord. Finally got the mod bug after owning this car for almost 5 years now, modded my Galant pretty heavily and bought this car as a transition into "growing up". Now I want to make it a little different from all of the other Accords without adding any tackyness/rice/ over the top mods.

Pretty much OEM now except paint job, a girl hit my car while it was parked at work so I used the insurance money to get it completely repainted to Slate Grey by Maaco. OK work, not great, but hard to tell where the flaws are unless you go searching.

This color changes a lot based on the amount of sunshine, I like it.

I also have a Kicker L7 being powered by an MTX amp, the model number escapes me but bumps plenty loud inside and is pretty quiet from the outside, and i still have access to my spare tire compartment which was very important to me.

Recently, I ordered some eBay Projectors (I know you all hate them but I legitimately cannot see at night with the halogen setup and I wasn't spending the money nor time learning how to do a retrofit) and will pair them with a Kensun HID kit, Nokya H1 Hyper yellows and Nokya 1157 hyper yellow turn signals. Should fix my visibility issues, I had eBay projectors in my Galant and after tinkering with the cutoff lines for a while I could see great. Very much a need-decision more than a want-decision.

Projectors:

HIDs (rated as some of the brightest ever on Amazon):

H1:

1157:

I also purchased a DC Sports CAI, the 5529.

I also ordered an HFP style lip made of PolyUrethane from eBay which I assume will need some modding to fit, but for 100 bucks I can work with that

I plan on cutting the exhaust tips off and tracing around the bumper cutout and installing some muffler tips as well. I hate the downwards angled mufflers.

Everything has arrived, picking up the CAI and Headlights from UPS in a few hours and will install everything minus the lip (will only fit it up then take it to be painted) and will do the bumper/exhaust job a little later.

Future plans also include painting my wheels to match the car body, or maybe slightly darker, havent decided. If I come across TL/TSX wheels for cheap, I will likely pick them up as a replacement and paint those.

Also contemplating the RSB and FSB upgrades but will not consider lowering the car so I am not sure the Sway Bars will be worth it.

Thanks - Arel
Serstylz2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2016, 02:19 PM   #2

should have bought some retrofits. Someone selling a set for 300 way better lighting. Those ebay headlights are going to be iffy. Also those ballast are pretty iffy also.

theretrofitsource has all your legit hid stuff
flylow2cre8 and Serstylz2 like this.
thisaznboi88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 2nd, 2016, 07:09 PM   #3
Mr. Detail

Hit up Albin Salinas on Facebook. Bought a plug and play HID retrofit set up from him. $460 shipped including bulbs and ballasts. And they look factory. No ricer black chrome or LED strips. He builds them himself, sort of a hobby I guess. Fast shipping too, had them in 3 days. Can't say enough good things about how nice the lights are.

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Beam pattern is massive

&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]">

Oh, and anti-roll bars absolutely are worth whether you lower your car or not. I've got the TL-S front bar and a Progress 24 mm rear bar Massive improvement, corners so much flatter now. What I did with my exhaust was completely black out the mufflers and pipes behind it, gives it a real stealth look.
Serstylz2 likes this.
Scottwax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old March 3rd, 2016, 04:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback so far. I don't see myself spending upwards $300 to $460 for headlights, but maybe if these don't work I'll have to splurge and get the retrofit. I'm DEFINITELY not hooking up the Halos or LEDS on these. They will probably crap out soon anyway.

Everything has arrived, contemplating taking off of work tomorrow to install it off because I'll be busy Saturday and Sunday. Really don't want to spend any more nights driving blind

Old March 3rd, 2016, 05:11 PM   #5

Installed some LEDS in my dome front seat.. totally forgot the rear dome bulb, but it allows you to see how much of a difference these new bulbs make.

Rear stock bulb

LEDS
Old March 4th, 2016, 07:29 AM   #6

Let us know how that DC CAI works out. I'm looking at the same one!

Last edited by LTFA182; March 4th, 2016 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Spell check
LTFA182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 4th, 2016, 07:33 AM   #7

I also always wondered about macco paint jobs...like do they last?
Old March 4th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #8

Long day, few pics ahead... took off of work to do the CAI and headlights, ended up only getting the CAI installed.

First, some "before" pics for the history books. Again, only tint, Maaco repaint and sound system at this point, along with Aux input on stock radio (which I'll have to upgrade eventually, got some cheap Amazon one for my bday and it gives me terrible feedback). And it's dirty.

Mid-teardown of stock intake box.. had no idea it would take so much to get it out

Installed

Question, this is where and how I mounted it, good or bad?

Also, the directions told me to loop this hose beneath the intake pipe and back up to the breather inlet but if I did it that way, the hose would kink at close to 90 degrees and ultimately block some clean air flow, so I decided to do this. Future problem on my hands? Looks janky too, may just get a longer hose that will properly wrap underneath.

That's all for today, headlights hopefully going in with no issues tomorrow. I test fit the eBay lip and it fit PERFECTLY. Will snap pictures tomorrow. Thanks everyone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 5th, 2016, 04:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTFA182 View Post
I also always wondered about macco paint jobs...like do they last?
This is my 2nd one, they definitely aren't top notch but work out fine. Will likely habe flaws such as over spray in inconspicuous areas. Usually you have to ask them to sand the old paint off or they will paint over the old. For 550 though I am satisfied with the work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 5th, 2016, 03:14 PM   #10

Finished today, looking forward to seeing the bulbs at night. I ordered hyper yellow 1157s and eBay seller sent me 1156s, definitely have to get them in to match the high beams. Ran it thru a quick wash too. Got some shots of the lip as well, holding itself up. The "flaring" at the wheel well will be negated with the screws, shouldnt require any modification. Definitely want to paint my wheels soon.

Old March 5th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Let us know how that DC CAI works out. I'm looking at the same one!
I have a "new-in-box" CAI that I'd be willing to sell...

sorry for the thread hijack, nice car BTW. I also have a rear swaybar for sale if you are interested... I think it's the TL bar. I did just the rear bar for a while before I finally got a bigger one when I changed the front SB also...
booley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 6th, 2016, 01:02 AM   #12

looks like its coming along

nice to see another Graphite Pearl Accord on V6P

question, does that Air Filter come pre-oiled? i'm thinking probably not...you should grab a K&N Recharge Kit for when it gets dirty. not 100% sure though if you can use it on that type of Filter media...you could always Message DC Sports for a definitive answer

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=99-5050

i've always used K&N Filters and never had any probs
2i2dk1ny2i3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 6th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serstylz2 View Post
This is my 2nd one, they definitely aren't top notch but work out fine. Will likely habe flaws such as over spray in inconspicuous areas. Usually you have to ask them to sand the old paint off or they will paint over the old. For 550 though I am satisfied with the work
What package did you get when you got it painted? I mean it looks nice.
Old March 6th, 2016, 06:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2i2dk1ny2i3 View Post
looks like its coming along

nice to see another Graphite Pearl Accord on V6P

question, does that Air Filter come pre-oiled? i'm thinking probably not...you should grab a K&N Recharge Kit for when it gets dirty. not 100% sure though if you can use it on that type of Filter media...you could always Message DC Sports for a definitive answer

K&N 99-5050 Filter Care Service Kit - Squeeze, Filter Cleaning Kits and Accessories

i've always used K&N Filters and never had any probs
Yes it's pre-oiled, and the end is a water shield of sorts. Good quality.

Quote:
What package did you get when you got it painted? I mean it looks nice.
I got the Premium package

Old March 6th, 2016, 06:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisaznboi88 View Post
should have bought some retrofits. Someone selling a set for 300 way better lighting. Those ebay headlights are going to be iffy. Also those ballast are pretty iffy also.

theretrofitsource has all your legit hid stuff
any idea who that was selling for 300? and I assume that's a used price?

Have rode with the projectors 2 nights now, has a clear cutoff but BAD hot spots. V-shaped light beams on the road ahead of me. Will have to adjust them next weekend, not in the mood to rip the bumper off again. If that doesn't help, I'll be fine riding around with them until I can find a decent priced retrofit. They look very nice on the car though, matches the paint much better than the OEMs

Old March 7th, 2016, 06:44 AM   #16

Quote:
any idea who that was selling for 300? and I assume that's a used price?

Have rode with the projectors 2 nights now, has a clear cutoff but BAD hot spots. V-shaped light beams on the road ahead of me. Will have to adjust them next weekend, not in the mood to rip the bumper off again. If that doesn't help, I'll be fine riding around with them until I can find a decent priced retrofit. They look very nice on the car though, matches the paint much better than the OEMs
I have the Kensun kit too. They've been working great, but the connectors didn't fit right for me. I had to sand down the little tabs so they would go in. So those eBay lights help with spraying light all over the place?
Old March 7th, 2016, 10:00 AM   #17

Quote:
I have the Kensun kit too. They've been working great, but the connectors didn't fit right for me. I had to sand down the little tabs so they would go in. So those eBay lights help with spraying light all over the place?
My headlight progression has done like this: OEM, cheap HID kit in OEM housings, back to OEM when the HID kit died, Kensun HID with the eBay projectors.

Out of all those setups, the HID kit in OEM housings so far worked the best for me visibility-wise. These projectors have bad hot spots and cause dark areas ahead of me. They can probably be negated with adjustments, hopefully, but if not I'll have to eventually swap them out.

Here's some pics to show you what I mean:

You can see there's a cutoff but the hot spots are bad

After watching this video, I'm not too intimidated to try my own retrofit project. Thought there was much more to it. Will add that to the list, will grab some dark housing OEM heads and take my time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA9B86yN4nY

Old March 7th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #18
Mr. Detail

Yeah, those pics are why I went the retrofit route. I just randomly posted on the facebook group for V6 accords about wanting a set of HID ready headlights that looked stock and didn't have all the goofy ricer stuff. Albin got back to me with pics and specs on what he builds and made a deal for them that night.

Just FYI, he used Morimoto projectors with E55 shrouds. Hope that helps point you in the right direction.
Serstylz2 likes this.
Old March 7th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwax View Post
Yeah, those pics are why I went the retrofit route. I just randomly posted on the facebook group for V6 accords about wanting a set of HID ready headlights that looked stock and didn't have all the goofy ricer stuff. Albin got back to me with pics and specs on what he builds and made a deal for them that night.

Just FYI, he used Morimoto projectors with E55 shrouds. Hope that helps point you in the right direction.
I would love this guys info. Definitely interested in getting some retros
Old March 7th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #20

Quote:
My headlight progression has done like this: OEM, cheap HID kit in OEM housings, back to OEM when the HID kit died, Kensun HID with the eBay projectors.

Out of all those setups, the HID kit in OEM housings so far worked the best for me visibility-wise. These projectors have bad hot spots and cause dark areas ahead of me. They can probably be negated with adjustments, hopefully, but if not I'll have to eventually swap them out.

Here's some pics to show you what I mean:

You can see there's a cutoff but the hot spots are bad

After watching this video, I'm not too intimidated to try my own retrofit project. Thought there was much more to it. Will add that to the list, will grab some dark housing OEM heads and take my time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA9B86yN4nY
Appreciate those pics. I can definitely see those dark spots. I think I'll stick to OEM housings for now.
Old March 7th, 2016, 11:32 PM   #21
Mr. Detail

Quote:
I would love this guys info. Definitely interested in getting some retros
https://www.facebook.com/albin.salinas
Serstylz2 likes this.

2004 Infiniti G35 6MT. Also super shiny.
Old March 8th, 2016, 12:07 AM   #22
The Jester

He does good work, i'm not going to make any other references, scott has the right guy listed up there to get you what you need and what you want.
Scottwax and Serstylz2 like this.
oraclem19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:30 AM   #23

Retrofit heads are on the project list. Simply won't tell myself to be satisfied with this light output. Thanks for the recommendation above, if all else fails on my own retrofit at least I know I have a backup option.

Checked a youtube link on removing rear bumper.. even easier than front bumper.. gonna go ahead and do the rear bumper/exhaust tip mod next when i find a free weekend. Also really wanting to paint wheels asap, will likely require another Friday off of work.
Old March 11th, 2016, 01:22 PM   #24

Timing belt and water pump getting replaced tomorrow. Local dealership has some deal running for $130 off, my price should be around 590 for it
Old March 16th, 2016, 08:35 AM   #25

Really feeling like this car will run forever now that the timing belt and water pump have been addressed. Will have free time next Sat, going to go after the rear bumper mod, will likely also drop my lip off for paint
Old March 28th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #26

No major updates. just changed out my Amber turn signals for Nokya Hyper Yellow to match my high beams better.

Was planning to do the bumper mod this weekend but my flag football schedule got changed, went from weekend off to 6 games in a row.

Dropped my lip off for paint, should be getting that back today or tomorrow
Old April 4th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #27

Lip painted and installed, very easy install. Pleased with it.

Scottwax likes this.
Old April 10th, 2016, 05:22 PM   #28

Ordered the muffler tips. Going to take off work Friday for the rear bumper mod
Old April 14th, 2016, 10:08 AM   #29
dont deviate

Sup man. Front lip looks good, fitment looks great.
Does the engine sound throaty wit the CAI now?
Once you go retro you never go back, lesson that will be learned lol. Did you end up tinkering wit the projector to adjust output?
htekken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by htekken View Post
Sup man. Front lip looks good, fitment looks great.
Does the engine sound throaty wit the CAI now?
Once you go retro you never go back, lesson that will be learned lol. Did you end up tinkering wit the projector to adjust output?
Very throaty. WOT is insanely loud. I had plans to fix the output this past Friday but ran out of time. Was able to get the rear bumper mod done so pics coming soon. Not fully satisfied with my cutting skills so I will probably take it to a body shop for some fine tuning. Love the lip though, so far it's my fav mod

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Chapter
Choose your AV6 Chapter Location
Ride
What do you drive?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in